Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When the Covers are Just SO Much Better!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black

You are completely wrong on that one dude.

Completely!!

Machine Head's version of Alan's On Fire and Negative Creep are super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

i prefer metallicas version of turn the page!

Brilliant version. Also, their version of "Tuesday's Gone" by Skynrd is quite good too. I remember hearing the original version on the radio one day, then I played Metallica's version from "Garage Days Re-Revisited", and I thought: "Wow".:eek:

EDIT: Or how about Pearl Jam's version of "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Placebo's version of 'Where Is My Mind' pisses all over the original for me. It was written for Brian Molko's voice -

You know, I didn't expect I'd like that half as much as I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Killswitch Engage - 'Holy Diver' (Dio)
    No. Just no. How you can say that a shítty metalcore version of a classic is "SO much better" than the original is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    No. Just no. How you can say that a shítty metalcore version of a classic is "SO much better" than the original is beyond me.

I'm more on the power metal side of life, and I have an extreme dislike towards the metalcore genre itself, but after hearing KSE's cover and then comparing it to Dio's version, it just sounds boring.

The cover could have done without the screaming of course, but aside from that, there's nicer harmonies and a very nice solo, not to mention the increase in tempo gives it the energy the original didn't have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Not even an actual fan but Mr.Manson's cover of Tainted Love is far better than the original!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I suppose covers like that one annoy me because they undermine what the music of a certain era/genre is/was supposed to be about.

Dio, and much of classic metal, is a lot slower than modern metal, as well as being less bassy and having less wankery complexity for the sake of it.

I like covers that bring something new to a song, but not when a song is just rerecorded in a new style to be more "up to date" with the latest market of listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

EDIT: Or how about Pearl Jam's version of "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy??

It was ok and great to hear that night, but its fair to say it was a bit botched!!

PJ doing 'Love Reign O'er Me' though is absolutely classic, they stole the show at this years VH1 rock honours!
    A lot of the covers they do sound excellent, I would still love them to try 'Outshined', which they have sondchecked once!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I suppose covers like that one annoy me because they undermine what the music of a certain era/genre is/was supposed to be about.

Dio, and much of classic metal, is a lot slower than modern metal, as well as being less bassy and having less wankery complexity for the sake of it.

I like covers that bring something new to a song, but not when a song is just rerecorded in a new style to be more "up to date" with the latest market of listeners.

What's the difference between bringing a song 'up-to-date' and adding something new to it? I don't see how KSE were undermining Dio's genre. Isn't it a compliment that a younger band acknowledges an older band as influential? Besides, it could introduce KSE fans to Dio and classic metal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Not even an actual fan but Mr.Manson's cover of Tainted Love is far better than the original!

It may be better than the original but it's not a patch on Soft Cell's version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

HIM's version of Chris Isaac's classic "Wicked Game" is.... erm.... wicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

GNR's versions of Knockin on Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die are amazing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, one of the best covers I've ever heard in my life was Laibach's version of Sympathy for the Devil. It's so dreadfully unique, they really put their own twist on it. Give it a listen to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ministry's Lay Lady Lay has always had an odd appeal to me. Don't ask me why but I love it. :D

Huge fan of the Smashing Pumpkins version of 'Dancing in the Moonlight.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2VSaPOQ-o

Not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It may be better than the original but it's not a patch on Soft Cell's version.

Soft Cell's version is seriously good.

Actually I quite liked Marilyon Manson's Personal Jesus. Not anywhere near as good as the original, but he's got an eye (ear?) for a good cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Firewind - "Maniac" :p:D Ok so both are... bad... but one is clearly less...bad...than the other ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I really don't get the love for Lacuna Coil's version of Enjoy The Silence, it was good without being great.

To name a few.
    Pantera - Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
    Megadeth - No More Mr Nice Guy (Alice Cooper)
    Fields Of The Nephilim - In The Year 2525 (Zaeger & Evans)

VR!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you all lose. THIS is the best recent cover ever.

I really don't get the love for Lacuna Coil's version of Enjoy The Silence, it was good without being great.

I'd go so far as to say her voice doesn't suit that song. Nice voice, but not really what that song needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

not sure if its been mentiod but i love the yngwie malmsteen's cover of gimme gimme gimme:

• Advertisement

Sonata Arctica's cover of 'You are the Wind Beneath My Wings', originally by...I'm not sure. Some auld one with a loud voice. Sonata's version is much better, imo.

I'm ashamed to admit i know this but... (here goes)
    Singer/Actress Bette Midler is probably the auld one with a loud voice that you're referring to.

I was thinking that but I wasn't sure. I'm sure the only reason you know it was her is because of the 'Simpsons' episode where she sings it with Krusty on his comeback show. :p

Sadly, it's just a case of being that freakin' old.
    Bette Midler almost put me off my passion for red haired females too, but that's probably a topic for Personal Issues ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

I'm a newbie here so dont throw me off if I offend anyone please?? :D

I love most of the covers Metallica have done, they dont change the tracks but bring their own 'energy'? to them. I'm a big Budgie fan but Metallica's cover of Breadfan just blows me away. As does their covers of Nick Cave's Loverman, Queen's Stone Cold Sober, The Misfits' Last Caress, Diamond Head's Am I Evil, to name a few.

Also I think Black Stone Cherry's cover of Gary Moore's Shapes of Things is way better than the original. And already mentioned Pantera doing Orgasmatron & Planet Caravan, wicked!!

My humble opinions of course!! :)

]Queen's Stone Cold Sober

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the name of the song ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't the name of the song ;)

:o My bad, have no idea where that came from!!

I do of cours mean Stone Cold Crazy!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Lizzys version of Bob Segers Rosalie

Fcukin brilliant:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Kyuss-Catamaran

Singers voice and scott reeders bass playing suits the song beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Blue850 wrote: »
    absolute rubbish but a laugh..

:D

I first heard this song many many years ago. The singer sounds so much like Bon Scott, it's scary.

Love the words - "electic fences..... High Voltage!"

Advertisement