Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drawing a map os computer

Options
  • 15-09-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi How can I make a clourful map of some walks on computer.
    I have a photocopied black and white version of what I want.
    how can I get it into the computer and add colout and annotation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

You'll probably need a scanner firstly.

Then you'll need some image editing software (you should be able to pick up a trial of photoshop)

Then you'll need to figure out how to use photoshop.

An alternative to photoshop would be paint.net or the gimp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you don't have a scanner or the patience for photoshop there are easier ways.
    Do you have a digital camera? the el cheapo option is to take a picture of the photocopy, copy to your PC, open it in Paint (Start>all programs>accessoriers>paint) and paint over the routes with a coloured brush.

Won't look terribly fancy but it should do the job. Alternatively post the scanned/photographed image up here adn someone will have a go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If it's a map, then Photoshop might not be the ideal tool. Something like Illustrator or Inkscape may be more appropriate.

Of course don't forget that Illustrator can be particuarly tricky to use for a novice. And if the OP is unfamiliar with scanning an image then reccommending high level software like Adobe's may be the wrong way to start.

5uspect wrote: »
    Of course don't forget that Illustrator can be particuarly tricky to use for a novice.

For a novice ... I find it impossible :P :D

Maybe best thing is to ask a friend for a tutorial if they have one.
    It sounds like a quick enough job. If they don't have a scanner as you said they can take a picture (assuming of course they have a digital camera)

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote: »
    For a novice ... I find it impossible :P :D

Maybe best thing is to ask a friend for a tutorial if they have one.
    It sounds like a quick enough job. If they don't have a scanner as you said they can take a picture (assuming of course they have a digital camera)

Everyone had access to a digital camera of some sort today!
    Illustrator is a very, very, difficult program to learn indeed, I do love it tho:o

It would be an interesting introductory tutorial for someone here to post up perhaps. Of it the OP could post their photocopy people here could do the colourisation in various applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, Inkscape or Paint and explain how they did it.

Lots of people have an interest in doing such types of simple jobs but don't have the foggiest where to begin. Unfortunately many think they must have photoshop, but there are many more free and easier alternatives.

(I don't rate GIMP as an easier alternative, only a free one:p)

Everyone had access to a digital camera of some sort today!
    Illustrator is a very, very, difficult program to learn indeed, I do love it tho:o

By that I'd say that everyone has access to a scanner. Through work ... through a friends work ... friends house and so on. My dad even has a scanner :D

And I'd think the scanner would be a better way to go in terms of having the right angle of the image ... no glare .. and so on.

Of course I could also say everyone has access to google maps and drawing a route on one of those is quite handy to do. Take a screenshot and away you go.

Having tried to teach non technical people (clients) how to use some graphics packages ... its painful :( Even things like their understanding of the file structure is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gbarra

I took a photo of the photocopy and I have it in the computer now.
    Is there a program or package I can use to draw over it on another layer so I would not be using the lines of the origional?
    thanks

Layers can be found in Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, The GIMP, and I thnik Paint.net

Illustrator also does layers but rather than painting pixels it lets you use a type of graphics, called vector graphics, that is best described as curvefits. This means you can zoom it to any size without loss of quality. It also makes the file smaller.

I'm not sure if inkscape (a free alternative to Illustrator) does layers. However you should be able to easily draw on the pixel based (rastor) image and your vector graphics won't interfere with the pixels.

I'm not sure if inkscape (a free alternative to Illustrator) does layers.

Yep it does ... I quite like inkscape actually it just needs to come on a bit more. Its great given its free :D I've done one logo with it before and it turned out quite nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 techguru2k8

scan it in as a .jpg and create layers in photoshop cs3 to draw on top of the scanned layer using opacity changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gbarra

Think i will try inkscape as it is free. thanks for the advice.

Advertisement