Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3G Abroad

• 15-09-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Going away soon and want to use my GPS maps abroad, I know If I leave data roaming on Ill be charged a fortune, is there anyway around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

akadesign wrote: »
    Going away soon and want to use my GPS maps abroad, I know If I leave data roaming on Ill be charged a fortune, is there anyway around this?

Has been answered in the larger thread but thats a bit big and unruly for searching perhaps.

The easiest way around is to just load a large map view of the area you are in(zoom out to capture a larger area) while in a wifi area(your hotel) this will be cached on the phone, leave data roaming off then while out and about you will be able to use the cached map, gps works independent of internet access and will locate you on your cached map but you will not be able to get routes or search for locations within the map.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good advice Rob, but is there anyway to save maps onto the memory? with the maps in the cache they are only available till a restart is needed, and lately, for me at least, that seems to be more often. Cache "forgets" everything upon restart so you're way, whilst being a good idea can't really be depended on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

So effectively the more bookmarks and cache view of maps I have the better? Its a pain that it can't give you routes from cache memory.

Anyway good tip Rob Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you unlock it there is an app that allows you to cache maps "Maps Offline".

Advertisement