Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a data bundle...!

• 15-09-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Lads

I am getting worried about my constang dial up usage and want to migrate to a data bundle (not o2 as crap coverage).

can I get a voda data bundle (or do meteor do this also?) and use my n82 as a carrier, with 5gig limit?

I dont want a modem as do not want to do the 12 month thingy.

do you need to be a business user to get a data bundle with voda, or do you need a contract? I just want to 'top it up' every month.

I am not worried about voice calls as I got another phone.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the only provider that does proper payg broadband is 3. €25 a month for 10GB. you can just get a 3pay sim and put it in your current phone as long as it's 3g

i feel dirty :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i feel dirty :(
    Scumbag :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the only provider that does proper payg broadband is 3. €25 a month for 10GB

I said in my post that I do not want to use a 12 month contract also I would rather move to darfur and use dial up there than migrate to 3.

has anyone any news re: vodafone or meteor data add on's?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I said in my post that I do not want to use a 12 month contract also I would rather move to darfur and use dial up there than migrate to 3.
    As sam said in his post, you pay €25 a month for 10GB. He mentioned nothing about a 12month contract.

I see, my apologies.
    so if you get this from three you dont give them any personal details at all or sign up for anything?

• Advertisement

how do you credit the three sim with 10gigs every month? :confused: I dont want to do any dd mandate or any of that stuff, especially with three..!

apparently three have 3g coverage in my kneck of the woods, so I might risk them.

how do you credit the three sim with 10gigs every month? :confused: I dont want to do any dd mandate or any of that stuff, especially with three..!

apparently three have 3g coverage in my kneck of the woods, so I might risk them.

it's a pre pay sim, you just top it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Does anyone know for sure if an Irish 3pay SIM will work for a) data and b) voice in Hong Kong and in that order as part of 3 Like Home? Yes, I know 3 say no on their website but that hasn't changed since forever and there is the possibility that the situation may have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I dont want to do any dd mandate or any of that stuff, especially with three..!

You could get a pay as you go broadband modem with them for €79, 14 day no quibble money back gurantee....

If you buy €40 top up at a time you get €8 free, which brings the montly price down near €20pm if you spread it out over the year....and your not in contract...

if you don't use a huge amount of data, there relax price plans are very good and worth catching before they disappear....

You could get a pay as you go broadband modem with them for 79, 14 day no quibble money back gurantee....
    he said he doesn't want a modem and he wants to use it in his n82. And a sim that can do that costs e9.99

if you don't use a huge amount of data, there relax price plans are very good and worth catching before they disappear....

he said twice that he doesn't want bill pay and he also said he doesn't want it for voice. You're recommending a plan that he doesn't want and is of no use to him.

On that plan the minimum he can spend is €19 a month which will get him 90MB, no minutes or anything else and a contract he doesn't want. there is of course the add on for 1GB for €10 or 10GB for €25 but he can get them without signing up to a contract and without getting relax units that he has no use for by simply buying a sim for €9.99

• Advertisement

basically drunkmonkey, i feel like reporting that post for shilling since what you recommended was the exact opposite of what he wanted and either you're incapable of reading or you were trying to get free advertising for 3 that people other than him will see

basically drunkmonkey, i feel like reporting that post for shilling since what you recommended was the exact opposite of what he wanted and either you're incapable of reading or you were trying to get free advertising for 3 that people other than him will see

Take it easy Sam, I recommended the Pay as you go Broadband Modem (no contract required)....no harm in that....

Get off my case, i don't start quoting & reporting everyone that says Metero is the bees knees......OP asked a question and I just gave me 2cent....I think the pay as you go modem is what the OP needs or to get an unlocked modem and stick in a pay as you go sim.....

OP never said how much data they were going to use, that's why I mentioned relax, when someone comes out with a more flexible price plan my 3 phone will go out the window but until then...stop jumping on everthing I say.....some one asks a question, I'm entitled to answer...end of story!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I would rather move to darfur and use dial up there than migrate to 3.

Jeez '3' are only a mobile operator, not some tin pot country.

Why don't you take up all the operators on there data packages, they all have a returns policy, normally 14 days. Then go for the one that works and offer's pay as u go options.

I recall all the Meteor knocking the first few years they entered the market, I find it funny that we now have all the '3' knocking. Only for Meteor and '3' we wouldn't have a reasonable amount of competion in the market.

Don't knock it until you try it.

I have been with all operators (Tesco excluded as it is 02 virtual carrier), they all have there pluses and minuses. To me it come down to quality and cost.

Take it easy Sam, I recommended the Pay as you go Broadband Modem (no contract required)....no harm in that....

you recommended something that costs €79 when he said he didn't want one and there is an alternative for €9.99

Get off my case, i don't start quoting & reporting everyone that says Metero is the bees knees
    but pretty much every time you say that 3 is the bees knees, you're giving incorrect information and/or recommending a 3 offer which is nowhere near as good as an alternative offer. i have no problem with you recommending 3 as long as you're not giving misleading information or giving bad recommendations
    ......OP asked a question and I just gave me 2cent....I think the pay as you go modem is what the OP needs or to get an unlocked modem and stick in a pay as you go sim.....

he has an n82 which has hsdpa. he has no need for a modem
    OP never said how much data they were going to use, that's why I mentioned relax, when someone comes out with a more flexible price plan my 3 phone will go out the window but until then...stop jumping on everthing I say.....some one asks a question,
    it just boggles the mind. yes the relax plans are flexible but he can get 1GB for €9.99 a month without a contract and the max he can get on the relax plans is 950MB, which costs €99 a month. the minimum plan is €19 a month which gives him a max of 90MB. flexibility is irrelevant when you're paying almost double the price for 11 times less data and signing up to contract that you very specifically don't want
    I'm entitled to answer...end of story!!
    and i'm entitled to correct you when you give bad advice

Mylow wrote: »
    I have been with all operators (Tesco excluded as it is 02 virtual carrier), they all have there pluses and minuses. To me it come down to quality and cost.

then you've never had to deal with 3 customer care :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

then you've never had to deal with 3 customer care

You seem to be on some sort of anti '3' crusade.

Yes I have dealt with customer care, and yes it's dreadful.
    But I personally spend 99.99999999% not talking to customer care, so it's not an issue for me. A quick web search will show you how to escalate any issues you have with them.

You do however miss the point, if we still had the 2 incumbent operators we certainly wouldn't have the choice we have today.

Why don't you post highlighting the positive and cons of each package/provider, that way you no longer have to follow up other people's post's highlighting our 'sillyness':o, and save on your valuable time.

i'm entitled to correct you when you give bad advice

You are Sam, but I didn't give bad advice...just a slight twist on what you recommended...

OP never mentioned how much data they were using...(hence i mentioned relax)

I recommended the payg modem as from experience some times you need to use both your phone and the broadband at the same time..

OP clearly dosen't understand the options available to them....as they have swung form " I would rather move to darfur and use dial up there than migrate to 3" to how much is that?

Just for the record i've an 02 Modem, I was using their GPRS signal last night and it was pretty good, no real problem with you tube etc...
    Is OP completley sure that "all" 02 signal in there area is bad?

Sam your reading my posts through "your" eyes, we don't all look at things in the same way....and please stop breaking up everything I say, it's makes you look nit pickey:p

then you've never had to deal with 3 customer care :P

and you've obviously never had Meteor customer care annoy the hell out of you....couple that with abominal service from Eircom and you've got one stinker of a company which will probably be up for sale shortly....suggest you and JMC buy it Sam....can't see the whole lot costing more than 1cent with their 3.5Billion debt mountain and the Badcock shares plummeting further every day:D Hell, i'll even give you 3cent and a cherry towards it:D

OP never mentioned how much data they were using...(hence i mentioned relax)
    but relax gives 11 times less data for double the price. regardless of the amount he's using, the relax plans do not give him the best deal. if he's using a large amount, the relax plans don't give him enough and if he's using a small amount, the payg add-ons are cheaper and give him more data
    I recommended the payg modem as from experience some times you need to use both your phone and the broadband at the same time..
    if you read his first post you'll see the following:"I am not worried about voice calls as I got another phone."
    OP clearly dosen't understand the options available to them....as they have swung form " I would rather move to darfur and use dial up there than migrate to 3" to how much is that?
    again, if you read his post, he was talking about signing up to a contract with them. and getting a payg sim separate to his phone does not require migration
    Sam your reading my posts through "your" eyes, we don't all look at things in the same way....and please stop breaking up everything I say, it's makes you look nit pickey:p

i'm not nit-picking drunkmonkey. this is not a case of me being biased, you recommended the opposite of what he needed and it's become apparent now that you didn't seem to read his posts. he said he wanted:
    1. a data bundle
    2. no contract
    3. no modem because he has a phone specifically for it and a separate one for calls

you recommended
    1. a modem for €79 when a sim for €9.99 will do the job better and easier
    2. a modem which he doesn't need because of the separate phone he said he had
    3. a contract
    4. a contract that will give him 11 times less data for double the price of a payg deal. for some reason you think that if he uses less data, he should sign up to tariff that gives less data even though it's more expensive :confused: tell you what OP, give me €100 a month and i'll give you no data!!!

and you've obviously never had Meteor customer care annoy the hell out of you....couple that with abominal service from Eircom and you've got one stinker of a company which will probably be up for sale shortly....suggest you and JMC buy it Sam....can't see the whole lot costing more than 1cent with their 3.5Billion debt mountain and the Badcock shares plummeting further every day:D Hell, i'll even give you 3cent and a cherry towards it:D

oh don't get me wrong here. i've had a terrible time with meteor customer care. the difference with 3 is that 3 customer care will refuse to acknowledge that problems exist and will lie to customers and make them do pointless things like wipe their sim or send their phone in for repair because it seems like they're afraid to escalate things higher. they will also lie in saying that they have escalated things when they haven't

meteor may not be able to fix problems but at least it's not company policy to lie to customers and pretend the problems don't exist

• Advertisement

You seem to be on some sort of anti '3' crusade.

