Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour parking outside our drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I also had problems a similar problem, but worse. People parked in my drive. On several occasions, even though we repeatedly asked them not to. Again I was renting (I know, tenants are scum of the earth and have shouldn't bother proper people who own houses!!!) and no-one in the house had a car. Granted this house was on a busy street near a university and on-street parking was not permitted. The house next door belonged to the university and was converted to some academic office or other. Anyway this one bint always kept parking her car in our drive!!! Now the drive was tiny and she parked her car right up against our living room window. I mean, when you were in the room and looked out all you could see was her dirty rear window!

So a few times we went round and asked, politely yet firmly, for her to move her car and not to park there again. Every time she just gave a sneery smile and said "What does it matter, you don't have a car?". I had no time for this rubbish, didn't even bother trying to explain to this ignorant woman how what she was doing was wrong. If she didn't know it herself then I pity her. So she would move it, but a few days later it would reappear!!! Without fail!

Eventually we told our landlady (she had lived in the house previously and the knob-end next door did the same thing to them, and they actually had a car!!!). Anyways they had removable bollards (metal ones that lock into the ground, not orange traffic cones) to block the entrance to the drive and gave us those. So that worked, but of course whenever a guest wanted to park there they had to be taken up! All because of that careless woman.

What really got me was her attitude. She really didn't give a f*** about anyone but herself. I'm sure she looked down on us because we were students. Also any argument that "we're only tenants" is crap beacause she only worked next door, she didn't live there. AND there was university staff parking around the corner, about a 2 min walk away.

Arrrrrgggggggghhhhhh! Rant ends here.

So to the OP. By all means politely yet firmly ask your neighbours not to block your drive but don't expect them to be nice about it. People can be very hostile. They will probably give you reasons why they should and can park there. Don't listen. Don't give them reasons why you need access to your drive - if they don't realise they are wrong now, they never will. Just tell em where to go and if they persist, then the gloves are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

That makes me think about how when people park in private commercial property like a university or shopping centre and they haven't paid/aren't a customer/student/whatever and what the security people do is affix a big A4 sticker to the side window saying "No Parking - Private Property". It's not a fine or anything, since they can't fine you, but it looks like a pain in the arse to clean off.

Maybe you could have tried that, an A4 printout and a tube of superglue :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

While on the subject of putting a notice on the car, you could print off a few notices off this site:

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

Won't do anything for neighbourly relations though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

jozi wrote: »
    Anything we can do about it? Just ask them not to park the car there? Get the agency to do something, we rent this house. Egg the car :rolleyes:
    You say you only use your driveway occassionally? How about renting out your driveway to them? If they say no then tell them to move their car. If they don't then call the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The problem with society today is that some people consider themselves more important than others.

Agreed, there is this, there is also the issue of people simply having ridiculous numbers of cars per house without adequate parking (my aunt's neighbours have 4 cars!!) and sometimes overcrowding in rented properties (5 bedroomed terraces converted into 12 flats full of couples - yes I've seen it!) However the issue here is that this is an ENTRANCE and it simply is unacceptable to block somebody elses building entrance without their permission. I would get a piece of wood and paint a sign saying "please do not obstruct entrance" and put it outside.
    The only alternative I can see is buying a couple of traffic cones and placing them right at the entrance to (possibly) obstruct him. Won't stop him moving them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, damaging vehicles isn't on. While it may is some petty way seem understandable, it isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

blah wrote: »
    It's not a fine or anything, since they can't fine you, but it looks like a pain in the arse to clean off.

Maybe you could have tried that, an A4 printout and a tube of superglue :cool:
    You can sue those who do this to your car for damages, as it's hard to get these stickers off, and can be seen as malicious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

jozi wrote: »
    Nobody wants to be the pratt asking their neighbours to move a car from your drive if you don't use it.

Exactly.

Why make waves/annoy people for no good reason [?]

- Imagine a World where people routinely complained about things that didn't even really bother them.

If it ever does become an actual problem you could politely ask them to change their habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

I am completely fed up with yummie mummies parking their 4x4's in front of my driveway to collect their kids from school.

Seriously, how ignorant do you have to to be to;
    1. park where there are road markings that specifically say 'keep clear' and
    2. equally block someone's drive way
    Furthermore when someone has parked their car blocking my driveway the next car comes along and drives up onto the curb and wrecks the grass. I now have thick mud outside my gate because of people driving onto the pavement.

The school have sent out letters telling them not to do it, the poor old lollipop man tells them not to do it, a garda once stood there and told them not to do it....and guess what? They still park there effin cars in front of my driveway from 1.30pm to 2.30pm 5 days a week.

......Roll on the summer.

I would suggest to the o.p to put two small traffic cones that you can get at any d.i.y shop and put them outside your gate. Your neighbors will get the message. Unfortunately i can't because its on a main road.
    Svalbard wrote: »

Every time she just gave a sneery smile and said "What does it matter, you don't have a car?". I had no time for this rubbish, didn't even bother trying to explain to this ignorant woman how what she was doing was wrong.

What really got me was her attitude. She really didn't give a f*** about anyone but herself.

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Parking outside the gate is annoying, but difficult to deal with. We found that taking pictures of the cars blocking the drives repeatedly seemed to intimidate some of the drivers.

Re the car parking in the drive, seems to me like a simple case of trespass. Again taking pictures, call the gardai, build up a dossier of evidence. There's also an insurance issue, what happens if the offender slips in your drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

athtrasna wrote: »

Re the car parking in the drive, seems to me like a simple case of trespass. Again taking pictures, call the gardai, build up a dossier of evidence. There's also an insurance issue, what happens if the offender slips in your drive?

(this ain't proper legal advice)
    Good point. If she keeps using your drive and you say nothing it could be taken that you've given consent.

There is snow predicted this week, what if she slips on your drive? You know she's a chancer so what will she do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I have always been told that it is illegal under some road traffic act, I don't know which one, does anyone know?
    Personally I almost never eperienced anyone blocking at my parents house, the few occasions that it did occur were rare and the neighbour would be out before anyone got to the door of the car.
    Even know that there isnt a car there now, no one parks in it or covering it as they know relatives turn up or me or brother.

Now its a different story, more cars, but people seem to have less consideration of others and their rights, asked my own neighbour to move his van, which was partially blocking my drive and was told, ohh can you hang on 5minutes???
    Wtf?? no I cant, I'm leaving now, I did say on another occasion when he parked up my drive blocking my car and started cleaning the van out??? to not block me in, I think you have to set a precedent but I am sure it is covered by a law.
    I'd like to be know it, anyone know someone in the Gardai to get a quote on the law/act.

I don't see any reason why I have to go looking for the offender plus the way they park always makes it awkward for the other half as she's not the best at getting the car in if they park even right up to our drive.

Lack of consideration I think, thats all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html
    S.I. No. 182/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.
    (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—
    (g) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Last night there was a parent-teacher meeting in the primary school across the road from me and while no one parked across my driveway two cars parked either side of it so close that it completely obstructed my view of the main road. In the end i had to break the law and drive down the pavement which is v.wide to get out onto the road. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

catch88 wrote: »
    Last night there was a parent-teacher meeting in the primary school across the road from me and while no one parked across my driveway two cars parked either side of it so close that it completely obstructed my view of the main road. In the end i had to break the law and drive down the pavement which is v.wide to get out onto the road. :rolleyes:

Inconsiderate ignorant tossers.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Weyhey wrote: »
    What's with the nasty replies - if you think the question is trivial just ignore it....

I think it is inconsiderate and you never know when you might need access to your driveway. If you let it continue then you will become more p'd off and miserable and it will cause friction between you and your neighbour and they will also think it is ok to do so. Try talking to them in a friendly manner about it.

Also have a look at this link where a guy got towed away for blocking a driveway. It mentions "Legally speaking you can not block an entrance to a private residence or gateway and if you do it contravenes the Road Traffic Act" - don't know how true it is.

http://www.dublinblog.ie/2008/02/19/tow-tally-peed-off/
    Ded right, hate when someone gets nasty wit reply..a form of boards bullying would ya say! Kinda puts ya off asking another question

Anyway , your situation would piss me off 2! ask nicely to stop parking there and if that doesnt work, take it as far as ya have 2 go
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

If someone parks in your drive how about letting the air out of one tyre so they have to change it. Do it every time and they will get the message.

Don't think there is anything illegal about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whizzbang wrote: »
    If someone parks in your drive how about letting the air out of one tyre so they have to change it. Do it every time and they will get the message.

Don't think there is anything illegal about this.
    Criminal damage to another persons car, I'd say. If I had to goto a hospital pronto like, only to find someone had let the air out of my tyres, I'd be fuming. Me taking the person to court would be the least of their troubles :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

the_syco wrote: »
    Criminal damage to another persons car, I'd say. If I had to goto a hospital pronto like, only to find someone had let the air out of my tyres, I'd be fuming. Me taking the person to court would be the least of their troubles :mad:

Well maybe you should have thought about that before illegally parking on my drive. ;)

Also, prove it.

I'm relieved that people mostly see the awkwardness it causes, not just the inconvenience but the tension it can create between people that live right beside each other.
    Why would someone start down that road (so to speak)
    I think it's inconsiderate and unreasonable, its an inconvenience and a pain that someone else considers you should approach them to ask permission to get your car out of your own drive.
    Thanks for the info re the road traffic act Victor.
    I didn't want to have to bring it up with them in the first place and I'm not going to escalate by doing anything that might bring a nasty response or give ammunition to say I did something against them.

I made it clear to them I didn't want to be blocked in again and then the guy partially covered my drive so I could squeeze out, I think he was giving me the two fingers there.
    I'm finding it difficult to exchange pleasantries with him, parking as he does, I feel he is being insincere.

I am sure if I parked covering him, he would make a big deal of it but if I'm inconvenienced I'm being awkward.
    thanks for the replies

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I didn't want to have to bring it up with them in the first place and I'm not going to escalate by doing anything that might bring a nasty response or give ammunition to say I did something against them.

BTW When I said I didn't want to have to bring it up with them I didn't mean the road traffic act :) I meant bring up asking them not to park in front of my drive.
    Was just looking for the specific information about the act and wanted to confirm it wasn't an unwritten rule, just in case anyone thinks I was gonna stand there like I was a garda and quote the act to them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Victor wrote: »

Thanks, for that Victor.

I was surprised to find this thread still active :)

The neighbors seem to park their car at the end of our drive over a period of a number of days. Haven't really noticed them parking there since starting this thread.

Go to know it's illegal to obstruct a drive without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We have this problem as well with the crowd next door...

On any given day there's between 3 and 8 cars parked outside their house
    (see attached pic - their cars in red, mine and the OH's in green)

Until about a week ago the car directly across from our driveway was sitting
    half in a hedge where it'd been left abandoned by them back in October. They also park up to 4 cars at the entrance to a gate across from their house. There's then the car that directly overhangs our driveway.
    We actually came home one night to find a car (in yellow in the pic) sitting parked in the middle of the road!

The result of this is myself and the gf having a nightmare getting cars in an out of the driveway. I drive a 06 Passat and as most will know these are fairly wide, long cars which meant having to turn sharply and "drop" the car off the kerb so as to avoid hitting the abandoned car in the hedge, or make several turns to get it out between their 2 cars outside our house. My other half drives a car with a very low bumper that's been knocked loose as a result of this as well

Talking to them hasn't worked... they either don't answer the door or give smart-arsed answers. The Gardai have been up several times (not called by us, but other neighbours on the road are as sick of it as we are!) and asked them about the car in the hedge but it still sat there up until last week.

We actually thought something had changed last weekend when the abandoned car and all 4 in the gateway were gone but tonight they're all back again with the exception of the hedge warmer!

I'm seriously thinking of calling their landlord tomorrow as we've both had enough at this stage! :mad: There's about 10 of them in there and I doubt the landlord is aware of that either. Plus half of their cars are Lativan registered and here at least a year! Quick call to revenue may be in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Plus half of their cars are Lativan registered and here at least a year! Quick call to revenue may be in order!

Definitely do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1

Advertisement