Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When the Covers are Just SO Much Better!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Thin Lizzy covers have been mentioned in this thread already but nobody has mentioned Lizzy's version on Whiskey in the Jar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I don't know if they're better than the original, but both Paramore and Funeral For a Friend do nice covers of U2's 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

probably mentioned but Chris Cornell's version of billie jean, savage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Misanthropy

Rage Against the Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man (Cypress Hill)

Anthrax - Sanitarium (Welcome Home) (Metallica)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Anthrax - Sanitarium (Welcome Home) (Metallica)

Much as i give Anthrax love, i still don't think that's a patch on Dream Theater's version :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Misanthropy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Much as i give Anthrax love, i still don't think that's a patch on Dream Theater's version :)

I just listened to it on youtube and I don't think Labrie does a good job at covering the vocals. He's still a great singer at DT songs though don't get me wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Great original song - but the cover is imo way better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Roddy23 wrote: »

Great original song - but the cover is imo way better!!

Thats damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 scumbag sqpants

my version of Sex on Fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paradise lost - How Soon is now
    Cannibal Corpse - Zero the Hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A German band called Atrocity did a cover of the Eurythmics classic "Here Comes The Rain Again". I don't think it beats the original but it's a great version in it's own right and well worth a listen

Atrocity - Here Comes The Rain Again

Just in case you don't remember or are too young to remember the original:
    Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I love their cover of Send Me an Angel.

I love their cover of Send Me an Angel.
    They actually did a couple of albums of 80's covers. Some are pretty poor but some are well worth a listen.

Werk 80 I features:
    1 Shout
    2 Rage Hard
    3 Wild Boys
    4 Great Commandment
    5 Send Me An Angel
    6 Tainted Love
    7 Mussolini
    8 Being Boiled
    9 Don't Go
    10 Let's Dance
    11 Maid Of Orleans

Werk 80 II features:
    1 People Are People
    2 Smalltown Boy
    3 Relax
    4 Don't You Forget About Me
    5 Sun Always Shines On Tv, The
    6 Hey Little Girl
    7 Fade To Grey
    8 Such A Shame
    9 Keine Heimat
    10 Here Comes The Rain Again
    11 Forever Young

Here's another 80's cover that I quite like, it's Mike Oldfield's classic "Moonlight Shadow" as done by German metallers Suidakra

Here's a cover that just about beats the original :). Presenting Sonic Syndicate doing a version of Tatu's "All About Us".

Original:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

for me jeff buckleys version of hallelujah is way better than cohens. heard buckleys first and was let down when i heard lc's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Carly Simons 'Nobody Does it Better' by Radiohead

Dolly Partons 'Jolene' by the White Stripes. I like Dollys version too though

The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down by The Band. Edit-oops, though it was a cover but isn't, it's been covered loads though. Still a great song so I'll leave it in :)

Snoops Gin & Juice bluegrass style by The Gourds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Excellent live version of Bowie/Eno's Heroes by Cologne rock legends BAP and friends in 1991:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Every cover Megadeth have done has been better than the original.

After what they did to Sabbath's Paranoid? Wash your fingers in acid and then come back! kthxbye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    After what they did to Sabbath's Paranoid? Wash your fingers in acid and then come back! kthxbye!

I think the Megadeth version of Paranoid was way better. It rocked much harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Smashing Pumpkins- Landslide

Its just an awesome version of a Fleetwood Mac song that I would never have liked if they hadnt done it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Sonata Artica - Wind beneath my wings.

Babs rocks hard, but these guys rock hardest!

Also the byrds - tamborine man
    and roxy music - jealous guy

I think the Megadeth version of Paranoid was way better. It rocked much harder.

Gotta disagree there, just because the distortion was heavier doesn't mean the song rocked harder.

That and the fact that certain songs just should be left well alone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Guns N' Roses cover of Hair Of The Dog

Guns N' Roses did a lot of covers, and still do so, but this is perhaps the best one because its not overplayed and its a song that you can imagine was written with the intention of being played live by the band that played it at the time they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Sorry but I can't agree with that. They made a right dogs dinner of Anarchy in the UK - unforgivable dross.

Guns N' Roses cover of Hair Of The Dog

Guns N' Roses did a lot of covers, and still do so, but this is perhaps the best one because its not overplayed and its a song that you can imagine was written with the intention of being played live by the band that played it at the time they did.

Oh i hate that Spaghetti Incident album, but being a New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders fan, i think Duff does a pretty good job of You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory though. Not better than the original by any stretch, but a worthy contender.

anti-venom wrote: »
    Sorry but I can't agree with that. They made a right dogs dinner of Anarchy in the UK - unforgivable dross.

I actually enjoyed their version of Anarchy, it was one of their better covers. Nowhere near the original but i don't think anyone could claim so. But some of their disasterpieces as far as covers go were No More Mr Nice Guy and if you wanna talk about a bad Sex Pistols cover, Problems was more of an abortion than Anarchy ever will be.

Advertisement