Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language is most used at the moment?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

I have a degree in software development which is a few years old now.
    I learned c\c++, java, j2ee and a few other bits and bobs.

Havnt really done much in the line of programming since college but would like to get back into it.

What language would you suggest for the modern working world.
    A friend suggested java.net?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'd go for Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

C# or VB .NET. Coupled with MS SQL server and you'll be a very useful employee for any business.

Edit: With experience in Java C# would be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

As you already have a background in Java and J2EE, I'd stick with that. Far as I can see from recruiting going on at the moment, Java and .NET (C#, sometimes VB.NET) would be the two most in demand currently. There's still plenty of C++ work to be had if you want to get into that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Java is probably #1, with C# gaining in popularity. However there's a real shortage of C and C++ skills, so they're worth focusing on. There's a huge amount of web-based stuff too, but you'll have to be pretty sharp in JavaScript as well as HTML and CSS, with an understanding of multiple frameworks like Dojo and scriptaculous.

A bit of database knowledge won't hurt either - one of the big ones though, Oracle or DB2, since the also-rans like SQL Server and MySQL don't have the same enterprise penetration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Searches performed on irishjobs.ie

VB.Net: 5208 jobs
    C#: 965 jobs
    Java: 1968 jobs
    PHP: 641 jobs

Oracle: 1846 jobs
    SQL Server: 1274 jobs
    DB2: 277 jobs
    MySQL: 360 jobs

A bit of database knowledge won't hurt either - one of the big ones though, Oracle or DB2, since the also-rans like SQL Server and MySQL don't have the same enterprise penetration.
    It's not very fair to describe either SQL Server or MySQL as also rans. MySQL is pretty popular with a lot of web developers, especially those focusing on PHP. SQL Server is hugely popular and is used for a wide variety of tasks from small desktop apps and web back ends right through to huge enterprise apps and data warehousing. I've done SQL Server work with some of the biggest companies in the world, and the impression I've gotten from all of them (the ones that use oracle at least) is that Oracle is in use in the big monolithic applications that are maintained by teams of in-house devs but new development and applications are being based on SQL Server.

There is a huge amount of work available with SQL Server, and a huge variety in the type of work it is used for. It may not be what you personally use day to day, but it is far from being an "also ran".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'd go for .Net . I've seen big java and .net projects. I wouldnt want to touch a large scale java project ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I can never understand why any one goes with VB.NET. VB6 was bad, VB.NET is an improvement but still compared to C# it’s a bit I don’t know. The number one reason I found to go for C# when upgrading from VB6 is it gets people out of the VB6 way of thinking. But any way that’s just an aside.

.NET + MS SQL will get you work, so will Java. In looking at the moment Java would prob land you a role quicker. If you know Java then C# will be easy to learn.

As for MS SQL Server being an also ran bpmurray what the hell are you on about? If you are living back in SQL Server 6.5 days then you might be right but in the time since then MS SQL server has been gaining a lot. I’ve done enterprise dev since the late 90’s every place has been running MS SQL and we are talking banks, insurance, government agencies and fund management. MS SQL Server has done a hell of a lot for the market and holds a very strong position. It’s a case of horses for courses and in the RDBMS world MS SQL server and MySQL are far from also rans!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

damnyanks wrote: »
    I'd go for .Net . I've seen big java and .net projects. I wouldnt want to touch a large scale java project ever

Depends on the project to be honest. I am sure you can find disaster movies written in .NET as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

I have a degree in software development which is a few years old now.
    I learned c\c++, java, j2ee and a few other bits and bobs.

Havnt really done much in the line of programming since college but would like to get back into it.

What language would you suggest for the modern working world.
    A friend suggested java.net?

I think you mean asp.net not java.net ?

Yes, personally I think that would be a good language to learn.
    My course was also mainly taught with Java in mind with a lot of other languages.

www.asp.net is a great resource for learning asp.net.

BTW, the C# syntax is very similar to Java so you'll pick it up very quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

damnyanks wrote: »

Both platforms have their good and bad points, If you ask me the problems with large software projects are largely independent of the underlying technology IMHO. Unless you have found a silver bullet in .net that I have not yet heard about .
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Depends on the project to be honest. I am sure you can find disaster movies written in .NET as well.

Deffo. There is more than enough bad code around for both platforms to share :).

* On an unrelated note to add to previous posters musings, I have been using SQL Server for the last few months at work and it is most definately a very good RDBMS indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

The figures about how many jobs are out there are not important at all.

If 5000 java programmers are requested but there are 10000 java programmers to fill these gaps, your are better off to study COBOL where there are 100 positions but only 10 people to fill these positions...

Ultimately, pick the language you like to program in, if you are good enough it doesn't matter what language you pick, the money will follow.

Advertisement