Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Model Audi A4 - Any feedback

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

groupb wrote: »
    Premium car? I thought we were talking about Audis?
    :D
    tossy wrote: »
    Another priceless contribution to the motoring forum by the man they call groupB,have you considered dropping top gear your CV boss,you seem like the natural successor to clarkson?

As my granny used to say if you have nothing worthwhile to post on the thread don't bother posting! :D

Wow, keep your hair on! In fairness Audis ARE premium, at least in the way they're marketed [gentle dig;)].

I fully agree with E92s points about underpowered, underspecced paddy specials. An A4 Quattro with at least 170bhp upwards would probably be a great car. But an underspeced 120bhp one on steel wheels? For status seeking badge snobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

As my granny used to say if you have nothing worthwhile to post on the thread don't bother posting! :D

Words of wisdom from your Granny. Well up on technology, she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

pburns wrote: »
    :D

Wow, keep your hair on! In fairness Audis ARE premium, at least in the way they're marketed [gentle dig;)].

I fully agree with E92s points about underpowered, underspecced paddy specials. An A4 Quattro with at least 170bhp upwards would probably be a great car. But an underspeced 120bhp one on steel wheels? For status seeking badge snobs...

Audi in alloys now standard shocker!!! :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Another priceless contribution to the motoring forum by the man they call groupB,have you considered dropping top gear your CV boss,you seem like the natural successor to clarkson?

Buy this weeks Autocar and see how the A4 Avant comes last in a test against its prestige rivals , the Citroen C5,Subaru Legacy,Honda Accord and the Ford Mondeo (which wins). looks like someone else might have a similar opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Buy this weeks Autocar and see how the A4 Avant comes last in a test against its prestige rivals , the Citroen C5,Subaru Legacy,Honda Accord and the Ford Mondeo (which wins). looks like someone else might have a similar opinion.

At least now i know where you are getting all your expertise motoring knowledge from,i think ill pick myself up a copy of what knitting machine magazine and head on over to the knitting forum to spout crap ive read in a magazine that i have no practical knowledge of.

Ive actually driven the car in question on this topic,i agree it could be classed as a premium car but not with the low powered diesel engines on board.

Did Autocar have a free poster of the winning ford mondeo to hang on your wall beside the other car posters?

EDIT

The fact you answered this topic with a snide comment proves to me that you don't belong in here,if you were a real motoring enthusiast you would have answer this topic by advising the OP to pick up the latest autocar,that you had just bought it and there was an interesting road test of the new A4 against some of its competitors and that it made for interesting reading,but no your entire contribution to this thread is yet another useless contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ive actually driven the car in question on this topic,i agree it could be classed as a premium car but not with the low powered diesel engines on board.

I dont know. Audi A4s are the motoring equivalent of Brown Tomas. Some people believe they are getting top quality kit. In fact, they ARE getting top quality kit, but at an astonishingly high price.

I have driven neither the new A4 nor mondeo, but past experience would suggest the mondeo is at least as good to drive, and at least as reliable (i'd wager better in both counts though). The a4 will have a nicer interior. There is however a massive diffence in price that is not reflected in reality...

Even if the A4 was rwd of fwd i'd say something. but even Subaru can do all that for under 30k.

A4s are just a waste of money really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1 . By the way Tossy I bought the mag on Friday AFTER the comment I made that upset your rose tinted view of Audis. I've had both old model Mondeos and A4's and i'm a qualified fitter and I can assure you by going on EXPERIENCE plus the thoughts of some well respected motoring journalists the mondeo is in my experience a far superior car to an A4 and it appears with the new models the trend continues. If I upset the OP in any way , sorry but we are all here to give an opinion. As for you Tossy , I'll send you a poster of a mondeo if I get one in that mag. If you get one of an A4 in max power or whatever you read you can send it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

+1 . By the way Tossy I bought the mag on Friday AFTER the comment I made that upset your rose tinted view of Audis.

That still doesn't excuse the comment you made,it brought nothing to the thread whatsoever! As for my rose tinted view of audis? i don't know what ive said to give you that impression,im on record here as saying that the lower end diesel engines are underpowered,surely if i had a rose tinted view i would be on record saying the lower power diesel engines are rockets? i did say i believe it was a nice looking car alright,and i still think its a nice looking car,thats a matter of opinion though.
    I've had both old model Mondeos and A4's and i'm a qualified fitter and I can assure you by going on EXPERIENCE plus the thoughts of some well respected motoring journalists the mondeo is in my experience a far superior car to an A4

Ok my brother is a mondeo man and has been since day one,the latest shape and previous shape mondeos are a great car,the latest shape isn't around long enough to rate yet but the previous shape is standing the test of time well,but the first shape (mk1 and mk2) mondeo?? come on that was a joke of a car,put it this way how many 98 mondeos do you see on the road still in pristine condition? none! ....how many 98 A4s do you see on the road still in pristine condition? quite a few,how many mid 90s 1.8 diesel(absolute mare of an engine) mondeos are out there touching 300k? not very many as the had a nasty habit of shedding there timing belts long before the were due.So i will admit that slowly but surely ford are picking up the pace but it took them along time to get there.Besides personally i wouldn't ever buy a diesel car again so i would be looking at secondhand big engined petrol cars like old S4s or RS4s,these are the only audis to tempt me these days,let me see RS4 or mondeo ST? hmmmmmmmmmm (again only a matter of opinion)
    As for you Tossy , I'll send you a poster of a mondeo if I get one in that mag. If you get one of an A4 in max power or whatever you read you can send it to me.

No no you are ok i stopped hanging posters on the wall along time ago,save it for your garage,i like to gain my knowledge of cars by actually getting out there and driving them,if i haven't driven a car or at least got a spin in a car then i will refrain from having an opinion on it that goes beyond how it looks.I also refrain from posting useless and unhelpful posts on threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Sure there's nothing like posting a thread about the VAG stable to get the debate going.

I've test driven the new A4, impressed with the ride quality, comfort and the car in general. The slightly offset pedals takes a wee while but i got used to them.

Wouldn't go for a Ford, same as others wouldn't touch VAG. Just a personal opinion. And no worries folks, the OP didn't get offended by any comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

come on that was a joke of a car,put it this way how many 98 mondeos do you see on the road still in pristine condition? none! ....how many 98 A4s do you see on the road still in pristine condition? quite a few,how many mid 90s 1.8 diesel(absolute mare of an engine) mondeos are out there touching 300k? not very many as the had a nasty habit of shedding there timing belts long before the were due.

That has more to do with who bought Mondeos and A4s than the cars. A4s and mondeos react the same way to concrete bollards and pillars! The mondeos had terrible bumpers though that cracked on the slightest impact.

You are wrong about mondeos being unreliable. We have had a Mk1 1.8TD from new. The engine was outclassed in its day only by the 1.9TDI (although by 2000 it was well behind the HDi etc). It forms the basis of the 1.8 TDCi in modern fords. Our car has 205k troublefree miles up.

I have never heard of timing belt problems. Most mondeos died from snobbery.

An RS4 is of course a superior car to the Mondeo ST. It would want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 169

I got my new 2.0TDI A4 in April. Since the middle of August it has a slight pull to the left and steering to the right has been stiffer that steering to the left at speeds below 40mph. I took it to the dealer and they re-aligned the car and it has been fine since. Why would a 6-month-old car go off alignment so soon? I drive mainly on National Primary Roads and did not hit any kerbs while parking. The first set of tyres is still on the car.

Advertisement