Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I think my landlord is trying a fast one!!!

Options
  • 15-09-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi

I have just one question but first i will explain the situation.

I have left the room i rented from my landlord as i am travelling around south africa at the moment. My landlord has texted me about keys and i told him were i left them and I asked about my deposit. The landlord then informed me that he is sending me an invoice for the damages to the house i.e. the front door, as he claims I kicked it in. i didnt kick the door in and he has no proof either to say I have. The door was already damaged and where the latch is, it was tacked together and painted over to hide the tacks and a second lock put on the lower part of the door. Also there was no lease agreement between us.

I just want to know my rights and what i can do??

Also my landlord is a solictor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When you moved in did you take 100 plus photos and save them to a laptop or burn to a cd? And I mean every nook and cranny, depending on the size of the gaff, won't take more than 15 minutes.
    Did you type up a list of problems and post them (registered) to the landlord?
    Did you not pay your last months rent and tell the landlord to use your deposit? This isn't always advisable but if your certain your landlord will screw you on your deposit, it's all you can do.
    Did you meet your landlord before handing over the keys so you inspect the place together and sort out issues there and then?

If you say to no to all these OP, then schoolboy mistake and you'll know for next time.
    A landlord takes a deposit as they don't know you, trust you and need some protection against damage. You need to protect yourself if you are a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterboy99

I haven't even met the landlord!
    No didn't take any pics or have a tour around the house wit the landlord!
    He is now trying to get more money out of me so he can pay for the damaged door that was damaged already!!

Does this mean i have no protection for my deposit and can he come after me for more money without a signed lease???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

waterboy99 wrote: »
    Does this mean i have no protection for my deposit and can he come after me for more money without a signed lease???

No it doesn't mean that you don't have protection regarding your deposit and yes he can come after you for more money even though there isn't a signed lease.

See www.prtb.ie for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterboy99

so i didnt kick in the door and it was damaged before i moved in and there is no proof of me kicking in the door and i have never met the landlord and never had a tour with him before and after i lived there to access the house and i never signed a lease. Now that when its time to get my deposit back he can not refund it can even come after me for more money to repair damage that was done before i moved in, this can not be right????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Read my post more carefully, I answered a specific question and yes I am right. On the other hand, who will ultimately succeed i.e. you or the landlord? Nobody can answer with any degree of certainty based on the very limited account you have provided.

If your landlord want to pursue you for damage they allege you are responsible they will have to make a claim to the PRTB, where you will be given an opportunity to defend the allegations and counterclaim for your deposit. If you want your deposit back you should make the claim to the PRTB.

www.prtb.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement