Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting people with no tax?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

I was minding my own business reading a book in my room when I hear some scumbag a few houses down my street laughing about how he hasnt had tax for 4months and isnt bothering to renew it.

Later I was behind him as he left the estate and his rear lights werent working either.

Anyone know how(or if there's even a point) to report someone for having no tax on a car that's being used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Tragedy wrote: »
    I was minding my own business reading a book in my room when I hear some scumbag a few houses down my street laughing about how he hasnt had tax for 4months and isnt bothering to renew it.

Later I was behind him as he left the estate and his rear lights werent working either.

Anyone know how(or if there's even a point) to report someone for having no tax on a car that's being used?

Blow your whistle?

Seriously though, if you were going to report him then surely your first port of call would be the Gardai.....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

What's it to you if he doesn't tax his car ?

Maybe you should mind your own business!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DM-BM wrote: »
    What's it to you if he doesn't tax his car ?

Maybe you should mind your own business!

Defrauding the state of revenue = directly defrauding every tax payer in the country.

The Guards would be the people to call about this and his lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If he's not insured I'd report him, not taxed I wouldn't give a flying fcuk :D

The rear light not working is a classic example of why Gardai need number plate recognition systems in all their cars, this would spot the car not being taxed and when pulled over a wealth of other problems would be spotted like perhaps no NCT, non road worthy car etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Let the guards do their job, they've enough to be doing than investigating busy bodies like yourself reporting your neighbours. He'll be caught in his own time.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If he's not insured I'd report him, not taxed I wouldn't give a flying fcuk :D

The rear light not working is a classic example of why Gardai need number plate recognition systems in all their cars, this would spot the car not being taxed and when pulled over a wealth of other problems would be spotted like perhaps no NCT, non road worthy car etc..

No NCT would also be caught by a competent ANPR system... as would no insurance on the vehicle (but obviously not the driver!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Let the guards do their job, they've enough to be doing than investigating busy bodies like yourself reporting your neighbours. He'll be caught in his own time.

And during that time he could well jam brakes in the dead of night, with no lights mind, and end up killing someone...

(granted the OP said rear lights, not brake lights, literary license :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

So just call the local Garda station and give them the details? Thanks MYOB :)

Why should anyone be allowed to get off without motor tax? I pay it, most other people pay it, why exactly should anyone get away without paying it? Same for NCT/Insurance or keeping their car in a safe condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

yea i agree, if he had no insurance id be worried, but no tax? i wouldent be worried, hell if i had no conscience id not be paying tax either, i have spent over 1500 euro alone in the last year replacing shocks and CV joints cos of the state of the roads.. why should i have to pay another 350 quid a year for the privilege of driving on the roads that caused it? :eek:

Mena wrote: »
    And during that time he could well jam brakes in the dead of night, with no lights mind, and end up killing someone...

(granted the OP said rear lights, not brake lights, literary license :pac: )

ALthough OP mentioned the lights his query was reporting for no tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Squeeler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The government needs €8 billion to balance the books so every scrap of tax is needed, thanks OP :)

I definitly report someone for no insurance. Not so sure about no tax but hey, your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

ALthough OP mentioned the lights his query was reporting for no tax

He did, however, also mention the lights, so I thought it prudent, since nobody else picked up on it, to expand on it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'm having a hard time understanding how you were minding your own business? They're not 'getting away with it'. I hate this whinge about "I pay my tax why shouldn't they pay theirs?" They do HAVE to pay it, they just haven't been caught.. If you want to take that risk be my guest, save you bitching about it.

Disclaimer: I have a serious issue with road tax, I have spent double what I pay on road tax on shocks for my car due to our roads being so bad. I pay it, and pay it and get nothing back. Think I'll take a leaf out of your 'scumbag' neighbours book and cheat the system for awhile, you could report me in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

micmclo wrote: »
    The government needs €8 billion to balance the books so every scrap of tax is needed, thanks OP :)

Yes, especially the way they spend the money so wastefully, they need lots, lots, more of it :mad:

The motorist pays double in taxes from VRT, VAT, road tax and fuel duty than is actually spent on our roads.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Yes, especially the way they spend the money so wastefully, they need lots, lots, more of it :mad:

The motorist pays double in taxes from VRT, VAT, road tax and fuel duty than is actually spent on our roads.

Not too mention some of the best roads in the country have tolls more ways to rape the irish motorist.

Oddly enough, I'm nearly certain the same people telling people to mind their own business, calling them squealers, etc would be the first person to bitch that 'this country has gone to the dogs' when they clearly have no concept of civic responsibility in the first place

eringobragh - care to pay the PPP road builders for those roads now, out of cash we don't have then? We didn't pay for those roads to begin with, the tolls are to pay for them. Simple maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

OP- perhaps look for a hobby to occupy your spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time understanding how you were minding your own business?
    Because I wasn't going around looking at peoples tax discs, I was reading in my bedroom when some guy down the road was talking loudly enough for me to hear him and laughing about it.

If you cant see the difference, then you probably shouldnt post anymore as I dont think you can add anything worthwhile.
    They're not 'getting away with it'. I hate this whinge about "I pay my tax why shouldn't they pay theirs?" They do HAVE to pay it, they just haven't been caught.. If you want to take that risk be my guest, save you bitching about it.
    Actually, whether I pay tax or not is irrelevant.
    Disclaimer: I have a serious issue with road tax, I have spent double what I pay on road tax on shocks for my car due to our roads being so bad. I pay it, and pay it and get nothing back. Think I'll take a leaf out of your 'scumbag' neighbours book and cheat the system for awhile, you could report me in advance?
    Who gives a **** if you have an issue with road tax? You run a car, you pay it. No ifs or buts.
    You have a problem with it, start an action group or complain to your TD. You still pay your tax or dont use a car.

It's called duty and responsibility, this country would be a far better place to live in if more people understood those concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dave147 wrote: »

Dont pay your road tax so. The government dont really care. They collect motor tax.

Nowhere (most of all the name) does it state the money is ringfenced for roadbuilding.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »

eringobragh - care to pay the PPP road builders for those roads now, out of cash we don't have then? We didn't pay for those roads to begin with, the tolls are to pay for them. Simple maths.

I understand that but surely after say hmm 17 years of tolling a certain bridge for example its time to shut shop there..No?

I understand that but surely after say hmm 17 years of tolling a certain bridge for example its time to shut shop there..No?

Ask the French. They have the biggest network of Tolls I've comes acrosss while driving coupled with a population that protest if it rains when they dont want it too. Yet tolls are fine there.

The contracts have specified expiry times on them. The West Link is an entirely different issue due to the... strange way its been handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

The state of the roads damaged my car too, and i often have to pay to go on the roads anyway due to a toll. But fair is fair and i pay my tax.

I would never report anyone for this, but if they were flaunting the fact they dont pay, then they deserve to be reported..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's called duty and responsibility, this country would be a far better place to live in if more people understood those concepts.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'd report it OP.
    He'd report you if you stole money from his wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ask the French. They have the biggest network of Tolls I've comes acrosss while driving coupled with a population that protest if it rains when they dont want it too. Yet tolls are fine there.
    or ask the brits - they have thousands of miles of toll free motorways

VH wrote: »
    or ask the brits - they have thousands of miles of toll free motorways

I got hit for stg4.80 (iirc) on the M1 toll near Birmingham when Iwas collecting my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stekelly wrote: »
    I got hit for stg4.80 (iirc) on the M1 toll near Birmingham when Iwas collecting my car.
    That would be the M6 Toll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

have you ever exceeded the speed limit in your life? if you have then report yourself when your there, the law is the law.
    if not your to be admired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement