Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review of a Grads in the Rochestown Park Hotel, Cork

Options
  • 15-09-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Recently had my boyfriends’ grads there. I realise this sort of event isn’t much to go by, but if the general service is anything like the service we received then I’d steer clear of the place completely. I realise they're catering for 18-20 year old messers at Debs and Grads every night of the week, but seriously. For the money we all paid we'd expect some sort of hospitable service.

Initially, when we arrived we were told to pay 20 euro for a photograph (in spite of the fact that the grads itself had cost 150 euro to actually attend). The we were seated at our tables and we realised that there were three menus between the eight of us. So we all shared them to have a look. It turned out we didn’t even need menus, because what we would be having was soup, turkey and ham with stuffing, potato and veg as well as a cheesecake for dessert, with optional tea. There was no vegetarian alternative, and in spite of all the expense, some people found themselves unable to eat the starter (chicken and vegetable soup) or the main course.

So at about 8.45 they started serving us. They were literally flying around to the 24 or so tables, chucking the plates at us. I know they were in a rush to get things served but the manner in which they did this was nothing short of rudeness. At one point, I was sitting with my elbow touching the girl beside me’s elbow because we were talking quitely to one another, and a cup of tea was actually shoved in between our arms.

The soup was cold when it initially arrived, the ham was more like bacon because it had been overdone, you couldn’t physically stick your fork into either the stuffing or the roast potato because they were cooked so badly. There was cheese on the cauliflower which seeped onto the other veg and although I liked it, I found a lot of people couldn’t eat their veg because of it. The dessert was lovely, but loads of people didn’t like cheesecake and there was no alternative. The tea or coffee was given to us in the cup, with no option for a second one; I don’t know if this is the norm or not but I certainly wasn’t happy with it.

The way they stalked the tables during the meal would make you think that they’d be ready to help if you needed something, but when I asked for a glass of wine during the main course I was promply told “get it yourself”. Fair enough if she couldn’t get it, but she could’ve said “We’re not able to get that for you” or something. My boyfriend said that at one point, he had his fork in his hand when he was almost finished his dinner and the waitress literally had her hand on his plate, waiting for him to take the last bite so she could grab it.

They came over and put out all the candles before we were finished at all, so we lit ours again because it gave a nice ambience to the table. The waitress came over and put it out again, saying “That has to be out”. When I told her that we were still eating, and asked her why she just said “We have to take them in.” They were like zombies or something, seriously. It doesn’t take much to be courteous. The meal ended at 9.30. It had taken 45 minutes.

After the dinner there was a terrible band and an awful DJ, so most people stayed out in the foyer and the smoking area because it was too noisy to talk inside, just going in to get drinks. One wasn’t allowed bring a drink outside when one wanted to smoke, and there was a barrier about 8sqft around the door so that we were kept from “escaping”. A few people had friends come up to see their dresses/boyfriends etc, these people were all promptly told to leave; including three or four past pupils of the school in question who hadn’t been allowed back for the grads.

At one point, my boyfriend was standing inside the door with a drink, and I was standing outside the door with a cigarette, and the nasty security one told me to get away from the door because there was smoke blowing in. I had made a point of keeping my cigarette away from the door, so she was being an idiot and I told her this. She kept away from me for the rest of the night, but I could see that she’d harass others for no reason whenever she became bored.

The bar was appalling. They didn’t have commonly purchased drinks such as Baileys, there was a sign on the bar saying “One drink per person per purchase, and one drink per person per half hour.” which was understandably so that people didn’t get drunk, but it meant that rounds couldn’t be bought and considering you’re coming there with your significant other, it’s incredibly short-sighted that one is not permitted to buy drink for the other.

We were all told to feck off at 1am, there were buses organised to take us to Leisureplex in town. We also had to pay 10 euro to get in there. So was the 150 euro for a pretty horrible meal, a terrible (amateur) band, a DJ whose dance music only catered for the braindead and a bus to herd us the hell out of the place? Seemingly it was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

:eek: OMG €150 to be treated like a sheep.

I would complain to the Hotel. Most of the banquet staff are only hired in for the night, but it still gives the hotel a bad name.

In a time long long ago when I worked in hotels it used to work out at 1/2 hour per person for dinner.
    i.e Table for two will sit for atleast an hour
    Table of 8 (work do/family gathering/grads etc) 4 hours so don't book that table again for the night as people talk/drink more in a large company.

Good luck with the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That sounds pretty awful but you need to make a distinction here between the mistakes made by the hotel and the mistakes made by the organisers of the grads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rohypnol

I rang there and they were quite good about the complaint. They said that they'd do something about it, but I'm not really sure what they could do. It's my Debs on Tuesday so I'll see what they're like then and if they're unpleasant to the same degree then I'll go on a radio show or something.

It could've just been badly organised or something, our one definitely isn't badly organised because I know the girls who did it and they're amazingly good at that sort of thing. So I guess tomorrow night I'll see if it's really as bad as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hi OP.unfortunately it sounds identical to both my Debs!the food seemingly is always rank,although the 1 drink per person thing is crazy.just cos a few stupid 17 year olds get hammered and rowdy doesn't mean you should be treated like a juvenille delinquent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Ha, thats why I didnt go to mine.

Go out with your real friends for a nice meal in a top restaurant and spend the money you save on having fun your first year in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

dudara wrote: »
    That sounds pretty awful but you need to make a distinction here between the mistakes made by the hotel and the mistakes made by the organisers of the grads.

Agree with Dudara. Pretty much everything you are complaining about is down to the organisers (probably your boyfriends classmates). The costs, Photographs, band & DJ have nothing to do with the hotel (well, except for the cost of the hotel). Another thing to check is what did the organisers get? I remember for my grads, the 4 guys who organised it went for free (which is fair enough), but I went to some college balls where the guys who organise it not only went for free, but included a room each for themselves, plus a few of their mates getting in for free as well!

The only complaint against the hotel is the rudeness of the staff. But, most likely many of them are temp for that night and don't care. Having been to several debs/grads as well as a host of college balls (mainly located in the old Jury's or Rochestown park), your experience sounds pretty similar.

Over the next few years, you're going to experience a load of grads/debs/balls (if your going down the college route). You'll soon learn not to expect much from the meal/band etc and just relax and remember the night is all about getting drunk with your mates!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

That sounds terrible! I'd put something in writing if I were you. If it is the organizers then the hotel should know because it's making them look bad. They might have a firmer hand in future regarding what happens at their debs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Sounds awful but i'd say most people would say their debs were poor. For mine so many years ago we were at the ambassador hotel in kill it was the same awful meal just thrown at you. I had arrived just before the meal was served and hadn't gotten any drink, a waitress let a roast potato fall on my silk dress and even though it was still sitting on my lap when she grabbed it (before putting it on my plate) she said it hadn't gotten me at all. There was a massive grease stain on my dress and when i said eh yeah you did look at the stain she just shouted this girl is drunk and abusive i refuse to serve her-into the air???? I guess they just get a few bad experiences with debs and expect everyone to be out of their heads and aggressive. I complained to the manager who asked me to be tested to prove i wasn't drunk!!! Hello waitress drops a potato on silk dress and lies to me about it, what does drink have to do with it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've done table service and bar service at these functions for years and not suprised at your post at all OP.

The grads never get top service, sure they aren't taken seriously at all. Pile up the food and fling it out :pac:. Who cares, you're not at the top table of wedding now are you?

If you went back tomorrow OP for a wedding or maybe a function for the county council, I'd gurantee service would improve 100%!

So you should complain. But I doubt they'll take it seriously. In fact, many hotels don't want grads due to general "messiness". You know, fights, drinking, messing in corridors. Certainly many hotels ban grad students getting rooms due to parties.

I think you should complain but I doubt the hotel will care.
    It's too late know but it pays to watch the student organizers like hawks. It wouldn't suprise my if a few hundred went missing, it often happens.

dotsman wrote: »
    Another thing to check is what did the organisers get? I remember for my grads, the 4 guys who organised it went for free (which is fair enough), but I went to some college balls where the guys who organise it not only went for free, but included a room each for themselves, plus a few of their mates getting in for free as well!
    They'd be the sort of lads who'd do that alright. :l
    The only complaint against the hotel is the rudeness of the staff. But, most likely many of them are temp for that night and don't care. Having been to several debs/grads as well as a host of college balls (mainly located in the old Jury's or Rochestown park), your experience sounds pretty similar.
    That's pretty much all I felt entitled to complain about on the phone. My mammy made the point that if they didn't have a vegetarian alternative it was because of the lads who organised it not mentioning that they wanted it.
    Over the next few years, you're going to experience a load of grads/debs/balls (if your going down the college route). You'll soon learn not to expect much from the meal/band etc and just relax and remember the night is all about getting drunk with your mates!
    We had a savage time, really! It would sound like we didn't from the complaining but really I'm just sharing an experience about a pseudo-classy hotel where the service is less than impeccable. We actually had a mad laugh, and there are loads of lovely memories from it!

Ha, thats why I didnt go to mine.

Go out with your real friends for a nice meal in a top restaurant and spend the money you save on having fun your first year in college.
    My boyfriend said we should do that. Plus I'm stoney broke at the moment and it's my birthday tomorrow (and also my Debs). We're going to Amsterdam on Thursday and I'm going to be completely out of pocket. :'(
    LolaDub wrote: »
    I guess they just get a few bad experiences with debs and expect everyone to be out of their heads and aggressive.
    My favourite quote of the night was some member of staff in Leisureplex coming up to us and saying "Will you go away now?" at 4am. We just laughed in his face, and he got all ratty going "I put up with your sort ALL the time, I'm NOT going to let you get me down tonight!" and storming off. Haha, talk about unnecessary frustration, we left right after we'd stopped skitting at him like. :P
    micmclo wrote: »
    Certainly many hotels ban grad students getting rooms due to parties.
    I was booking a hotel for tomorrow night today and I rang some 2 star place up from Patricks Street, they were all enthusiastic and stuff. I'd completed the entire booking process and then they asked when I'd be arriving, and I said I'd check in at about 2pm and be arriving at about 5am then. They asked why so late and I mentioned that it was a debs. She literally went "We don't do those. Bye." and hung up! Haha. People are fecking retarded. We stayed in the Ambassador and we were perfectly well behaved customers like. Stupid stereotypes drive me crazy.
    micmclo wrote: »
    I think you should complain but I doubt the hotel will care.
    It's too late know but it pays to watch the student organizers like hawks. It wouldn't suprise my if a few hundred went missing, it often happens.
    Yeah, I'd definitely trust the girls who organised tomorrow night's ones to do a good job. They've been amazing all year at sorting stuff out, I doubt this will be any different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Had my debs there too, was dreadful! A friend wanted to buy a (just) fanta and a coke and vodka for herself and a friend who doesn't drink and she had to send the friend up to buy the fanta herself. Madness!

In fairness to Rochestown, went to a college ball there, cost 45 euro (compared to the 55 of the debs 3 years previous), had a bottle of wine between 4, three main course options (ham, chicken or veggie), extra bread served. I'd blame the debs organisers.

taram wrote: »
    In fairness to Rochestown, went to a college ball there, cost 45 euro (compared to the 55 of the debs 3 years previous), had a bottle of wine between 4, three main course options (ham, chicken or veggie), extra bread served. I'd blame the debs organisers.
    WOW. We paid 150 quid for the Debs tickets..

Had my Debs last night, it was brilliant. Much better; nicer staff - the bitchy security one was still there but she didn't cause much trouble, she was just generally being a twat. It was the same menu but I said I was vegetarian (lies!) and got YUMMY salmon instead! The waiters were all very well-mannered, and a few of them knew how to have a laugh as well like.

I meant to ring the guy again today but I forgot.. now it's too late and I'm off to Amsterdam at 6am. It can wait until next Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Vegetarian Salmon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Igy wrote: »
    Vegetarian Salmon? :)

You'd be amazed at the number of places that take vegetarian to mean no meat, and start offering you fish instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

The Debs in Rochestown on Tues night was great, no complaints. I am a vegetarian and I asked the waitress for a veggie option and got a lovely vegetable pie. All in all a great night!!

MOH wrote: »
    You'd be amazed at the number of places that take vegetarian to mean no meat, and start offering you fish instead.
    It's for vegetarians with loose morals. Shur we eat fish on good Friday every year! :P

Advertisement