Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading woes

Options
  • 15-09-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Well ive been building pcs since I was about 11. I must have gone through atleast 30-40 builds in the family, friends, work etc etc.

And all have gone according to plan. It was only a matter of time before I got shafted. And this week is that week. My dad recently ordered a mobo upgrade kit. It arrived and was faulty, so we sent it back and got another one.

Its a biostar MCP6P-M2. It came with an AMD athlon x2 5200 and 3 gigs of ram. Its been problem after problem. The first problem was only one ide connector, so we went and bought a new sata HDD. And heres where the problems are mounting.

The original IDE drive will not boot up. It has a serious amount of serious documents on it, and it will not boot. It just freezes saying veryifing dmi pool or some ****e.

So then I decided right ill whack in the new HDD, load up windows and go from there. And happy days it was working, granted some drivers missing but working. But it was displaying as 127GB, not 350GB as it should.

So I had a nosey and realised it had an unlocated partition, taking up nearly 200GBs. So I decided, right ill just delete that partition. But it wouldnt delete, was then told you have to format it first, then delete it. So after sitting around ages having it format, i deleted it, for it only to go back saying unlocated.

So then I decided right im going to whipe it completely and start again, and it went grand no bother. But then when it was finished installing xp, it rebooted. And everytime i load up the machine, it goes to a page asking to hit F1 to continue or del to get bios ( note this screen requires f1 to pass, it also says floppy drive missing)

You press f1 and it gets to a page displaying heat info and cpu rpm etc, then says veryfing dmi pool, the ngoes onto windows xp logo and loading bar.

After this, a mouse pointer is seen, and the pc reboots. And this happens...over and over and over again. No fiddling with the bios is fixing it. Worse still, I can no longer get an option up to boot from the CD, to try format yet again.

I'm farely pissed of at this stage, a simple upgrade has turned into a disaster.

So if anyone can lend a helping hand it would be brilliant, im about another day away from sending it back completely.

I would love to have the new hard disk up and running, or ideally, have the old hard disk with my dads seriously essential documents, working in the machine again. To reiterate, it jsut keeps saying " veryifing dmi pool" and does **** all.

Any info welcome, and please note, i didnt advise my dad on what to buy he did it without consulting me, so if its a well known **** mobo let me know.

Help greatly appreciated if you can, thanks in advance

Advertisement