Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Model Audi A4 - Any feedback

Options
  • 15-09-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Folks,

just about to go to the dealer and place an order for the A4 2.0 Tdi (120bhp).

Has anyone heard or have any feedback regarding new model niggles?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Brother in law got one a few months back.my thoughts in a nut shell would be lovely looking,nice interior,even the poverty spec seats are quite nice,its alot bigger than the old A4,the common rail diesel engine feels quite smooth although in my opinion its too underpowered for such a heavy car.i can't comment on economy as i haven't lived with it for a long period!

Have you driven one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

the 120 engine is grand if you remap it up to I'm guestimating about 150-160bhp. lovely looking car.only thing is you wont get the super funky cool lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Drove both the 143bhp and 120bhp 2.0 Tdi. Was very impressed with the ride quality and build quality, but a man could go mental with the options list so keeping control there is essential. Base models are well enough specced with one or two tastey extras.

Coming from a 105bhp passat i found te 143bhp A4 a rocket and even found the 120bhp A4 lively enough when compared to the passat, even though its very heavy.

Thought with the salesman (who lives local to me) is that the 120bhp will represent better value for money as the extra paid for the 143bhp will cancel out come selling-on time.

DaMonk wrote: »
    the 120 engine is grand if you remap it up to I'm guestimating about 150-160bhp. lovely looking car.only thing is you wont get the super funky cool lights!

I'm concidering the sport model which comes with: Xenon lights with led daytime running lights; 17 inch alloys; 3 spoke s/wheel mf; front sport seats.

Was onsidering metallic paint but now like the brilliant red, non-metallic. That will save me €1300. Why in todays market is metallic paint extra?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't skimp on the paint. also I'd say you should go for the concert stereo, you get the SD card reader and the big colour screen with it. That and the colour DIS option make a big difference to the interior. Otherwise as well as the sport package I'd add hill hold, it's cheap and worth having as it stops a lot of the messing with the electronic handbrake.

Make sure you take a long test drive, the offset pedals were a major annoyance for me.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    don't skimp on the paint. also I'd say you should go for the concert stereo, you get the SD card reader and the big colour screen with it. That and the colour DIS option make a big difference to the interior. Otherwise as well as the sport package I'd add hill hold, it's cheap and worth having as it stops a lot of the messing with the electronic handbrake.

Make sure you take a long test drive, the offset pedals were a major annoyance for me.

Yip, was going for the concert radio. Whats the issue with non-metallic paint? The Brilliant Red stands out and is an eye catcher. Is it a durabiity or quality issue? Surely it all covered by the warrenty?

Yip, was going for the concert radio. Whats the issue with non-metallic paint? The Brilliant Red stands out and is an eye catcher. Is it a durabiity or quality issue? Surely it all covered by the warrenty?

assuming you ever want to sell it on, non-metallic paint is a killer for resale value. As you say it should be std and thats what everyone buying second hand thinks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Metallic is €1,045 based on the post-July pricing. I'd consider it worth it as non-metallic paint does affect the resale price.

If you like Brilliant Red, buy it. All the promo photos have been Brilliant Red with the LED lights and it looks savage in print. If you're merely buying Brilliant Red to save money, I'd consider it false economy - what you save on one end, you may lose on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I advise to take a drive in one with the wheel size you intend running. Ive an A5 (same platform) and it is a pig for pulling around the road to the point of being dangerous. If you are in the countryside with uneven roads, this certainly is a major issue as ive located a few now with the same trouble.

I'd suggest Servotronic for that, I reckon it'd fix most/all of the problems you've experienced Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

brundle wrote: »
    yes thats my other user name

Why do you have another user name?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

brundle wrote: »

yes thats my other user name

other username?

You do know that dual accounts are a bannable offence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

Didnt know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We've returned an A4 2.0Tdi 143 to the manufacturer for consitently non-starting, Airbag light permanantly on and an untraceable rattle from the dash. The driver does have a replacement model on order though and we have about 12 other A4's on the fleet with no issues.

I love the look of the car, and even the standard model is well specced (for an Audi), but I wouldn't order one. Possibly because of the way I sit, but the outside of my left foot catches on the foot rest whenever I depress the clutch - it's not just me either, a couple of customers have mentioned this after test driving. Would annoy the hell out of me every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What is wrong with the this country when it comes to buying underpowered cars.

Buy the 140bhp model.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I love the look of the car, and even the standard model is well specced (for an Audi), but I wouldn't order one. Possibly because of the way I sit, but the outside of my left foot catches on the foot rest whenever I depress the clutch - it's not just me either, a couple of customers have mentioned this after test driving. Would annoy the hell out of me every day.

When I first drove the RHD A4 I noticed that too, but after about half a day you've adjusted your foot position and it's not an issue.

It's only an issue for the test-drive, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don't think people should pay any attention to resale value when buying a car.

Just accept it will be worth very little anyway if you sell it on amd pick the options and car you like. Ideally keep the car for longer than 2 or 3 years and get value from it.

AudiChris wrote: »
    When I first drove the RHD A4 I noticed that too, but after about half a day you've adjusted your foot position and it's not an issue.

It's only an issue for the test-drive, if at all.

