Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Police State: New laws with e100 on the spot fines for being drunk in public

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Like as far as I comprehend, its just for being drunk. Even if your doing nothing bad like hitting people.

I just dont like when laws designed to get the 'bad' guys end up hurting the 'good' guys more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭andrewlownie101

humanji wrote: »
    You do realise that isn't a victory. You're just acting like a scumbag which will make people realise that we need police on the streets to get rid of people like you. As Chief Wiggum said to Homer, "Dig up stupid!"

Silience is consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

turgon wrote: »
    I just dont like when laws designed to get the 'bad' guys end up hurting the 'good' guys more.

Don't take up target shooting as a hobby so ;).

kowloon wrote: »
    Leave the building in an orderly fashion and quietly go home.

But I understand that the fine is just for being drunk full stop (.). Even if you are timid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Jesus thats a load of bollocks. Gards will run wild, knowing a few of them I wouldnt be surprised to see them pocket a few.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Like as far as I comprehend, its just for being drunk. Even if your doing nothing bad like hitting people.

All laws are designed to 'get' us all. Don't think the cops are there to help. They want taxes and power.

This is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cops are people too. People are nothing if not selfish, stupid, petty creatures. I don't like other people having power over me. Especially when its ambiguous discretionary power.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Leave the building in an orderly fashion and quietly go home.
    Yes but technically, you can still be fined for doing just that. Why make such a law? It makes no sense to me. And it makes even less sense that some clowns think its a good idea.

How about, if we really have to make laws like this, we actually make laws that make something harmful illegal, instead of just giving the police carte blanche to fine anyone they like? Crazy, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why stop with a taser? Just use hollow point bullets on anyway consider a pint. :eek:

Im surprised you have time to point here, im sure the non-drinkers forum is such good craic! :rolleyes:
    Sorry mate but I have to ban you from the ND forum for badmouthing it

It has to be done, you have to be made an example of. Sorry.

But I understand that the fine is just for being drunk full stop (.). Even if you are timid etc

I think the official line is the bar should stop serving you before you're drunk.

Remember: practicality and law are very different.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »

The admins should make a forum rule letting you ban anyone you like. Sure you wont use it, youre a good bloke. And anyway Im a good boy, I'll never break the rules, so it doesnt affect me.

Probably your first ban ever, I can't imagine the non-drinking personality giving up much grief! :p

you have to be made an example of.

BOARDS IS A POLICE STATE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

isn't it already an offence to be drunk in a public place ? i'ts just the fine was 2'n'sixpence or something? If so, then ive no problem updating the law accordingly, but a bit pointless trying to enforce it without a proper national ID card.

in the end, if you're walking home late at night, pissed, but not causing any problems, not being a danger to yourself or others, then you're very unlikely to come to the attention of a guard. Besides if you do for some reason draw attention to yourself, and pass the attitude test, i'm pretty sure you'll be allowed go on your merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Lads, just give up the auld gargle and go for a walk in the park instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the powers that be are dragging this country into 21st century maturity and "petulant teenager ireland" doesnt want to go. boo hoo, grow up. if you're not a cnut this wont affect you. we're a modern country and its time to start acting like it, this attitute of "ah sure it'll be grand" has gone on long enough, time to ditch this gombeenism and act our age.

if we become a police state we've only the populace of the country to blame...theres no other option because you only have to go through any town in ireland on a saturday night and you see how idiotic our countrymen are.

I for one welcome our new fine handing out garda overlords....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

marcsignal wrote: »
    isn't it already an offence to be drunk in a public place ? i'ts just the fine was 2'n'sixpence or something? If so, then ive no problem updating the law accordingly, but a bit pointless trying to enforce it without a proper national ID card.

in the end, if you're walking home late at night, pissed, but not causing any problems, not being a danger to yourself or others, then you're very unlikely to come to the attention of a guard. Besides if you do for some reason draw attention to yourself, and pass the attitude test, i'm pretty sure you'll be allowed go on your merry way.

Exactly. A bit of common sense is needed. There are probably half a dozen laws out there that the Gardai could already nab most people for if they were so inclined. The simple fact is that most of them aren't out to get you. And those who are don't need a law like this to harass you.

Most people will not come to the attention of the Gardai when a little tipsy and so will have nothing to worry about.

shayser wrote: »
    Lads, just give up the auld gargle and go for a walk in the park instead.

That article is from the Daily Mail. Can you link to the same story in a more reputable newspaper? I imagine it would read slightly more rationally.

