Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Guthrie should be banned for three months

• 15-09-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading there that his foul on Craig Fagan in the Newcastle v Hull game left Fagan with a broken leg that rules him out for three months. Now this was no 50-50 challenge or unfortunate tackle. Guthrie deliberately kicked Fagan with, one can only assume, the intention of hurting him and his attack has left Fagan with a broken leg. A three match ban for the red card he recieved isn't enough of a punishment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Horrible looking foul. Just booted him really.

Also, although it's not really relevant, the fact that it was a big club and a smaller club (who were beating them) and the fact DG saluted the fans on the way off, annoyed me even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Just reading there that his foul on Craig Fagan in the Newcastle v Hull game left Fagan with a broken leg that rules him out for three months. Now this was no 50-50 challenge or unfortunate tackle. Guthrie deliberately kicked Fagan with, one can only assume, the intention of hurting him and his attack has left Fagan with a broken leg. A three match ban for the red card he recieved isn't enough of a punishment.

Broken leg?? Didn't he play on after the foul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Dreadful tackle or Assault may be a better word IMO

Saw him clapping the fans on the way off - p**sed me off something shocking...

3 Months may not be enough - He deliberatly set out to hurt Fagan, no two ways about it - frustration or whatever is happening at Newcastle is no excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

JimiTime wrote: »
    Broken leg?? Didn't he play on after the foul?

I think so, but Hull had already used up their 3 subs and the game was in injury time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Any link to the foul? I haven't seen the game or any highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A fractured leg says the news.

Would defo give him a 6-10 game ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I would agree however, the FA wont budge on these players that act violently towards others.

I think so, but Hull had already used up their 3 subs and the game was in injury time.

Awful foul. Certainly more of an assault. Hope they come down hard on Guthrie! Probably hangin with Joey Barton too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jank wrote: »
    I would agree however, the FA wont budge on these players that act violently towards others.

indeed, it's seriously time the FA took the initiative on these types of fouls.

indeed, it's seriously time the FA took the initiative on these types of fouls.

do players for violent conduct and suspend them accordingly. If their violent conduct results in the injury of the person asaulted, suspend them for the amount of time the opposing player is injured IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Karma for Fagan if you ask me.

Obviously Guthries foul was shocking, but Fagan is a dirty player too, seem to remember him viciously stamping on Arbeloa at Anfield last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Guthrie should be banned for twice the length of Fagan's injuy without pay, but if he's unlucky he might get a an extra game ban added onto the three game one for a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Mr Alan wrote: »

Obviously Guthries foul was shocking, but Fagan is a dirty player too, seem to remember him viciously stamping on Arbeloa at Anfield last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVK3mszm7I

cant view the link in work mate, wat is it?

Fagan's stamp on Arbeloa

Guthrie should be banned for twice the length of Fagan's injuy without pay, but if he's unlucky he might get a an extra game ban added onto the three game one for a straight red.

i like the idea of not paying them. i would really like to see the FA give the power to clubs to suspend payment to players who are serving a ban, think it might force one or two to change their attitudes a little.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

surprised his leg was broken, he jumped up to run after Guthrie just after the foul, he didn't look to be limping either.

As noted Fagan is no saint, but is one thing to tackle hard another to just kick someone as hard as you can halfway up their leg. 6 match ban or so for Guthrie hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newcastle fan, I won't defend what Guthrie did, it was inexcusable.Whatever ban the FA throw at him, he will deserve. But I hope they keep it in proportion to other such incidents. Roy Kean anyone?

However, no one should be getting the violins out for Fagan too soon, he has a history of this sort of behavior himself, and only a few mins earlier had tried to stamp on Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No idea Fagan's leg was broken. He got straight back up after falling and rolling to have a go at Guthrie didnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I only saw the highlights on MOTD, but a friend was saying that Fagan was nicking at Guthrie for ages before hand.

No excuse for Danny, and he made two attempts at it too, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

tribulus wrote: »
    Any link to the foul? I haven't seen the game or any highlights.

not great quality (someones tv set). skip to about 40 seconds in for replay. Looks like he had 2 goes at trying to do him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jaykay74 wrote: »
    not great quality (someones tv set). skip to about 40 seconds in for replay. Looks like he had 2 goes at trying to do him.

christ thats really bad in fairness, hadn't seen that replay before where he lashes out at him a few seconds before. I like Guthrie, but this is really bad, could see it getting brought up for special circumstances and made a 5 game ban instead (or more).

But I hope they keep it in proportion to other such incidents. Roy Kean anyone?

Since its Newcastle maybe its more appropriate to namecheck the case of Shearers boot V Lennons head ;)

If that was karma for Fagan then I'd say there is something nasty waiting down the road for Guthrie when karma catches up with him. He had obviously lost the head. It wasn't a mistimed tackle which looked bad or anything like that. It'll be interesting to see how its dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Jesus I'd totally forgotten the Shearer incident, how long did he get banned for as a result? If it's as bad a it looks in that clip it should have been a very long time, though I can't imagine the F.A. would have come down too heavily on one of their favourite sons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

carlop wrote: »
    Jesus I'd totally forgotten the Shearer incident, how long did he get banned for as a result? If it's as bad a it looks in that clip it should have been a very long time, though I can't imagine the F.A. would have come down too heavily on one of their favourite sons.

I dont think he did at all iirc . It was just before the WC so it was glossed over.

not guilty, just before WC. :pac::pac:

"Your honour I clearly didn't kick lennon in the head" ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/91721.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Being England captain makes you immune to everything look at terry he got away with headbutting diabys foot that time.

guthrie thing was scummy especially as he'd 2 goes at fagan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ha! Shearer? that prick has never been pulled up for any of his dirty play, God that clip reminds how much i hate Alan Shearer....

The Guthrie challenge was very bad, but it happens, players will lose the head every now and then and Fagan does appear to be quite a dirty player so i dont feel too bad for him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Being England captain makes you immune to everything look at terry he got away with headbutting diabys foot that time.

guthrie thing was scummy especially as he'd 2 goes at fagan.

nothing wrong with the first challenge imho, no defense for the 2nd...

That pretty true. I remember Bryan Robson getting away with murder in the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

kryogen wrote: »
    ha! Shearer? that prick has never been pulled up for any of his dirty play, God that clip reminds how much i hate Alan Shearer....

Yeah thats what I was thinking, it's sick how certain players get away with so much, i think I saw him mentioned in the 'players we all love and respect' thread. Just imagine if it had been the other way round and Lennon kicked Shearer? He'd probably still be banned, or get given a special punishment which means he can only play for Linfield or Rangers:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Bad foul for sure but the actual injury sustained (or the amount of time the victim's out for) shouldn't be used to measure the punishment - otherwise you'd get longer for a tackle on a brittle-boned player than for the same tackle on a stronger-boned player.

Or a longer ban for a "regular" bad tackle than for a foul that intended, say, to break someone's leg but actually missed them completely.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nothing wrong with the first challenge imho, no defense for the 2nd...

looked like he deliberately raked all his studs down the back of fagans leg for the first one. not a red, but a yellow at least on its own imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Bad foul for sure but the actual injury sustained (or the amount of time the victim's out for) shouldn't be used to measure the punishment - otherwise you'd get longer for a tackle on a brittle-boned player than for the same tackle on a stronger-boned player.

Or a longer ban for a "regular" bad tackle than for a foul that intended, say, to break someone's leg but actually missed them completely.
    If you tackle a player, going for the ball, and injure them then I would agree with you - these things happen in football so they shouldn't be delt with specially as a result of injury.

However, Guthrie wasn't going for the ball, he went in with no intent other than to injure the player, so the ban he receives should reflect that fact, and the injury that resulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Still there is no excuse, Guthrie says it was out of character and he only did it because he was frustrated. Does anyone elese think thats the worse excuse ever? So whats going to happen in a few games time when Newcastle are getting trased, Guthrie will put another player off the pitch for 3 months ye?

And because it was on Fagan makes absolutley no difference here, Guthrie should get a proper ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Shocking challenge and he deserves what he gets for it. He's not a bad player, has his whole career in front of him and hopefully he'll learn a thing or two from this and show more restraint in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Tauren wrote: »
    Guthrie wasn't going for the ball, he went in with no intent other than to injure the player, so the ban he receives should reflect that fact, and the injury that resulted.
    His ban (and all others like it) should reflect the fact that he went in to injure a player but it's not about the length of time the victim is or isn't out for. There are way too many variables and personal judgments - what if a player's playing half-injured already?

That's like saying that a handball on the line that stops an equaliser that would win the title or avoid relegation should be punished more than one that stops a consolation goal. But you can't do those kind of things - it'd be unworkable and unfair.

can anyone explain to me how Fagan lept up off the ground and played on with a broken leg? I'm a little confused by that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    His ban (and all others like it) should reflect the fact that he went in to injure a player but it's not about the length of time the victim is or isn't out for. There are way too many variables and personal judgments - what if a player's playing half-injured already?

That's like saying that a handball on the line that stops an equaliser that would win the title or avoid relegation should be punished more than one that stops a consolation goal. But you can't do those kind of things - it'd be unworkable and unfair.

why is it unfair? Guthrie tried to injure a player and suceeded in doing so, putting him out for 3 months. Why should his ban not reflect the intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

can anyone explain to me how Fagan lept up off the ground and played on with a broken leg? I'm a little confused by that!

I thought the same thing, he got up and went for Guthrie even, but supposedly its only a fracture, probably just in the moment it didn't hurt as much. Boggles my mind to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Initially the pain isnt as bad as when the area swells. Also the adrealine from playing a Premier League game would mask the pain from a break.

I broke my ankle at a birthday party when i was 10 and managed to play 2 full rounds of Q-Zar on it and then walk home.

its not just the getting up from the injury, its playing on after it seemingly grand as well.

strange.

its not just the getting up from the injury, its playing on after it seemingly grand as well.

strange.

I think it happened in injury time, so he probably didn't really play on.

strange.

breaks are funny. I know plenty of people who've broken stuff in matches without realising it and managed to play on. I remember one guy as a kid must have gone about three weeks without having his break diagnosed; playing right through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Danny should get a 6 month ban imo, i thought been brought up at liverpool he would have known better than that, and not only did he have one go at him, he had two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

breaks are funny.

Eh? :confused::p

Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can see this tackle? (the video on the last page doesn't work)

breaks are funny. I know plenty of people who've broken stuff in matches without realising it and managed to play on. I remember one guy as a kid must have gone about three weeks without having his break diagnosed; playing right through.

didn't Bert Trautman have a broken neck and played a full game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

didn't Bert Trautman have a broken neck and played a full game?

i was at a match where a player broke his leg in 2 places 40 mins in and didnt realise until he tried to drive home after playing the 90! adrenaline and shock can do strange things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement