Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When the Covers are Just SO Much Better!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Not exactly rock but by the legendary Faith No More and their cover of an old BeeGees song.

Brilliant!

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this.... KORN - Word Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

deman wrote: »

Ehm, I'm not!

Even Mel B's version was better! :D

chin_grin wrote: »
    Ehm, I'm not!

Even Mel B's version was better! :D

:o

I knew there was a better version out there, just couldn't remember who did it. Thanks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OK, here's one we all know the original but how many have heard this great cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 G-izzles

Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion, originally by Genesis to me jus has more energy and effort even. Convey's the message more aggressively as it was intended to, better than Mr. Collins did, with his vocals too sweet and nasal to real evoke any emotion in any form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I dunno, the Genesis original had Spitting Image in the video :).

The Disturbed version is pretty good though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Ataris - Boys of Summer

Not necessarily better but certainly a superb rock-ier alternative to Don Henley's original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Xavi6 wrote: »

Not necessarily better but certainly a superb rock-ier alternative to Don Henley's original.

Was still better than that horrible waily crappy-ass nut filled turd dance version that came out the other year.

• Advertisement

I posted this just a few posts up.... number 67, I think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Placebo's version of 'Where Is My Mind' pisses all over the original for me. It was written for Brian Molko's voice -
    You know, I didn't expect I'd like that half as much as I did.

I didn't like it half as much as I thought I might. Where did the edge and tension in the song go? Tepid at best, particularly after the great job they did with Kate Bush:

Yes the video is blank. This is because the band's official video is AWFUL.
    You know, one of the best covers I've ever heard in my life was Laibach's version of Sympathy for the Devil. It's so dreadfully unique, they really put their own twist on it. Give it a listen to here.

Yes.... That's one word for it.... unique. Also, travesty, and err.. unwarranted ... shameful ... hmmm. Yes.
    deman wrote: »

My god is that really the same band that did "Daddy"? That's fcking depressing man.

My current favourite:

Nina Gordon goes for a walk in Compton.

And if this doesn't prove the OP's point of "Why was the original done so badly?" it's this:

Yes - the 80's was sh!t. Very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Within Temptation - 'Running Up That Hill'

Generic and awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Rush's cover of The Who's "The Seeker" on the R30 DVD is absolute covers gold.

As is Judas Priest's version of a Joan Baez (!) song - "Diamonds And Rust". Again though I prefer the live version on "Unleashed In The Studio East".

A lot of the covers Dream Theater have done have been excellent aswell - they actually managed to turn Iron Maiden's "Gangland" into a good song. Their version of Funeral For A Friend by Elton John is class aswell.

Much as i love Rush, they're immediately disqualified from this thread for the abortion they performed on Summertime Blues in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I wouldnt say better, but two mentionable covers are Korn doing One and Limp Bizkit doing sanatarium.

Dream Theater, alright, so their version of the Puppet's album isn't better than the original, but it's pretty damn close. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I'd go so far as to say her voice doesn't suit that song. Nice voice, but not really what that song needs.
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I really don't get the love for Lacuna Coil's version of Enjoy The Silence, it was good without being great.

To name a few.
    Pantera - Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
    Megadeth - No More Mr Nice Guy (Alice Cooper)
    Fields Of The Nephilim - In The Year 2525 (Zaeger & Evans)

VR!
    Dave147 wrote: »
    Please oh please take that back, Enjoy the Silence by DEPECHE MODE is the greatest song of all time, Lacuna Coil did a decent cover but it has nothing on the original.. Just listen to the way it opens by DM with good bass, it is the most beautiful sound in the world. Lacuna Coil did a passable song but no one will ever do a version like DM, it is the greatest.

I do agree about Sonata Arctica's covers, thanks for reminding of 'I want out' haven't heard that song in about 4 years. Their version of 'Die with your boots on' is absolutely fantastic too.

My nomination would go to Metallica - Turn the Page, originally sang by Bob Seger, their version is just absolutely astounding. Or Nightwish with 'Over the Hills and Far Away', a musical masterpiece. Where have you gone Tuomas!

Edit: Prefer Metallica's version of Fade to Black, their version just does it for me. Tony does a great job but sometimes you just can't beat the original. Besides, he's more than capable of performing his own songs, they're just as good. "The End of This Chapter"... WOW!

Can i just heartily endorse the above opinions.
    Dave147 your description reminds me of how much i adore the original.
    That intro is so beautifully bold and stark.
    Love the WTC video as well.
    The original is a masterpiece and the Lacuna Coil cover is poor by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jimmi08

I think Iron Maiden's version of the UFO track ''Doctor Doctor'' is way better than the original. The original is still handy enough, but Iron Maidens version kicks some serious ass!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

God this forum is just too metal....

Jeff Buckley's - Hallelujah
    GNR - Knockin on Heavens Door (not hard considering Dylan sucks)
    Gypsy Kings - Hotel California (not better but as good as)
    Rodrigo y Gabriella - Stairway to Heaven (again, not better but as good as imo)
    Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff
    Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Elvis Presley - Houndog
    Cream - Crossroads
    Softcell - Tainted Love
    The Clash - I Fought the Law
    Pet Shop Boys - Always on my Mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well it *IS* called the Rock and Metal forum... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well then post more Rock. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

(SC)The_Rock_Photo.jpg

(SC)The_Rock_Photo.jpg

:D:D:D

Back to the subject in hand....

Gary Moore - Wishing Well

I love Volbeat, great band, esp songs likes Sad Man's Tongue and Radio Girl but this is their version of an old classic....

Awful.

Unintentionally, it's extremely funny though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Patricide wrote: »
    I wouldnt say better, but two mentionable covers are Korn doing One and Limp Bizkit doing sanatarium.
    They'd fit in the much worse covers thread:pac:

hmm..dark angel's creeping death is decent and Chuck Billy & others doing holier than thou is defo better than original.I could go on and on about metallica covers but i wont.

few others would be pantera-hole in the sky,sepultura-orgasmatron,megadeth-paranoid,machine head-hallowed be thy name...judas priest-mr. crowley is good aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

System of a Down's Snowblind always did something special for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I think Placebo's cover of Kate Bush's Running up That Hill is marginally better than the original. Just by a little bit.

Very Sexah Song.

Advertisement