Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After effects of radiotherapy

Options
  • 15-09-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Over a year and a half ago my Mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She had to undergo surgery and then a few months of chemo. It's such a distressing sight seeing someone turn from being so vibrant and healthy to becoming dependent on other people to help with the most basic tasks. It was really tough on our family (we're a small one, my parents, my sister and me) but somehow we managed to get through it. It's not really something I like to think of now. When she was finished the chemo I wasn't prepared for the sheer tiredness and weakness which overcame her for the next month and a half. It was truly unbelievable, the accumulative effects of all the medication. But then things started looking up, she regained some strength, was able to leave the house, hair started coming back :) and things started looking up.

However she then found a lump and was diagnosed with breast cancer. We were all gutted but (not being overly familiar with all the medical stuff!) some hope was offered by the doctors since they were confident they could get it all etc etc. So same again, surgery followed by a few months of chemo but this time she had to undergo radiotherapy after. Now she has to get a session of it every day but it'll be over in 2 weeks.

We're were prepared for the after chemo effects the second time, what I'm wondering is is there a similar "after effect" upon completion of radiotherapy? I mean I wouldn't have thought so initially but the sessions really seem to be taking it out of her. Is there any other stuff we should be prepared for?

Gah, I didn't mean to write this much for such what I thought was a straight forward question! Any replies would be appreciated.

Advertisement