Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh1teCyclists

Options
  • 15-09-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any opinion on this (sits back and waits for new comments to be posted...)

http://****edrivers.com/2008/08/20/****e-cyclists/

Mine was the first reply ("Cyclist" - trying to be diplomatic).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Typical stuff really... not much to be added to the conversation -I rarely use bike lanes, simply because they are not fit for their purpose. Where they are, I'll use them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

One of my hugest peeves as a taxi driver is cyclists using the bus-lane on the N11 when there’s a PERFECT (accessable) cycle lane right beside it. This is beyond dangerous, it’s arrogant and stupid

Well there we have it, the N11 cycletrack is perfect. Everyone must use this track from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Well the bus/cycle lane pretty much is. The pedestrian/cycle lane not so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam, is there something missing from that link? All I'm getting is a blank page.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

rflynnr wrote: »
    Raam, is there something missing from that link? All I'm getting is a blank page.

s h i t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I certainly am not...oh, I see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its almost laughable. I regularly have to abandon the cycle lane because someone is walking on it, parked on it, road works are being done there, road works somewhere else but the cycle lane is the most convenient place to park everything, badly paved cycle lanes, cycle lanes littered with debris, cycle lanes covered in moss (not good in these wet conditions), the list goes on.

I don't think people do it to get up drivers noses, the plain and simple truth is that the cycle lanes are just not well maintained and often times are hazardous places to be. The road, on the other hand is generally clear of debris, pedestrians and parked cars.

I cycle the same route every day, and I have identified my cycle lane "hot spots" where I refuse to use them for safety reasons. I will avoid getting into a bother about my theories on cycle lanes for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Its almost laughable. I regularly have to abandon the cycle lane because someone is walking on it, parked on it, road works are being done there, road works somewhere else but the cycle lane is the most convenient place to park everything, badly paved cycle lanes, cycle lanes littered with debris, cycle lanes covered in moss (not good in these wet conditions), the list goes on.

I don't think people do it to get up drivers noses, the plain and simple truth is that the cycle lanes are just not well maintained and often times are hazardous places to be. The road, on the other hand is generally clear of debris, pedestrians and parked cars.

I cycle the same route every day, and I have identified my cycle lane "hot spots" where I refuse to use them for safety reasons. I will avoid getting into a bother about my theories on cycle lanes for now.

The most laughable part about cycle lanes is the Red Gravel crap that they pave them with.
    They never brush away loose paving, leaving plenty to skid on. Used to hate that, when on the motor bike and would come across a patch of it in the road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Raam wrote: »
    Well there we have it, the N11 cycletrack is perfect. Everyone must use this track from now on.

I avoid the N11 specifically because of those cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Parts of the N11 cycle track are fine, others are poor but some cyclists won't use it even where it's good.

I know the next excuse is that "Oh I'm too fast for the cycle lane", but I passed two lads this morning who weren't using a perfectly good cycle lane. I don't have any time for those who insist on getting in the way of traffic, when there's a perfectly good alternative. Your pigheadedness doesn't do us any favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's about usable between Loughlinstown and Cabinteely. Goes to **** everywhere else I find. Fortunately you can turn off onto Clonkeen road at that point, although you still have to use some of the red paved section, hop off because someone is walking on it, then have to wait a good while before being able to get back on again. The black paved sections are okay (I use these), good surface, although there's nowhere for pedestrians to walk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

The worst bit is from the Park hotel down to UCD for me, that bus stop after the Esso garage is an accident waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Parts of the N11 cycle track are fine, others are poor but some cyclists won't use it even where it's good.

I know the next excuse is that "Oh I'm too fast for the cycle lane", but I passed two lads this morning who weren't using a perfectly good cycle lane. I don't have any time for those who insist on getting in the way of traffic, when there's a perfectly good alternative. Your pigheadedness doesn't do us any favours

cyclists are traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Keeping an average speed of about 35kph will get you all the way from Donnybrook to Shankill roundabout without having to stop for lights once. So anyone that overtakes you on the N11 is in a hurry to get back to not moving, effectively. Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    The worst bit is from the Park hotel down to UCD for me, that bus stop after the Esso garage is an accident waiting to happen

I cycled past it the other day (I normally hop onto the open road there, sorry for my "obvious pigheadedness" rosco :)) and there were these kids with giving their mum grief and a girl walking down the cycle lane. I pretty much stopped the bike until the mum got the kids in under the actual shelter, but the young girl on her phone just continued walking casually in the cycle lane.

People go on about cyclists not having respect for the bus lane and the sanctity of the driver's domain, yet they fail to offer the same respect to cyclists. Thus we get the pedestrians, parked vehicles, etc. Why can't we all just get along???

Oh, and would people stop saying "perfectly good cycle lane". Firstly, it is hard to judge when staring out the car window, more importantly though is that a rugged mountain bike and a light road bike will have a different definition on what "perfect" surfaces are. Some cycle lanes actually seem more like off road courses, and im sorry but I just cant do that on 25mm tyres without ending up on my face. I'll take the road please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

To address the original post:

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, then beat you due to greater experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Trojan wrote: »
    To address the original post:

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, then beat you due to greater experience.

Haha jesus thats a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Verb wrote: »
    cyclists are traffic

Hit the nail on the head there...

Why is it that motorists automatically assume priority over cyclists in any road traffic scenario? AFAIK, this attitude is not enshrined in any law, nor can it be inferred from the Rules of the Road.

This does not stop motorists honking horns or driving aggressively around cyclists that they perceive are impeding their progress - only to screech to a halt at the next set of lights.

On a routine cycle to Kimmage yesterday, I was honked because I didn't slow down to let a car veer into the left lane at the canal bridge. The woman driving the car assumed that she had automatic priority over me and nearly knocked me off my bike as she glided towards the kerb. This is just the most recent example I've had this week, but it happens daily.

The only motorists that know how to share the streets with cyclists are those that cycle themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

milod wrote: »
    The only motorists that know how to share the streets with cyclists are those that cycle themselves.
    Amen to that.

Advertisement