Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Police State: New laws with e100 on the spot fines for being drunk in public

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid in Orwellian proportions, to steal a phrase from above.
    I dont think 'Orwellian' means what you think it means. Maybe if they serialise 1984 in The Irish Sun you might get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gixerfixer wrote: »
    FFS. What's next. Soon you wont be able to have a good time without a licence.
    You just said it. :D

"FFS. What's next. Soon you wont be able to have a good time without a licence (ID card)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭andrewlownie101

javaboy wrote: »
    Tell that to any Garda who has spent night after night separating drunken morons in fights. Or to the person who cleans up the puke or the glass or replaces the cones/road signs that are so irrestible to drunks on a Saturday night.

Or to someone like me or a good few people I know who have been attacked by drunks while minding their own business.

I mean I can accept that some people think this change is a violation of our liberties but to suggest that there is very little trouble caused by drunks is absolutely ridiculous.

There will always be the odd fight and I would not call moving a few signs on the way home a big problem. But here we having people condoning such violation of our liberties, instead of standing together, non-drinker aswell, and saying this is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CiaranC wrote: »
    I dont think 'Orwellian' means what you think it means. Maybe if they serialise 1984 in The Irish Sun you might get it.

The Animal Farm that the staff at the Sun recognise has nothing to do with Orwell :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

There will always be the odd fight and I would not call moving a few signs on the way home a big problem.

No I was kinda joking about the road signs but there is more than the odd fight and the Gardai often haven't got the manpower to stop the fights or do anything more than send the protagonists on their way.
    But here we having people condoning such violation of our liberties, instead of standing together, non-drinker aswell, and saying this is ridiculous!

Maybe some people don't view it as a violation of our liberties. Maybe they see it as a means of more efficient policing that might make a night out a little bit safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you are not going to be a ****ing idiot whilst drunk nor start fights etc then you have nothing to worry about thus what difference does it make to you? Is it that you want the right to be drunk and puke up and piss all around the place?

People are constantly giving out about the Gardai not doing enough but yet when they are given actual powers to do something you have others giving out that their rights to be ****ing idiots have been taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You don't know what your asking for.

Your the stupid (to use your term) person who obviously hasen't thought this process through to its logical conclusion.

I have thought it through. The logical conclusion is that criminal behaviour (and let's not beat about the bush, that's what this is) must, and will, be punished.
    The majority of irish like a drink, maybe even to get pissed at the weekend.

Yes, and the majority can control themselves afterwards and not cause a scene. I have no problem whatsoever with that.
    Why dont 'good guys' like yourself stay at home and let the rest of us at it.

I'm not going to do anything of the sort just to please you. I'm perfectly able to enjoy myself while at the same time choosing not to consume alcohol so that, for example, I can then drive home. Even if I did drink (and it's very likely that in the near future I will take it up :P ) I would not allow myself to end up a drunk, abusive mess.
    The fact is there is very little trouble caused by drunks, and this new law is another infraction of our rights.

That is quite clearly untrue. Next time you walk through Dublin at 2am sober, try opening your eyes.

I took it to mean inanely stupid or moronic.

EDIT: Yeah, I get the George Orwell reference now. I was thinking of Cromwell. My bad. :P

No I was kinda joking about the road signs but there is more than the odd fight and the Gardai often haven't got the manpower to stop the fights or do anything more than send the protagonists on their way.

Maybe some people don't view it as a violation of our liberties. Maybe they see it as a means of more efficient policing that might make a night out a little bit safer.

Franklin said:

"The person that gives up their liberty and freedom for temporary peace and safety, deserves neither peace or safety"

Wise words. People like you don't really know what your are ultimately asking for when condoning such violations like this crazy fine.

And why is it a fine? If the cops are so worried about our safety when drunk surley they would run us home in the squad car and tuck us into bed. No rip more hard earner money out of our already slim wallet!

I took it to mean inanely stupid or moronic. Quite an apt description, I would have thought, for someone who pillaged, raped (probably), murdered and ended up dead as a direct result.

Cromwellian=/=Orwellian

lol, wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cromwellian=/=Orwellian

Edited, GTFO :D

That said, I'm tempted to edit my original post to read 'Cormwellian' now...describes the level of stupidity quite well given my above reasoning.

Will they ever make up their minds?
    Do they want us to drink or not?

I have thought it through. The logical conclusion is that criminal behaviour (and let's not beat about the bush, that's what this is) must, and will, be punished.

Yes, and the majority can control themselves afterwards and not cause a scene. I have no problem whatsoever with that.

I'm not going to do anything of the sort just to please you. I'm perfectly able to enjoy myself while at the same time choosing not to consume alcohol so that, for example, I can then drive home. Even if I did drink (and it's very likely that in the near future I will take it up :P ) I would not allow myself to end up a drunk, abusive mess.

That is quite clearly untrue. Next time you walk through Dublin at 2am sober, try opening your eyes.

Your a vary narrow minded person.

Firstly, Orwellian would normally refer to the police/government run state portrayed in 1984.

Second, you seem to have such a high opinion of yourself. I would love to see you have one to many and puke. But you'd be lucky, cos the gards would be there to take your taxi money out of your pocket and you'd be totally had then. Maybe you'd reconsider you simplistic view of silly taxes and laws.

Time to say no to violations of our rights. How long before the gards say its illegal to be on the streets after 2am?? Then that'll be change to 12 midnight, then you won't be able to drink or go out. A curfew will be the logical conclusion to such crazy laws. But that would be good, because it would stop all 'flights' and 'loutish' behavior. We'd all be safe!

Franklin said:

"The person that gives up their liberty and freedom for temporary peace and safety, deserves neither peace or safety"

What liberty and freedom? There's a law there already and this is a more efficient way to punish people who break it.
    Wise words. People like you don't really know what your are ultimately asking for when condoning such violations like this crazy fine.

I do actually. I am asking for people who break the law to be punished. Quite clearly people get rat arsed on a regular basis and almost never get prosecuted or punished because the resources are not there.
    And why is it a fine? If the cops are so worried about our safety when drunk surley they would run us home in the squad car and tuck us into bed. No rip more hard earner money out of our already slim wallet!

Because that squad car is out of commission while it drives you home. Handing out a fine would presumably be a lot quicker.

axer wrote: »
    If you are not going to be a ****ing idiot whilst drunk nor start fights etc then you have nothing to worry about thus what difference does it make to you? Is it that you want the right to be drunk and puke up and piss all around the place?

People are constantly giving out about the Gardai not doing enough but yet when they are given actual powers to do something you have others giving out that their rights to be ****ing idiots have been taken away.
    Ah the old 'if youre doing nothing wrong youve nothing to worry about' argument is it?

I dont give out about the Gardai not doing enough, as I am not of the sky-is-falling-country-is-going-down-the-tubes brigade, unlike a lot of folks on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Me and 2 mates are hitting the town on fri and saturday night.

The normal weekend is getting pissed, pulling some birds and going home to enjoy ourselves. No hassle caused to anyone.

This weekend the plan is to stay absolutely sober, but run around the town shouting, screaming, dancing, singing etc,. Generally making an absolute nuisance of ourselves, while hoping to attract the cops.

When the cops waddle along with their breathlyser and we refuse to 'blow', while we turn on the stone cold sober poise, they won't know what to do.

Its time to say NO to these crazy laws and taxes. And define drunk?
    You'd be arrested for disturbing the peace and it'll be well deserved.

kowloon wrote: »
    Will they ever make up their minds?
    Do they want us to drink or not?
    Good question, the state coffers that are currently passing these laws are currently piss**ing in their pants about the current financial deficit and how country is rapidly going down the toilet and at the same time they are choking the golden goose :confused: ??

What liberty and freedom? There's a law there already and this is a more efficient way to punish people who break it.

I do actually. I am asking for people who break the law to be punished. Quite clearly people get rat arsed on a regular basis and almost never get prosecuted or punished because the resources are not there.

Because that squad car is out of commission while it drives you home. Handing out a fine would presumably be a lot quicker.

Bit by bit people give away their liberties until eventually they cannot breath without breaking the law. This will come into effect with the carbon taxes. By our very living we will be breaking the law.

Why don't you and all the people like you run off a cliff. It would reduce the population and the police would have less work to do. We'd all be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah the old 'if youre doing nothing wrong youve nothing to worry about' argument is it?

I dont give out about the Gardai not doing enough, as I am not of the sky-is-falling-country-is-going-down-the-tubes brigade, unlike a lot of folks on here.

Just make sure the guy acorss the street / ten yards behind you looks more pissed than you are...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Bit by bit people give away their liberties until eventually they cannot breath without breaking the law. This will come into effect with the carbon taxes. By our very living we will be breaking the law.

Why don't you and all the people like you run off a cliff. It would reduce the population and the police would have less work to do. We'd all be happy.
    You might be onto something there.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    You'd be arrested for disturbing the peace and it'll be well deserved.

But no e100 fine?? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Im going out this weekend with my mates to cause absolute havoc around the city while sober. I will have no ID in my pocket and no money. ;)

Down with the police state.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Just make sure the guy acorss the street / ten yards behind you looks more pissed than you are...!
    That won't make any difference, you will be still caught on CCTV. :D

Do you actually think this will happen? Please let me know so I can stop wasting my time debating with you.

Nice. I disagree with you so you recommend I kill myself.

Good question, the state coffers that are currently passing these laws are currently piss**ing in their pants about the current financial deficit and how country is rapidly going down the toilet and at the same time they are choking the golden goose :confused: ??

Exactly, smoking, drinking and petrol are great money cows.
    They have their filthy mits in everything though.

Do you actually think this will happen? Please let me know so I can stop wasting my time debating with you.

Yeah I do, because people like you reduce everyone liberties and eventually we will all have to jump off a cliff in unision like a group of sheep, that is actually what you are asking for, but dont realise.

As for the carbon taxes, we will soon have to pay a tax for breathing. If we dont we'll be locked up. They question here is, do we breath less in the clink? :D:D

If only all arguments were brought to a successful conclusion by the shrewd employment of logic :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

What a stupid new rule. What are you supposed to do when you leave the nightclub??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But no e100 fine??

Im going out this weekend with my mates to cause absolute havoc around the city while sober. I will have no ID in my pocket and no money.

Down with the police state.
    You do realise that isn't a victory. You're just acting like a scumbag which will make people realise that we need police on the streets to get rid of people like you. As Chief Wiggum said to Homer, "Dig up stupid!"

Yeah I do, because people like you reduce everyone liberties and eventually we will all have to jump off a cliff in unision like a group of sheep, that is actually what you are asking for, but dont realise.

Oh thank you for opening my eyes. I was once a sheep but andrew showed me the way. :rolleyes:
    As for the carbon taxes, we will soon have to pay a tax for breathing. If we dont we'll be locked up. They question here is, do we breath less in the clink? :D:D

Tell you what. If and when that happens, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner and cover your exhalation costs for life. Deal?

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    What a stupid new rule. What are you supposed to do when you leave the nightclub??

Leave the building in an orderly fashion and quietly go home.

Advertisement