Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting people with no tax?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

audismelly wrote: »
    have you ever exceeded the speed limit in your life? if you have then report yourself when your there, the law is the law.
    if not your to be admired.
    You're not comparing like for like.

Have you ever eaten a grape in a supermarket and not paid for it? If not you should be locked up for 20years like armed robbers.

One day you'll figure out why the GOOD guards are ones who dont write up every minor offence, are willing to give informal cautions, or let things slide when there's a very good reason to.

PS: I've never exceeded the speed limit :) (I'm still on first provisional, no way in hell I'm taking ANY chances. If I felt it was unsafe to follow the speed limit as a full driver, I would break the speed limit in a heartbeat and hope that if caught I was caught my someone with an ounce of cop-on. I'd pay the fine and take the points though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Tragedy wrote: »
    You're not comparing like for like.

Have you ever eaten a grape in a supermarket and not paid for it? If not you should be locked up for 20years like armed robbers.

PS: I've never exceeded the speed limit :)

no i havent eaten a grape in a supermarket.
    why would you get 20years for not eating a grape?

think you have been eating a few hash grapes:D

my advice is get double glazing and finish your book.

no i havent eaten a grape in a supermarket.
    why would you get 20years for not eating a grape?

think you have been eating a few hash grapes:D

my advice is get double glazing and finish your book.
    Why would I report myself for speeding because I reported someone for having no tax?

It's called a non-sequitur, I think you should read a dictionary while I get double glazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I was minding my own business reading a book in my room when I hear some scumbag a few houses down my street laughing about how he hasnt had tax for 4months and isnt bothering to renew it.

LOL @ that preface... doesn't half you make you sound like a weasely busybody.

If you want to grass him up then have the balls to ring up. What are you looking for? A url like www.GrassYouNeighboursUp.ie/motortax so you can just tap in address and watch the gardai arrive through your netted curtains?

BTW, if it were one of your non-scumbag neighbours would you call the authorities?

Why would I report myself for speeding because I reported someone for having no tax?

It's called a non-sequitur, I think you should read a dictionary while I get double glazing.

sorry i just have kids dictionary coulnt find non-sequitur
    it did have a few words..........the rat ,nosey parker, busy body.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sorry i just have kids dictionary coulnt find non-sequitur
    it did have a few words..........the rat ,nosey parker, busy body.:cool:

One very accurate for you, "child".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Alun wrote: »
    That would be the M6 Toll.

Yep. That one too.:)

MYOB wrote: »
    One very accurate for you, "child".
    who are you his mammy?

Heathen wrote: »
    yea i agree, if he had no insurance id be worried, but no tax? i wouldent be worried, hell if i had no conscience id not be paying tax either, i have spent over 1500 euro alone in the last year replacing shocks and CV joints cos of the state of the roads.. why should i have to pay another 350 quid a year for the privilege of driving on the roads that caused it? :eek:

bah i have had buckled wheels and that crap too

but the worst was when like a good boy i taxed the car for a year, then 6 months later had serious engine trouble and it was off the roads for almost a year after as i bought a second car and worked on it myself at weekends totally reconditioning the engine.

There is no way of claiming back the road tax you already paid once you pay it. In my eyes now the state owes me 6 months road tax for a 2litre.
    I know this wont stand up in court and I havent yet tried to go without tax since but its wrong.

Also to the vrt customs thread to all those against the guys who havent paid yet..... it was an illegal tax. Because we love to rat each other rather than stand united to make things better for us all things wont change.

One day you'll figure out why the GOOD guards are ones who dont write up every minor offence, are willing to give informal cautions, or let things slide when there's a very good reason to.

The problem with that is that in somewhere like Dublin, with a lot of Gards, the same person gets warnings for the same minor thing 5 o6 times because they always see different gards. therefore they never bother doing anythign about it (the "isolated" speeding, illegal numb er plates). It's not the same as a small town where there the same 3 or 4 gards all the time.

The minor things should be logged on Pulse or similar, then if the same minor offence starts popping up repeatedly, a punishment should occur.

Also to the vrt customs thread to all those against the guys who havent paid yet..... it was an illegal tax. .

Jesus this little treasure again. No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

who are you his mammy?

As I said.

When you can participate in a grown-ups conversation, come back to us.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The problem with that is that in somewhere like Dublin, with a lot of Gards, the same person gets warnings for the same minor thing 5 o6 times because they always see different gards. therefore they never bother doing anythign about it (the "isolated" speeding, illegal numb er plates). It's not the same as a small town where there the same 3 or 4 gards all the time.

The minor things should be logged on Pulse or similar, then if the same minor offence starts popping up repeatedly, a punishment should occur.

or we could pay a fuel tax and get rid of annual motor tax and have the Gardai do some real policing rather than have them out tax collecting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - we all have our opinions on tolls, VRT, VAT, duty on fuel, fines, etc, etc. Forget the opinions - the law is the law whether you like it or not. If I pay road tax (I don't, my employer does) then why should someone else not? Fair point, but we have Gardaí for policing this. If the OP wants to do something about it then, yes, inform the Gardaí.

Personally, for road tax I wouldn't be arsed calliing the Garda station - I might consider it for no insurance.

But if the offender in the original post is driving around with lights not working, he'll be more obvious to the Gardaí as the nights get shorter........ It'll catch up with him eventually and if he does get stopped/caught then that's the end of 'getting the form signed' and he'll be liable for all the arrears and possibly a fine and a compound release charge. I know all about it as I had to pay it years ago when I was caught and had the car impounded.

or we could pay a fuel tax and get rid of annual motor tax and have the Gardai do some real policing rather than have them out tax collecting

The Uk have higher fuel tax AND they still have motor tax. Motor tax is somethign thats not going away.

If everyone paid theres then the gardai wouldnt have to check.

MYOB wrote: »
    As I said.

When you can participate in a grown-ups conversation, come back to us.

dont worry wont be having one with you.
    just browsing this thread ,its probably a mickeytake anyway

im here to learn things about cars from guys like audichris,bazz26,colmc etc not argue over whether some bookworm is going to tell the gards he heard a bold man talking about breaking the law

nitey nite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

PS: I've never exceeded the speed limit :) (I'm still on first provisional, no way in hell I'm taking ANY chances. If I felt it was unsafe to follow the speed limit as a full driver, I would break the speed limit in a heartbeat and hope that if caught I was caught my someone with an ounce of cop-on. I'd pay the fine and take the points though.)

Would you admit to driving without a full lisenced driver with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What a dreadful thread ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dead_thread.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

It's called duty and responsibility, this country would be a far better place to live in if more people understood those concepts.

Interesting concept, if only our lords and saviors in power could do the same, and perhaps give us a decent road network equal to the taxes payed? We all no complaining to our TD's won't do anything, they are not actually going to lower road tax. In most other areas, one can choose to select another product if the one you are using is poor quality or overpriced. The Irish road network is both, and the Gov have a monopoly on the motorist.

Saying things like "its unfair but you have to pay it" is a cop out from the real issue.

OP, might I suggest you go away and get a life and worry about your own tax?:P

Mickk wrote: »
    Would you admit to driving without a full lisenced driver with you?
    That would be the reason I've been on the roads ten times in six months despite having my own car, insurance and tax. So far it's cost me approx €2500 in tax/insurance/depreciation for about 8 hours use. And I'm not that well off :)

I've taken absolutely NO chances driving. Maybe I'll loosen up when I get my full license(3 more weeks\o/), maybe not.

The reason for the thread was:

1) I figured there was a good chance guards wouldnt care.
    2) If 1) wasnt true, I thought there was a good chance there would be a special department to ring.

@nice1franko, the reason I classed him a scumbag was because he was openly laughing about having no tax and no intention of paying it. That might make him a crusading White Knight for the plights of poor embattled motorists everywhere to you, it doesn't to me.

@astraboy: I dont think you understand how taxes work. Where taxes and income for the government come from has little or no relevance on where it's spent. Why exactly should income on motorists only be spent on motor related expenses? Of course it could be more equitable(I like the English system of lower road tax and higher fuel costs), but it is of no import. Money comes from various places into a big pot, money goes out to various places from the big pot. What you say about motor tax could as well be applied to VAT/PAYE. We dont get to choose competing products(like that makes sense?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

A fella I'm in college with has been caught 3 times this year by the Gardai for having no tax.
    He's only been fined around 120€ each time, and sent on his way with a warning.

Still cheaper than paying to tax his 2 ltr petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

@nice1franko, the reason I classed him a scumbag was because he was openly laughing about having no tax and no intention of paying it. That might make him a crusading White Knight for the plights of poor embattled motorists everywhere to you, it doesn't to me.

I don't think that it makes him a "crusading White Knight" to anyone, Grimey. No one gives a shít. Not even, as you suspected, the gardai. How much is the tax? A few hundred a year? He'll probably get caught and have to pay but even if he doesn't, so what? It's negligible!

Maybe you think you're one who's "standing up" (by grassing him up anonymously) - and don't even start with that "if I have to pay everyone has to pay" crap. It's childish, esp. where a petty amount like this is concerned.

For shame, op. Get a life.

I don't think that it makes him a "crusading White Knight" to anyone, Grimey. No one gives a shít. Not even, as you suspected, the gardai. How much is the tax? A few hundred a year? He'll probably get caught and have to pay but even if he doesn't, so what? It's negligible!

Maybe you think you're one who's "standing up" (by grassing him up anonymously) - and don't even start with that "if I have to pay everyone has to pay" crap. It's childish, esp. where a petty amount like this is concerned.

For shame, op. Get a life.
    Yes, I love people who work under the table while claiming the dole, benefits cheats, people who never VRT an expensive car and get away with it, people who habitually drive without insurance/tax/NCT.

Because it's awesome.

You really shouldnt tell others "For shame".

This is for everyone really:
    If the cost to tax is so negligible that people should ignore it, why isnt it so negligible that he should man up and pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

astraboy wrote: »
    OP, might I suggest you go away and get a life and worry about your own tax?:P

Yes, OP perhaps take up a Hobby of some sort might kill some of your valuable time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

enough ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement