Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weils Disease - Tradgedy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Eh, I think it would be more accurate to say "Wear gloves when handling a trapped rat who might scratch you" than it would be to say that not wearing her gloves while gardening is what killed that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Yeah, I think the gloves are not a bad idea in general though. I know of someone that was playing golf and smoking a cigar during the round. His ball went in to the rough and he put his hand down to pick it up, unknow to him he got some rodent piss on his fingers and must have transferred it to his mouth when smoking. Tragically he died a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Again, that story was recently covered by the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday in their feature on 'bizzare ways to die'.

"A 40-year-old golfer was killed by a rat which ran up his trouser leg while he hunted for a lost ball at Caddockstown golf course in County Kildare, Ireland. Doctors believe that the deadly Weil's disease carried by the rat was passed from the victim's fingers to his mouth, when he touched his leg and then smoked a cigar."

The moral of this story: wash your hands when a rat pisses on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

"wash your hands when a rat pisses on you"

The story you have quoted is not the same as to one I am aware of.

In the one I am aware of a rat didn't piss on him. I think most people would have the senese to wash there hands in these circumstances. He put his hand in to some rough grass on a wet day to get a golf ball, a rat had previously pissed on the ground - he would have thought it was just rain water.

It's a very unlikely set of circumstances alright but just wanted to get the facts right.

Advertisement