Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you an active person?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:10pm

Do you like to keep fit or busy?
    Or after a hard days toil do you prefer to take it easy.

How do you set about achieving your particular lifestyle goal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I try and do something I enjoy, a sport or something that is fun, it makes it way more appealing. That and seeing some results keeps me motivated,

gabgab wrote: »
    I try and do something I enjoy, a sport or something that is fun, it makes it way more appealing. That and seeing some results keeps me motivated,

What sport? I am mad to learn to rollerblade atm, despite my lack of balance and tarmacadam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I make sure to keep active. I go for a long, brisk walk every day, much of which is uphill. When the days become too short and the weather too crap (not long to go :() I'll hit the gym most evenings and do classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

15 minute walk to my car from work, so thats half an our everyday, plus a 30 minute uphill walk with the doggy. I do need something more aerobic, I have been looking at a great martial arts place nearby for the last year. Maybe someday I'll join...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Up until a year ago I was very active. I've done gymnastics for years and years now. I hurt my back in october last year, was crippled for ages so have been quite afraid to go back to it.

So instead i just do some basic work and conditioning, i work on my splits all the time and try to keep my flexibility. I also do conditioning, so sit ups, push ups etc... I am not a tank of a woman though....and when I say I do these, I mean when I get a sudden burst of energy. i really really need to do it more though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What sport? I am mad to learn to rollerblade atm, despite my lack of balance and tarmacadam.

I am looking at boxing again, anything that appeals to you is the important bit. I know loads of lads that would hate what I would like, go and learn rollerblading sure, be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 allabouteve58

I love doing yoga. Now am not good at it at all but finds it gets really destresses me after a long day at work! Love it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I recently got some skates (old school!) so am hoping to get out on the abit, but with winter and stuff, I prob wont. Plus, a friend who was coming with me cant find their blades, so the incentive to go on my own now (well, ill go with my son - but who will hold us both up??)

Other than that not at all.

I was really active in school, was in every team going, then after school I did some Kickboxing (but that was more to tone up), every few months or so I go through a "Im so fat stage" and kill myself at the gym for....two whole sessions (like clockwork)....then leave it. I do go for a few walks with baba after work, but with the dark ngihts now I dont know what will happen to them.

Im not overwieght, but Im not toned, and prob unhealthy.

I vow to do something before the end of this year. There is a pole dancing course near me starting soon, and I have been saying for ages that Im gonna sign up for that, heard it really tones you up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I run (about 5km) 3-4 times a week and go to the gym 1-2 times a week. Which is a lot more than the zero times a week I did any exercise 3 months ago. I try and squeeze in the odd taekwondo class when I get a chance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

When I was younger I did gymnastics, and then when I quit, I continued to do the conditioning exercises I learned.
    Now, I go to the gym and cycle and/or swim, stretching and conditioning. I also used to do power yoga and pilates, but the power yoga was too intense for my joints to handle, and the pilates class is held on Tuesday and Thursday, and I have prior obligations on both of those evenings now. But I try to get to the gym 4 times a week, and I also do a lot of crazy dancing at home. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I hit the gym 6/7 times a week, play soccer twice and grapple 2 r 3 times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Four hours total martial arts training weekly, usually another four hours horseriding and dog walking over the weekends.

Hour or so archery usually too. Oh, and swimming one or two afternoons weekly.

Can think of nothing more boring than a regular gym really.

Can think of nothing more boring than a regular gym really.

I agree but good god I have a long way to go before I meet your level of activity!

I agree but good god I have a long way to go before I meet your level of activity!

Might be something to do with having lots of spare energy.....(single!) ;).

Beng single is decreasing my opportunities for activity. :D

Thats my point exactly...compensation ftw :).

Thats my point exactly...compensation ftw :).

~lightbulb moment~

I think you might have single handedly saved 99% of the male population of boards, from being bored to tears by my constant pestering. :D

~lightbulb moment~

I think you might have single handedly saved 99% of the male population of boards, from being bored to tears by my constant pestering. :D

And think of the health benefits!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I do nothing. I am the single laziest person in the world ever. I've put on like a stone in the last year cos I don't have my speedy walking to school anymore!

I really must do something about that. I'm not overweight but I'd prefer to be back to last year's weight! Right now I'm just that bit too close to 10stone for my liking...

fonpokno wrote: »
    I do nothing. I am the single laziest person in the world ever. I've put on like a stone in the last year cos I don't have my speedy walking to school anymore!

I really must do something about that. I'm not overweight but I'd prefer to be back to last year's weight! Right now I'm just that bit too close to 10stone for my liking...

I bet your not the laziest person in the world. I have a friend who has to get a taxi if a walk if more than 300m. Seriously.
    What do you do with your lazy time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I haven't been as active as I should be lately. I used the Leaving Cert to justify my lack of physical activity. Pity it's over now. There'll be no more stuffing my face with Oreos while watching reruns of QI. :( I've started swimming for an hour a week though so hopefully that'll help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I bet your not the laziest person in the world. I have a friend who has to get a taxi if a walk if more than 300m. Seriously.
    What do you do with your lazy time?

Ok I'm not quite that bad, I'll walk somewhere rather than get a lift but I should still do alot more. With my lazy time I often sit, wander aimlessly around boards, do piano-ey things, learn to drive, its all very sedentary. and now being unemployed and a college dropout I have far too much lazy time for my liking. Maybe I'll start cycling...

stuffing my face with Oreos while watching reruns of QI. :(

Replace oreos with chocolate and that's me! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I probably walk a couple of miles a day in work,and then I walk my dogs, but apart from that, am a lazy lazy slob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I do kickboxing.. train for 2 hours 2-4 times a week, fencing mainly during the college year also, walking a fair bit, go for runs with the dogs (they're getting worryingly fat :().. I love sports in general and I'm hoping to take up some more martial arts this year! :)

Kickboxing has been amazing for me, I have to say. I started nearly two years ago now, and I've toned up so much, lost a fair whack of weight along with that, it helps me take out any rage =D and I've made loads of friends out if it too! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ditto - it's been way too long since I've had a workout of the horizontal kind! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

I do a lot of sitting on my ass. :p I smoke as well but I also watch what I eat and how much I eat. Perhaps the smoking and good eating habits are what keep me thin. But I'm also 26 and am getting older and will have to start getting active at some point.

I'd love to get into kick boxing or some sort of martial arts training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Trying to do an hours walk most days. Really enjoying it actually. I'm also thinking of taking up yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wickedwino

I joined curves a few months ago and find it great. I think I need to push myself a bit more to shift the weight though! I've never been sporty or fit so I'm trying to change the whole lifestyle thing and have a new me!! Has anyone succeeded in this??? I'm setting Christmas as a target!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Karen_* wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of taking up yoga.

I did a yoga course earlier this year it was absolutely brilliant and really really good for relaxing :)

Good luck if you do it, if you don't want to commit to a full course there is a yoga centre in the Burren who do a yoga weekend which might be a good intro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

wickedwino wrote: »
    I've never been sporty or fit so I'm trying to change the whole lifestyle thing and have a new me!! Has anyone succeeded in this??? I'm setting Christmas as a target!

Yep, change is doable. Go check out the Fitness forum. One good way is to find an active hobby that you enjoy doing and is some way sociable so exercise isn't such a chore. Dance classes, martial arts, horseriding, anything. Two years ago I was very sedentary and not too happy with the bod, somehow I've since morphed into a weightlifter. Competing is very motivating, I find :)

Advertisement