Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturers on strike.

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Am posting this here because I am incredibly angry I commuted for two hours up to the college today for my first day of fourth year, my honours degree year, only to discover that the lecturers are on strike from teaching fourth year marketing. This strike is due to the amalgamation of the two fourth year classes. The lecturers believe this is a bad idea, and I personally agree with them, however, as the college management don't agree, the classes have remained amalgamated and the lecturers have been told by their union to not teach fourth year marketing.

The head of department claims that they are unable to keep students up-dated on the situation and they may be unable to tell us when classes will resume. He basically told us to hold tight. I asked if this meant that I should just stay at home, and he said that is one interpretation.

This just isn't good enough. To let a situation like this escalate to strike action, and effecting fourth year students who are trying to work towards their honours degree is ridiculous. The college need to get their act together and get this sorted.

Our students union need to make it very clear that the students want classes to resume asap and that a number of them, any that I spoke to today, would prefer that the classes were separated back into two groups.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jim_Fim

i finished 4th year last year
    and we had the exact opposite problem

4th year almost didn't happen because there was only about 10 of us
    and when it did go ahead, on average only half of the students showed up to class.

maybe we they got used to the easy life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

hmm, thats a right pain. maybe you should let your head of dept know how you feel on paper and try get the rest of your year to do the same. at least it puts more pressure on them to get it sorted quick and not just wait it out. im sure they are trying but always good to air your views on such points which should clearly have been sorted out before the first day back.
    anyway just a thought. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That is crazy. First ive heard of it and im shocked by it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

thats nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do most of the students agree that the classes should not be merged? If so, speak with the Student Union and have them send a letter to the department head stating that they agree with the lecturers and that they expect a resolution to be reached promptly.

Or something to that effect. I'm a sucker for the power of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I have infact spoken to my department head and told him that the students I have spoken to feel that there should be two separate classes. The SU have been informed also and I really don't know what they are doing about the situation, but we have felt no difference. Third day down and still no classes. Hopefully things will be sorted by Monday. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Bryn wrote: »
    That is crazy. First ive heard of it and im shocked by it!

Me too. I find it unacceptable that 4th years should suffer in this way. I finished in the college last year but nothing like that ever came close to happening in my classes....which I am thankful for....

I would look at the oppurtunity of trying to raise signatures and bodies for a substitute of some description if you want classes to go ahead that much and its positive to see you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Update on this is that it took them two weeks before classes were restored, but they have been restored. They are still trying to work out tutorial hours and such, so I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed for this to happen!

Advertisement