Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mission Impossible (Tuesday 5pm)

• 15-09-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

After the excitement of Georgia and Montenegro Irish football fans have another huge match to look forward to in Berlin, Germany, this Tuesday, kick off 5pm (Setanta Sports TV Live) as the pride of Dublin, Saint Patrick's Athletic, represent Ireland in the UEFA cup against Bundesliga giants Hertha Berlin.

St Pats have had very poor form of late losing 3-0 to Bohs and drawing 3-3 with lowly Sporting Fingal. They also have an injury crisis and may have to field many reserve team players.

Hertha on the other hand are flying high, ex Liverpool and current Ukraine International Voronin should start along side Serbia International Marko Pantelic who scores 1 goal every 2 games for Hertha Berlin.

RTE Sport
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/index.html

Hertha Berlin Website;
    http://www.herthabsc.de/index.php?id=her_en

Hertha Berlin Preview;
    http://www.herthabsc.de/index.php?id=16873

St Pats Preview:
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/media.php?id=2585

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thursday is it not? champo games are on tuesdays, not the uefa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ha, Polish officials are refereeing the game. wonder if there's any chance of a few dodgy decisions goin Pats way? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Helix wrote: »
    thursday is it not? champo games are on tuesdays, not the uefa

This was moved to Tuesday (5pm KO) to facilitate German TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Yes, due to German TV channel DSF the match is on Tuesday at 5pm. The return leg at the RDS in Dublin is also on at 5pm. Tomorrow evening's game is at 5pm on Setanta Ireland.

If St Pats were to progress it would obviously be the greatest acheivment in Irish football since Jack Charlton qualified for Euro 1988. It would be a truly historic occasion for Irish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Two mates of mine have set out on their journey today to Berlin. A good few Pat's fans going out.

Love to see them get something to have a chance back in the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was about to start a thread on this....didnt know one was started.

Come on Pats, would love to see yee get a draw back to the RDS. Its on RTE2 yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Setanta Ireland.

5pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

is it on radio?

Another great preview, worth a read:

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=865603

Paisley out is a huge blow.

Hertha look like they want to finish the game early :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Giants of the Bundesleague? Mid ranking M'Lord.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pride of Dublin? Not even Pat Dolan tried to get away with calling them that.

mike65 wrote: »
    Giants of the Bundesleague? Mid ranking M'Lord.

Mike

They play in a stadium with a capacity of 75,000 people.

They have more Internationals that have played for Ireland in the last few years:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertha_BSC_Berlin

Their striker Pantelic took Ireland apart at Croke Park.

Their lowest position in the Bundesliga was 12th.

I think its fair to say they are pretty big :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are the Villa of Germany in my book (not very big)

Mike

Gareth37 wrote: »

Their lowest position in the Bundesliga was 12th.

You taking the piss?

bohsman wrote: »
    You taking the piss?

No, the Bundesliga is ranked one of the best leagues in the world. Of course it is a bit behind England top 4 teams and Spain top 2 teams but other that those big boys there is not much difference between Hertha and the other teams in any country.

People's standards on here are extremely high. They have a team of Internationals against a side from the suburbs of Dublin, Ireland who have less fans than Hertha have players.

In saying all the above I am hoping for a Pats goal in Berlin , if Pats can score early to take the lead we could be on course for the biggest shock in UEFA cup history.

Theyve been relegated out of the Bundesliga entirely stuck playing in a regional league.

bohsman wrote: »
    Theyve been relegated out of the Bundesliga entirely stuck playing in a regional league.

Something similar happened to Manchester but they are now one of the best teams in the world.

Fair enough, Hertha are no top CL side but they are easily as good as say Rangers, Celtic, Everton etc and are almost as good as Bohs. ;)

Marko Pantellic scoring against Ireland
    _44688032_3rep.jpg

The great home of Hertha Berlin in Munich Germany

398995470_496f1fa7d9.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

They have Voronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

They play voronin:eek:

Based on that...Pats to win 4 nil:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think whats most important for Pats is that they need to be still in with a fighting chance going into the second leg. Cause thats gonna have a massive impact on attendance at the home leg.

Highlights of Hertha vs Liverpool in July
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIyjWd7UeQA&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

Match is on Radio 1 Long Wave from 4.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Hertha on the other hand are flying high...
    Are they? According to UEFA, they've only won one of their opening four league games.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Two mates of mine have set out on their journey today to Berlin. A good few Pat's fans going out.
    500 Pats fans expected, apparently.
    Their lowest position in the Bundesliga was 12th...
    ...over the last 9 seasons, according to Wikipedia.
    :rolleyes: It's pretty big, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Berlin is in Munich now??? :P

German giant or not, this is a huge task for SPA. And I think it is a task they will not overcome. Though if Hertha are not concentrating tonight, who knows what may happen. It is entirely possible they under estimate SPA.

gimmick wrote: »
    Berlin is in Munich now???
    Jaysus, I can't believe I didn't pick up on that :o.
    German giant or not, this is a huge task for SPA. And I think it is a task they will not overcome. Though if Hertha are not concentrating tonight, who knows what may happen. It is entirely possible they under estimate SPA.
    Yeah, I'd agree. Massive challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it. I wasn't terribly confident after the performance against Fingal last week, but maybe that will act as a bit of a wake-up and keep them focused. I hope they can bring a result back to the RDS; realistically, an away goal is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Berlin is in Munich now??? :P

G'wan Pats.!

It's a cup game. Get out of there alive and bring them back to Dublin. They'll get the fright of their lives when they clock the fans and realise the combined might of Liverpool, ManU, Celtic and Sunderland are against them. :P

SectionF wrote: »
    They'll get the fright of their lives when they clock the fans and realise the combined might of Liverpool, ManU, Celtic and Sunderland are against them. :P

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Extended highlights of their recent 2-2 draw with Wolfsburg (voronins debut):

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1561201/

They look flakey at the back and imo Pats can get a goal over here to take back to the 'core.

Its getting really exciting now, just 3 hours to go. Could be an unbeleivable night for Irish football. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

No word of team yet? I will guess:

Ryan

O'Cearuill
    Gavin
    Harris
    Paisley (or Byrne)

Guy
    Fahy
    Dempsey
    Quigley

Murphy
    O'Neill

It depends on what system/formation Pats use. Paieley and Murphy are injury doubts so Byrne and Fitzpatrick could start or Quigley up front with Kirby or O'Brien down the left flank.

Should be well worth watching this evening, I had a dream last night of an early St Pats goal :eek:

Extended highlights of their recent 2-2 draw with Wolfsburg (voronins debut):

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1561201/

They look flakey at the back and imo Pats can get a goal over here to take back to the 'core.

Very confident now after seeing that. St Pats, especially Fahy, are excellent at running at teams and that seems to eb Hertha's downfall. Also, ST pATS are good in the air at the back so no problems there either.

Come on St Pats, do it for Ireland :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

djpbarry wrote: »
    500 Pats fans expected, apparently.
    Ffs, they cant even muster that number to bring to Tolka...

It depends on what system/formation Pats use. Paieley and Murphy are injury doubts so Byrne and Fitzpatrick could start or Quigley up front with Kirby or O'Brien down the left flank.
    I would imagine they'll start with 5 across the middle; Guy and Quigley on the flanks, Dempsey and Lynch sitting in front of the back four, Fahey as the playmaker and Fitzpatrick as the lone front-man.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Ffs, they cant even muster that number to bring to Tolka...
    In fairness, there's far more interest in seeing Pats playing Hertha than watching them canter to another handy 3 points against Rovers.

I would imagine they'll start with 5 across the middle; Guy and Quigley on the flanks, Dempsey and Lynch sitting in front of the back four, Fahey as the playmaker and Fitzpatrick as the lone front-man.

That sounds about right. paisley and Murphy are out injured so:

Ryan

OCearuill
    Gavin
    Harris
    Byrne

Lynch
    Dempsey

Guy ( ;) ) --- Fahy
    Quigley

Fitzpatrick

Hertha are giving Pats no respect. Playing a 4 3 3 to finish them off early and only 7000 fans to turn up. I think a lot of people will learn a lot about Irish football over the next week and I hope a shock is on the cards :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

In fairness, there's far more interest in seeing Pats playing Hertha than watching them canter to another handy 3 points against Rovers.
    Bunch of bleedin gloryhunters more like.

Anyway, I hope they get a result out there. Dont see it myself, but never say never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder did Pat's ask for the first leg to be in Dublin.

Not that it matters, Hertha to win by a comfortable two or three this evening.

Des wrote: »
    I don't think so, no. As far as I'm aware, there would not have been a ground available for them to use.

Not that it matters, Hertha to win by a comfortable two or three this evening.

You obviously have not seen Pats play :pac:

Irish football is better than Scottish football now and Pats are better than Rangers and Celtic put together :pac:

I don't think so, no. As far as I'm aware, there would not have been a ground available for them to use.

Of course, the RDS is being used for the egg-chasing last weekend and this.

Are any Liverpool fans going to the second leg to cheer on their player?

Shambolic retards if they do.

• Advertisement

I hope that these pro British "fans" too and bring a Union Jack with them too. They will look very foolish when the Pats qualify :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pats wont qualify. Hope they give a good account of themselves and keep it respectable for the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

To see Voronin play?? Probably just turn up to make sure he actually is a Berlin player now.

Can't see Pat's getting a result tonight, i really can't. I'd say three one to Hertha. Hopefully, we get an away goal to bring back. Fahey being passed fit is a massive boost (if he is passed fit, haven't heard yet). Without him, there'd be no chance.

Are any Liverpool fans going to the second leg to cheer on their player? Shambolic retards if they do.

They hardly would Des? Its bad enough that some Soccer fans from Ireland dont know this game is on or acknowledging it, but to do that!

Trilla wrote: »
    They hardly would Des? Its bad enough that some Soccer fans from Ireland dont know this game is on or acknowledging it, but to do that!
    Some absolute muppets went to see Bohs playing some Swedish outfit, and supported the Swedes, just because Larsson was playing for them.

Some absolute muppets went to see Bohs playing some Swedish outfit, and supported the Swedes, just because Larsson was playing for them.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liar.

There's a couple of people on here that like to make things up to suit them. SectionF and the Sunderland thing for example. The Irish are no different to any other nationality in the world with our interest in Sunderland and he knows that.

Anyway, I shouldn't ruin this thread. Looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Drogheda -v- Helsingborgs IF in Dalyer. Few Drogs fans I know who were at it say that could easily see at least 100 odd Celtic jersey wearing goons cheering after he scored.:rolleyes: Can't beat the oul Oirish "fans" I tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Has the Pat's team been announced yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

monkey9 wrote: »
    Has the Pat's team been announced yet?

Nope afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement