Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crane Stock

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

What are the advantages of Crane Stocks bar for battery storage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

okay prepare for a real us versus them discussion. you either love or hate crane stocks...me i love them...

here is an honest view of the advantages and disadvantages

advantages

1. you dont need a peq box (a fake laser and light unit used by the US) to house a battery
    2. its actually quite good to rest your cheek on
    3. did i mention you dont have to use a peq box
    4. and finally no peq box

disadvantages
    1. you need a crane battery which is mostly a dual but sometimes a triple legged battery to slip into the channels of a crane stock
    2. your aeg will need to be rear wired or you need to make it rear wired
    3. you cant fully retract the crane stock

to access it usually you, take off the rubber back and either unclip or unscrew the back. your plug will be visible in the tube (called the stock tube). now if you look at the back of the crane stock you will have 2 tubes left and right. thats where you put the crane style battery (sometimes called nunchuck, no idea why). plug it in and you are good to go. I would recommend you get the right fit on the stock before you put the battery in. if you have a triple legged battery, the middle 2 batteries go in the stock tube.

now be careful. i always use the US armys greatest tool...duct tape. in the heat of airsofting, the rubber back can come off and you will loose it. so duct tape that puppy on there....

by the way, just in case i didnt mention it, you can now get rid of a peq box for your battery....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

im getting eirsoft to rewire my hk416 back to a crane stock, i hate the ****ing peq box on mine, doesnt cost that much either

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Love the crane stock. Don't understand why you can't fully retract yours Fallschirmjager, I use a 9.6v on mine and I have no problem retract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

Sam Fisher wrote: »
    Love the crane stock. Don't understand why you can't fully retract yours Fallschirmjager, I use a 9.6v on mine and I have no problem retract it.

its probably a three piece 9.6v firefox that will not let you retract it all the way,

i picked up one of these which is just as powerful, and fits - just about into a dboys crane stock
    http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html
    500_8vp2200sc-ll-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

johnboyire wrote: »
    its probably a three piece 9.6v firefox that will not let you retract it all the way,

i picked up one of these which is just as powerful, and fits - just about into a dboys crane stock
    http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html
    500_8vp2200sc-ll-01.jpg

Nope, mine's a three piece G&P 9.6v, still no problem. I haven't seen any other crane stock except the one on my M4, the bit that goes into the battery stock is "U" shaped and it slides right to the end of the end of the butt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

See... If I was to get one it wouldn't be for a battery.. I'm just looking to mod my M15A4 a bit more.. am gonna use it as a I guess auto sniper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

Nope, mine's a three piece G&P 9.6v, still no problem. I haven't seen any other crane stock except the one on my M4, the bit that goes into the battery stock is "U" shaped and it slides right to the end of the end of the butt.

ah i think the g&p are different the dboys is really only designed for a two piece battery but you can wedge the three piece batteries in

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

im getting eirsoft to rewire my hk416 back to a crane stock, i hate the ****ing peq box on mine, doesnt cost that much either
    Sorry if i'm breaking into yr thread lads -
    Spicy: Is that the JG 416 in Tonys, or the src one.
    I wanted one of these but the peq thing put me off, hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

tonky wrote: »
    Sorry if i'm breaking into yr thread lads -
    Spicy: Is that the JG 416 in Tonys, or the src one.
    I wanted one of these but the peq thing put me off, hmmm

you can get the job done for about 55 with the price of the crane stock included, just ask tony. hk416 is a great gun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

to be honest it kinda moody. my fuse is in the stock tube, so sometimes if i retract the stock, it seems as if the wires and fuse jumble up and i dont like to force it on the off chance a cable pops....so i normally put the battery in set it and leave it alone. as it happens i like it on a reasonably long setting anways so it rarely a problem. i know some people hate them for this reason...personally i love them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

now be careful. i always use the US armys greatest tool...duct tape. in the heat of airsofting, the rubber back can come off and you will loose it. so duct tape that puppy on there....

Couldnt agree more.

Sure Doom.. on sunday I was running after Dar and Fayer and when I stopped I realised the back had come off the crane. Luckily I found the two parts but Ill be reinforcing them with a tie wrap or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

i have to ask wtf is the peq box for

my battery fits into my foregrip and that seems to make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

Why is the battery issue coming up with a crane stock?

The true advantage of a crane stock is that you can modify the stock position to one that suits you best.
    For example, if you're about to enter a narrow area, you might slide it all the way in to make the gun overall shorter - and then revert back to your preferred position afterwards.

Both a crane stock and a solid stock can house batteries.

And if you're going for the Semi-Sniper look (e.g. SR-25) then a solid stock would be more realistic than your standard crane stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

i have to ask wtf is the peq box for

my battery fits into my foregrip and that seems to make sense

You can't get a battery (un modded) into a RIS hand guard though, only option is to put in the PEQ in the case of a HK416 or re wire it into a solid or crane stock.

I'm on the look out for a crane stock atm, just trying to find out which is best. I know the VFC one won't fully retract with a battery. I saw a HK417 crane stock on a site but I think the quality wasn't the best. The search goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

From past experience; some tips on crane stocks.

Don't just look at the crane stock, also look at what batteries fit it. Some crane stocks don't take certain batteries (sticks may be too long).
    Third stick might not allow you to retract your stock fully, in which case you're better off with a solid-stock.

On the battery front, you may end up having to switch connector-types, if it is set up for t-connectors (though you can rewire this) - make sure you have a T-adaptor for your charger. Be aware of where the connectors are on the batteries as well. I bought two batteries that were apparently designed for the Classic Army crane stock, but the wiring was all screwed up, leaving me having to rewire them myself.

All in all, I found putting the crane stock on my old AEG a pain in the arse!

The Systema PTW's crane stock is a beauty though - works perfectly (just like everything else with it :)).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Crane stocks are really handy, the only problem is they are ugly as sin, i wanted rid of the PEQ from my VFC 416 but i couldnt bring myself to fitting an ugly crane stock so i got a mag ready system and installed the battery in a dumy magazine on te side of the gun,

the stock should be fully adjustable but the problem usually is people have installed the battery wrongly or havent left enough/too much wire if they've rewired it themselves.,

the wiring in the stock tube stould be coiled in so that the batery compresses it to the end of the stock tube without squashing it,once its fitted like that then it should adjust perfectly easy, ive seen a few cases where people have done that.,

Advertisement