Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network are nearly impossible to leave!

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just wondering if anyone has had any bother in trying to leave their 3 pay monthly contract?? I had a very hard time trying to cancel my contract. It took me three phonecalls to 3 (and two to o2) just to cancel! I understand that it is the job of the customer care person to try and keep you from leaving them but the way they handled the situation was ridiculous. I'd be close to saying that it was harrassment.

The first guy I got through to took the "keep talking and don't let the customer get a word in" approach. He rambled on and on for about 10 minutes with offers and deals to try and keep me, even though I said I wasn't interested. I thought that this guy was being pushy so tried my luck by just ringing back again hoping I'd get someone else. I told him I'd ring back.

The 2nd guy was even worse. Not only did he go on about all these offers etc, he started to get irate at me when I replied "I'd just like to cancel please" everytime he tried to come up with a better offer. I must have said "I'd just like to cancel please" about 6 times, when he suggested I keep the contract as a back up phone! After another "I'd like to cancel", he very bluntly said that if I didn't use my PAC code with my new provider (o2) then my contract would not be cancelled and that my 3 contract would be renewed! Because I had this new contract with o2 for a few months I wasn't sure if I could change to my old number after that time, so I had to ring them to verify, because I did not want to have to take out another 18 month contract with 3!

Finally the 3rd girl I spoke to was still quite pushy but after several "I just would like to cancels" she eventually gave me my PAC code & that my contract would be cancelled once I had used it.

I thought that the pushy attitudes their customer care staff have are probably more damage to 3 than good. Has anyone else had such a hard time in leaving 3? Sorry for the long post!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they knew better then to try to stop me canceling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

makes you wonder what methods of torture / incentives they have in place or what dirt they have on them to get not 1 but 3 staff members as pushy as this :confused:

Edit: reminded me of cancelling my o2 contract about 4 or 5 years ago actually, and it was the exact opposite of the 3 experience you had, I had just lost my job at the time so was cutting back and told the lady on the phone this, she said sure no problem and sent me out a pre pay sim with €10 credit on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'd say report it to ComReg, but, you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

This reminds me these ladies from a racial minority that tend to beg and sell flowers in the streets in the South of Spain. Their sales technique is the same and I would say it is ingrained in their culture. First they smile at you and offer the flowers/hand reading/just beg, if that doesn't work they try to make you feel guilty or sorry for them. If that doesn't work they get aggressive and start speaking very loud. Finally, if you survive without giving in, they curse you and leave...
    I wonder where 3 learned these techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

If your running a mobile with Symbian I would look at buying 'Call Recorder' or similar, tell them you are recording the call. I had issues with '3' in August 07. I recorded all the calls I had with the call centre. It was lack of response to account issues that forced me to do this.

I then attached all the wav files to a word document and emailed them to the MD of '3' Ireland, guess what, everything resolved in less than 2 hours plus got a new Nokia E65.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And send the wav or mp3 files into Joe Duffy and Matt Cooper as well. All 3 staff are in India so you can record anything you like as the person is outside the jurisdiction.

If they are in the jurisdiction it is a gray area but record and be damned :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    All 3 staff are in India

And 2 + 2 = 4 :D this explains all, id love to hear one of these calls i bet they call you sir like a million times durring the call as they read thier nice little script from the screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

upload them to youtube and become a star on the h-interrnit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

This recording thing sounds like a good idea! I have an awful feeling that next month I'll find they'll still be taking money from me. If they do I'll be livid!
    3 had the cheek to leave an automated voicemail asking me to give my view on the call I had made to 3. I'm rather tempted to give them a ring and do just that! I remember now when I told the 2nd guy I would ring back he said "Fine. Your choice" and hung up. Nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm out of contract waiting for some new phones to come available - what can I get out of them for saying that I want to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And send the wav or mp3 files into Joe Duffy and Matt Cooper as well. All 3 staff are in India so you can record anything you like as the person is outside the jurisdiction.

If they are in the jurisdiction it is a gray area but record and be damned :D

I'm not too sure about that, your still dealing with a Irish registered company which is covered by Irish laws, as such if your dealing with one of there employees and regard the conversation without informing them your breaking the law.

The highly doubt 2FM or Today FM will put themselfs in a bad position by playing such a recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Don't all / most helplines play a 'this call may be recorded' message before you get through to anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Igy wrote: »
    Don't all / most helplines play a 'this call may be recorded' message before you get through to anyone?

Yes then they use it to whip the Customer Service agent and degrade them.
    Why didn't you sell this?, Why didn't you tell them that?
    Why didn't you get them into another 23year contract?

:mad: Been There, Done That :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

*snip pointless arguments*

Just got into an O2 store with your last 3 bill. They will port your number over and tell 3 to cancel the contract. Then 3 will issue you with a final bill.

This is exactly what I did and I got exactly zero hassle from Three through the whole process.

Advertisement