Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Etihad in talks with BMI

• 15-09-2008 3:41pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭

From the times online:

AN airline backed by the royal family of Abu Dhabi, the Gulf state that recently bought Manchester City football club, has held initial discussions about a merger with BMI British Midland in a deal that could value the airline at up to £600m.

Senior sources in the Gulf say Etihad, the national carrier of the United Arab Emirates, has approached both BMI and Lufthansa, the German airline that holds a stake in BMI.

Lufthansa has an option to take complete control of BMI later this year or early next. However, it is understood it wants to sell its stake for around £200m and that talks with Etihad were held in the summer.

With many airlines reeling from high oil prices and the credit crunch, Etihad executives believe now is the best time to snap up bargains in the industry.
    Related Links

Etihad's emergence as a potential player will increase the swirl of speculation about the future of BMI, which holds a vital position at Heathrow. Acquiring a major stake in BMI, which owns 11% of the take-off and landing slots, would give Etihad the second strongest position at BA’s home airport and potentially spark a new round of takeovers.

BMI's future remains in the hands of Sir Michael Bishop, the group's chairman, who controls a majority stake. Under a shareholders’ agreement struck in the 1990s, Lufthansa has an option to buy out Bishop at an agreed price. While commentators have speculated that Lufthansa will be able to exercise the option from the end of the year, the full terms of the agreement have never been made public.

Etihad chief executive James Hogan is familiar with BMI’s operations. Between 1999 and 2002 he was the airline's chief operating officer and a member of the BMI board alongside Bishop.

BMI’s position at Heathrow is its greatest asset. However, some analysts believe Lufthansa may be considering its position given the current crisis in the airline industry. Taking control of BMI would leave it with a large operation at the London hub.

Etihad is keen to expand its operations and could either take part of the BMI slot holding or buy Lufthansa’s option with a view to developing at Heathrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Etihad are also talking to Malaysia airlines on a code share deal. Considering they have just ordered 300 aircraft I dont know why they need any more capacity!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The codeshare agreement with malasian has been signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess this brings Etihad into the Star Alliance as well.

hopefully they will keep the current branding, it will be a shame if they change to Etihad (Purely for nostalgic reasons I say this) but i suppose on the Domestic routes there is no need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

hopefully they will keep the current branding, it will be a shame if they change to Etihad (Purely for nostalgic reasons I say this) but i suppose on the Domestic routes there is no need to change.

+1

I could see them keeping the current branding as you say particularly on the domestic routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

More likely to drop them out of STAR, although would be great if they joined so at least I could keep my *A gold card while paying alot less to get to the Far East :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mythago wrote: »
    More likely to drop them out of STAR, although would be great if they joined so at least I could keep my *A gold card while paying alot less to get to the Far East :)

Show off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Please don't result in BMI reducing frequency on DUB-LHR.

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Please don't result in BMI reducing frequency on DUB-LHR.

Please.

+1 I really really hope that does not happen or even worse pulling the route.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

If this deal went though DUB would loose flights to LHR as Etihad are probably after the landing slots in Heathrow.

Advertisement