Yes I have dealt with customer care, and yes it's dreadful.
    But I personally spend 99.99999999% not talking to customer care, so it's not an issue for me. A quick web search will show you how to escalate any issues you have with them.

you'll note that at the start of the thread i recommended 3. my crusade here is against drunkmonkey recommending things which are the exact opposite of what the guy needs.

also, i mentioned the customer care because you said it comes down to quality and cost. if i have a problem and i have to spend 3 months waiting for them to stop telling me to wipe my sim and acknowledge that a problem exists, i'd consider that low quality
    You do however miss the point, if we still had the 2 incumbent operators we certainly wouldn't have the choice we have today.
    that's absolutely true
    Why don't you post highlighting the positive and cons of each package/provider, that way you no longer have to follow up other people's post's highlighting our 'sillyness':o, and save on your valuable time.
    i have done many many times. in this case i looked at what the guy wanted and i saw that 3 suited him best, so i recommended it despite my dislike of them.

Sam will you for gods sake shut up and stop quoting me...The poster or anyone else with an opinion can't get a word in edge ways...You seem to have appointed yourself chief Spokesman for the Poster, I'm sure their more than capable of deciding the merits of each option by themselves....who knows relax might be the pefect option....we just don't know at this stage....

We still haven't established how much data the poster requires, until we know this for sure there is no way of recommending any sepcific network or package above the other.....

I recommend some options for a data bundle and you have slated my opinion at every opportunity.....this is bad form Sam:eek:

Sam will you for gods sake shut up and stop quoting me...
    i'll stop quoting you when you stop giving bad advice
    The poster or anyone else with an opinion can't get a word in edge ways...
    it's a forum, not a conversation. it's not like i can shout you down
    You seem to have appointed yourself chief Spokesman for the Poster, I'm sure their more than capable of deciding the merits of each option by themselves....
    not quite drunkmonkey. i simply read what he wrote and recommended something based on it. then when you recommended something else i pointed out that what you recommended was not in line with what he said he wanted. it's not so much that i'm his spokesman as i have to keep reminding you of what he's already said

who knows relax might be the pefect option....we just don't know at this stage....

We still haven't established how much data the poster requires, until we know this for sure there is no way of recommending any sepcific network or package above the other.....

the guy said in his OP that he wants a payg data bundle. the only payg data bundles available in ireland are 3's 1GB and 10GB packages. it's really quite easy to recommend a specific package tbh

I recommend some options for a data bundle and you have slated my opinion at every opportunity.....this is bad form Sam:eek:

you recommended 90MB for €19 with a contract over 1GB for €10 without one ffs. it's not bad form, it's simple math!

Sam the poster said "I dont want a modem as do not want to do the 12 month thingy."

The Poster was associating a modem with a 12mt contract, that is incorrect....

3 Do a pay as you go modem, and 02 do something very similar with there 30 day notice broadband....

Let the poster speak for themselves, if they think what i'm recommending may not suit them, let them say it....now will you get down off the Soap box...

you recommended 90MB for €19

Sam, again this is all in "your head", I never once advided the poster to sign up to relax 90, nor did I mention Relax 90 or 950 or any other specific price plan....

I really think this I hate 3 thing is getting to your common sense:p

Sam the poster said "I dont want a modem as do not want to do the 12 month thingy."

The Poster was associating a modem with a 12mt contract, that is incorrect....
    yes that is incorrect but he also said he has an n82 and therefore doesn't need a modem. that is not incorrect. an n82 can do everything a modem can and an awful lot more and he already has one and doesn't need to spend €79 to buy it
    3 Do a pay as you go modem,
    i know they do. the OP doesn't need one
    and 02 do something very similar with there 30 day notice broadband....
    o2 do a comparable tariff which is more expensive for less data. the package that allows 30 days notice gives only 5gb for €30, versus 10GB for €25 or 1GB for €10
    Let the poster speak for themselves, if they think what i'm recommending may not suit them, let them say it....now will you get down off the Soap box...
    i have let the poster speak for themselves ffs. he's given me all the information i need to tell him what's best for him. the rest of my time has been spent making sure you don't have him signing up to a tariff that will cost him a lot more for a lot less

Does the n82 do HSDPA. though? I'm not sure.

culabula wrote: »
    Does the n82 do HSDPA. though? I'm not sure.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-2177.php :)

If the OP intends to do any travelling then a 3 data bundle on a 3Pay SIM is simply unbeatable. MORE data, LESS cost and free roaming in at least 5 territories including our next-door neighbour. 3data seems to work a lot BETTER in a handset such as the 6120 than in the supplied E220 modem which, in my opinion, cripples the service, somewhat.

• Advertisement

he's given me all the information i need to tell him what's best for him

Sam that is "your" opinion on what's best for the OP!!!!

If history tells us anything it's you really love meteor and I like 3, our opinions will always differ for the next 2 years or so, your going to have to accept that fact and stop disecting everthing I say....

We still never established how much data they OP needs? Until X In the City comes out and tells us exactly how much data they want per month and how they intend to use it all we can do is offer some guidence based on our experience with people in similar circumstances.....

Sam none of our advice is correct yet as we do not have the full facts, The OP is entitled to change there mind about using a modem instead of the phone so it's no harm that there aware of the other options available....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement