Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Police State: New laws with e100 on the spot fines for being drunk in public

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I can't wait for film.

Police Nanny State 7: We be Bitchin' - written, directed and staring an ensemble cast from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

/faceplant

oki-dokey, just so I have this straight in my head: if you want to go for a few quiet drinks in your local you MUST have a designated driver with you / be prepared to pay extortionate taxi fees.

however if you want to have a good night then you need to have been to the offy before 10pm and drink in a house.

so seeing as a lot of people, like me, enjoy the pub life we are going to see traffic congestion increase atleast 3 fold.

the Irish Government does it again *claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dragan wrote: »
    I see this thread turning into another whinge fest from people banging on about freedom and all that jazz when it's not going to be valid.

Now now I really don't think that was Run_to_da_hills intention when starting this thread.

/removes tongue from cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh this will just become the shikiloneys own "i dont like the look of ye" tax or possibly their "respect ma authortay" fine. The Gardai have beaucoup discretionary powers as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Upcoming Police State: New laws with e100 on the spot fines for being drunk in public

:confused: In Ireland :confused: do they ever like.... leave the barracks at d'weekend and look around?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dragan wrote: »
    Delighted myself. Walking through town at night over the weekends is like fighting a sea of drunken morons.

couldn't agree more, the average joe is perfectly safe from this law, this only affects those retards who get ****faced and are a danger to themselfs and others

fully supported from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

meh, its not like any boardsies have lives, let alone night lives anyway. all you computer addict just sit at home in ur boxers and get sloshed anyway.

this law wont concern you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

this should be merged with the "armed gardai" thread...lol

police going around shooting drunk people. gardai; NEENAW NEENAW NEENAW...*BANG BANG BANG*....gardai driveby..... "were gonna need some bigger guns...."

Irland is either going to;
    1. kill each other off
    2. or become a superpower with the increase in demand for shooting drunk people

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What about underage drinkers, any fines there???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What about underage drinkers, any fines there???

Hmmm, I don't think so. I imagine that it's still a court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Just as we thought things were getting bad for off licences and night clubs closing early, Gardai are now given new powers to issue e100 on the spot fines to anyone caught drunk in public and e140 for those that are drunk and disorderly in public. The Gardai will have a field day in any city or large town in Ireland.

This is just another definite move towards a police run state.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7616715.stm

Do you ever start threads that don't involve a some kind of whine about the imaginary police state we're all going to be living in?

I'm just curious, is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cabaal wrote: »
    couldn't agree more, the average joe is perfectly safe from this law, this only affects those retards who get ****faced and are a danger to themselfs and others

fully supported from me!

Not necessarily. Like I said, I'm sure that most gardaí will apply common sense in its enforcement but all it takes is running into one garda having a bad day and you're €100 out of pocket. It's the terms I disagree with, make it illegal to be drunk and acting the maggot, not simply drunk but otherwise keeping out of harms way.

Ireland is suffering far too much from a syndrome of making up laws that make no sense and then saying "ah sure the Gardaí won't enforce them anyway" rather than writing the laws properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I just read this on the bbc site... Like seriously... this is taking the piss to a different level

Imagine a town of at least 10000 people drunk at the weekend how much would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Are any of the people complaining actually paying attention to the "danger to yourselves or others aspect?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

^ that would be drunk and disorderly would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup. Why have separate fines for "drunk" and "drunk and disorderly" when it's the latter who are the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Drunk = just that. Think of those few folk you see about town everynight who have trouble walking/standing etc. The cops need to get those guys home. As such, you have cops playing taxi driver to morons who can't control their intakes.

Drunk and disorderly = the type of dickheads who get in fights, break windows, throw **** about etc.

Fairly easy to distinguish the two and one would be more serious the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Tis a loada cow pat

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I just read this on the bbc site... Like seriously... this is taking the piss to a different level

Imagine a town of at least 10000 people drunk at the weekend how much would that be?

I wonder do some people only read the posts they want to read.

If the 10000 drunk people are all acting reasonably then there should be no problem. The law is in place to protect people who are a danger to themselves and others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Will this new law kill off the traditional stag party?

A group of say 20 guys on the pi*ss on a stag night pub crawl could net the Government coffers a nice e2400 if apprehended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ponster wrote: »
    I wonder do some people only read the posts they want to read.

If the 10000 drunk people are all acting reasonably then there should be no problem. The law is in place to protect people who are a danger to themselves and others.

This is what i read "This is 100 euro for being drunk in public or 140 euro for being drunk and disorderly. "

from

Anyone caught being drunk in public in the Republic of Ireland now faces an on-the-spot fine.
    New regulations allow gardaí to issue a fixed-penalty notice to anyone who has committed a public order offence.
    The offender then has the option of either facing prosecution through the courts or of paying a one-off fixed fine.
    This is 100 euro for being drunk in public or 140 euro for being drunk and disorderly.
    Once issued with a fine, offenders have up to 28 days to pay.
    Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said that the policy would hit offenders "in the pocket - where it will really hurt".
    The legislation follows a series of measures introduced last month to tackle public disorder in which gardaí were given the power to confiscate alcohol if public disorder was feared.
    The aim of the new measures is to save Garda time by removing the necessity for public order offenders to be prosecuted in court. The regulations, which Mr Ahern claims will allow gardaí to make more efficient and effective use of their resources, also enable them to direct a person to leave an area peacefully if they have become a nuisance.

A group of say 20 guys on the pi*ss on a stag night pub crawl could net the Government coffers a nice e2400 if apprehended.

*sigh*

I admit defeat. This thread is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hopefully.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    This is what i read "This is 100 euro for being drunk in public or 140 euro for being drunk and disorderly. "

from

Anyone caught being drunk in public in the Republic of Ireland now faces an on-the-spot fine.
    This is 100 euro for being drunk in public or 140 euro for being drunk and disorderly.

That's fine. But this law has been in place since 1994. Since then it has been in the Garda's power to do something about someone who was drunk in public and the power has probably been used quite often. The only thing that has changed is that now you can be fined €100/€140 rather than appearing in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

That because the garda can't be arsed going to court but will be more then will to spend 5 minutes handing out a fine ticket.
    Ponster wrote: »
    That's fine. But this law has been in place since 1994. Since then it has been in the Garda's power to do something about someone who was drunk in public and the power has probably been used quite often. The only thing that has changed is that now you can be fined €100/€140 rather than appearing in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Lads, there's no need to be sensationalist here. Being drunk is grand, as Dragan has pointed out, being drunk to such an extent as to be a danger to yourself or another is a different kettle of fish. Think about the guy who has wandered into oncoming traffic and decided to go for a nap. It costs the State money to babysit these people, to get them in an ambulance etc. Then it costs more money to process them in a court. The fine will stop this unnecessary clogging up of the system.

We have a serious problem with antisocial behaviour and drinking in this country. I assume the appeals process is still valid for this fine btw, as it is for fines issued for traffic offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Hang on, is it 100 for drunk and unreasonable or something? How is it anyone elses problem if you are drunk in public? Surely if you make it anyone elses problem,it falls under drunk and disorderly no? I dont see what this 100 fine could be for.

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    That because the garda can't be arsed going to court but will be more then will to spend 5 minutes handing out a fine ticket.

Your spot on, a much better use of police time is the half a day or so it takes to deal with that type of thing in court vs giving the person a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

BOFH_139 wrote: »

It costs the State a lot more to pay a judge for his time, free legal aid if applicable, translator if applicable and Garda time, just to prosecute one pisshead?! Sorry, I like my tax money to go to something a little more deserving than that.

Advertisement