Could be Chris, but thats all most of us get before deciding! I was extremely unhappy with the awkward offset in the A4. The lhd version hasn't got the same issue, they really skimped imo leaving the rhd that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I don't know what kind of spec they have in Ireland at the mo, but when I was in Germany recently I got an Audi A4 1.8t sports tiptronic (or something) when I actually asked for a family car !!!! doh !!
    But........I didn't complain, I did push it to 210kph on the Autobahn, >>> wow ! You then grab the steering wheel with both hands, especially around corners, ie. loooong corners then become fast corners :)

see pics...

I don't know what kind of spec they have in Ireland at the mo, but when I was in Germany recently I got an Audi A4 1.8t sports tiptronic (or something) when I actually asked for a family car !!!! doh !!
    But........I didn't complain, I did push it to 210kph on the Autobahn, >>> wow ! You then grab the steering wheel with both hands, especially around corners, ie. loooong corners then become fast corners :)

see pics...

weird spec that, manual, not tiptronic though. Looks like a 1.8T 'sport' with the cheaper version of the satnav (cd based with no colour maps)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Its a pity the boot is the same size as the old one. I didnt notice a big difference between the 140 and the 120 so I'd either go for the 120 or the 170. Anyone know how much parking sensors are? AUDI.IE is quite poor. I might go up north and get the 170bhp avant sport in 2009 depending on exchange rate. But I'll also be testing the new Skoda Superb in a few weeks too (looks huge but its only 13cm longer than new a4 saloon)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

with the cheaper version of the satnav

yeah, it looked cheap, but performed well, ie. it got me around fairly easily.

the boot is the same size as the old one

note: the boot in the 1.8t was quite small

PS. I wouldn't mind this as a 2nd car, ah well, I'll keep dreamin !

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Its a pity the boot is the same size as the old one. I didnt notice a big difference between the 140 and the 120 so I'd either go for the 120 or the 170. Anyone know how much parking sensors are? AUDI.IE is quite poor. I might go up north and get the 170bhp avant sport in 2009 depending on exchange rate. But I'll also be testing the new Skoda Superb in a few weeks too (looks huge but its only 13cm longer than new a4 saloon)

think they were about 400 just for rear with audio, ~1k for parking plus (display on screen with front and rear sensors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

All

just so ye know, a friend of mine bought a new A4 in Jan 08, car was going great until one day it stood up on the road for him, not a budge, happened in May/June, brought to Audi garage where they told him the fuel filter had disintergrated and gone into some part of the engine and basically the car needed a new engine, of course you can understand his frustration about the whole thing, anyway the upshot of it was that the serivce manager told him that it was/is a problem in per july 08 A4's and that they are to be recalled to have this item fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Anyone know what the service interval and cost of a service on the new A4 is?

edit: i just found out the bro in laws one that i drove is actually the 143bhp version oops! id hate to think what the 120 bhp version is like as the 143 version is still underpowered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kluivert wrote: »
    What is wrong with the this country when it comes to buying underpowered cars.

Buy the 140bhp model.

+1 million

Buy one with a proper engine, not the bottom of the range Irish special model. IMHO the 143 TDI is not fast at all, so I'd be going for 170 minimum or the 2.0 TFSI petrol. The latest A4 has gotten that much bigger, so it certainly needs a bigger/more powerful engine than what would have been satisfactory before.

Why anyone would spend the kind of money a premium badge car costs and then proceed to go for a distinctly un-premium low power engine is beyond me. The only logical reason I can see is to have a better badge.

As for resale value, if you trade it in soon enough, then you're guaranteed to get more for the more powerful model than the low power model, and what about all the added satisfaction of driving a car with more power?

All those extras the OP was talking about earlier, with the honourable exception of metallic paint(essential in any car, not just an Audi), the rest count for a big fat nought come resale value time too.

Apart from metallic paint, leather and an automatic gearbox, extras merely make a car more desirable and that's it. You won't get a red cent back come resale time for any of the others.

So go and enjoy a premium car the way it was intended and buy one with a proper engine, not a mickey mouse underpowered paddy special one:)!

I was offline there for a few days folks so thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Its a fine car to look at and drive, I got over the initial odd feel with the pedal layout after taking the car on a long test drive. Its not an issue with me.

Cheers for the feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

E92 wrote: »
    +1 million

Buy one with a proper engine, not the bottom of the range Irish special model. IMHO the 143 TDI is not fast at all, so I'd be going for 170 minimum or the 2.0 TFSI petrol. The latest A4 has gotten that much bigger, so it certainly needs a bigger/more powerful engine than what would have been satisfactory before.

Why anyone would spend the kind of money a premium badge car costs and then proceed to go for a distinctly un-premium low power engine is beyond me. The only logical reason I can see is to have a better badge.

As for resale value, if you trade it in soon enough, then you're guaranteed to get more for the more powerful model than the low power model, and what about all the added satisfaction of driving a car with more power?

All those extras the OP was talking about earlier, with the honourable exception of metallic paint(essential in any car, not just an Audi), the rest count for a big fat nought come resale value time too.

Apart from metallic paint, leather and an automatic gearbox, extras merely make a car more desirable and that's it. You won't get a red cent back come resale time for any of the others.

So go and enjoy a premium car the way it was intended and buy one with a proper engine, not a mickey mouse underpowered paddy special one:)!

Premium car? I thought we were talking about Audis?

• Advertisement

Another priceless contribution to the motoring forum by the man they call groupB,have you considered dropping top gear your CV boss,you seem like the natural successor to clarkson?

As my granny used to say if you have nothing worthwhile to post on the thread don't bother posting! :D

Advertisement