It's ironic that it's rags like the Daily Mail that have people living in fear of park paedos in the first place.

Will the proof of drunkeness be the same as with driving?
    I can imagine our highly efficient authorities figuring out a way of making the process of getting the €100 fine cost €200.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the powers that be are dragging this country into 21st century maturity and "petulant teenager ireland" doesnt want to go. boo hoo, grow up. if you're not a cnut this wont affect you. we're a modern country and its time to start acting like it, this attitute of "ah sure it'll be grand" has gone on long enough, time to ditch this gombeenism and act our age.

if we become a police state we've only the populace of the country to blame...theres no other option because you only have to go through any town in ireland on a saturday night and you see how idiotic our countrymen are.

I for one welcome our new fine handing out garda overlords....

Your the idiotic one, not the people out on a saturday night enjoying themselves after slogging all week to pay their taxes, only to be caught for another e100 of the cops who they had to work all week to pay the salary off!

Your a 'new ireland' 'modern' person with no intellect, a sheep.

Is there any law of additional tax you would not agreet to! :eek:

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    That article is from the Daily Mail. Can you link to the same story in a more reputable newspaper? I imagine it would read slightly more rationally.

It's ironic that it's rags like the Daily Mail that have people living in fear of park paedos in the first place.

The fact that the daily mail published it dosent make it anyless a fact.

Waken up.

The simple fact is that most of them aren't out to get you.
    Ah sure thats grand. I feel better about it now. Sure we should definately have laws that let them fine anyone they like in that case.

And sure seeing as theres only some of them out to get us, we can do away with the whole due process in court bit as well. It costs a fortune and its only scumbags (e.g. not us, the good(tm) people) that end up in there anyway.

You need a problem to report a problem, why wait for a problem to develop by itself when you can create one?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Stark wrote: »
    I think the problem is the fine is for being "drunk" rather than being "drunk and disorderly". ie: according to the terms of the law, you could be on your way from the pub to the Nitelink and be fined 100 euro simply for being out on the street after drinking. I know the Gardaí will probably apply a common sense approach but still. Why use the term "drunk" when the intention is to crack down on people who are "disorderly"?

Some Gardai will apply a common sense approach. Being drunk and disorderly I agree with. I know what problems that brings as I am a taxi driver. But somebody who has had a few pints and is just walking up the road to home minding their business and not bothering anyone. If they come upon a Gardai are they going to be fined 100 euro.

This country is gone to hell altogether.

The fact that the daily mail published it dosent make it anyless a fact.

Waken up.

I'm skeptical on that one tbh.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Ah sure thats grand. I feel better about it now. Sure we should definately have laws that let them fine anyone they like in that case.

And sure seeing as theres only some of them out to get us, we can do away with the whole due process in court bit as well. It costs a fortune and its only scumbags (e.g. not us, the good(tm) people) that end up in there anyway.

Who has suggested doing away with due process? If the right to not pay the fine and to contest the charge in court is eliminated, I'll be down at the Dáil protesting with the rest of you. I doubt that will be the case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Probably your first ban ever, I can't imagine the non-drinking personality giving up much grief! :p
    Nah I usually ban people to get a rise out of them, and once they start a thread in Feedback I unban them quickly and pretend they're crazy! Makes the place a bit more interesting y'see.......

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Anyone else feel lik this is turnin into the society seen in V for Vendetta?

ridiculous.. prob use my vote to punish who's in power now.

You need a problem to report a problem, why wait for a problem to develop by itself when you can create one?

A bit like Elliot Carver in that Bond film? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Your the idiotic one, not the people out on a saturday night enjoying themselves after slogging all week to pay their taxes, only to be caught for another e100 of the cops who they had to work all week to pay the salary off!

Your a 'new ireland' 'modern' person with no intellect, a sheep.

Is there any law of additional tax you would not agreet to! :eek:

I can go out any night of the week, get as drunk as i like, and walk home and i KNOW i'll never be fined. why? cos i dont look for it and draw attention to myself.

And you know f**k all about me sunshine, so watch the insults...slogging all week doesnt earn you the right to kick the **** out of someone outside supermacs just cos you feel like it. thats not civilised behaviour and if this enforcement hastens its demise, i'm all for it. but i'm sure you're intimately familiar with a supermacs floor....

• Advertisement

A bit like Elliot Carver in that Bond film? :D

Except on a bigger scale :D.

Advertisement