Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth in a mess is it worth travelling for treatment?

• 15-09-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have been told by a local dentist that my teeth are a total mess, i.e I may need heaps of fillings and possibly some extractions etc, This will cost me an arm and a leg in this country and I do not have any dental cover here. I believe it is much cheaper to go abroad for dental work, ie Hungry, Romania etc, anyone tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

fill the rotten ones with isopon,and pull out the others with a vise grips and a bottle of whisky:D..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you are working and paying higher rate of tax, you can claim back 41% with a MED2 form.
    You should way up the cost of total treatment in Ireland minus MED2 vs treatment in another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure there must be something in Dental Issues
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=627
    Some people seem to go North for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI, might get more help here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ongarite wrote: »
    If you are working and paying higher rate of tax, you can claim back 41% with a MED2 form.
    You should way up the cost of total treatment in Ireland minus MED2 vs treatment in another country.

AFAIK you can only claim MED2 on non routine expenses, i.e. fillings, extractions and scalings are not covered.

From http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/healthexpenses.htm
    Qualifying Dental Treatment
    The legislation specifically excludes relief for expenditure incurred on the extraction, scaling and filling of teeth and the provision and repairing of artificial teeth or dentures. These items are excluded from relief even if there is an underlying medical condition giving rise to the dental treatment, or if the treatment in a particular case is considered to be of a non-routine nature.

Treatment for which relief is claimed will be considered in the light of the above exclusion i.e. relief for the cost of any work carried out will not be allowed where the treatment is the extraction, scaling or filling of teeth etc. If, however, the treatment is, for example, of an orthodontic nature, involving the extraction of a tooth as part of that treatment, relief would be allowed for the cost of the orthodontic treatment excluding the cost of the extraction. An exception to this rule is the cost, of the surgical extraction of impacted wisdom teeth which is allowable.

The surgical removal of impacted teeth carried out either in a hospital or in a dental surgery is not regarded as 'routine dental treatment' and relief is therefore allowed for the cost of such surgical removals.

Note: An impacted tooth is one which is so firmly lodged in its socket that it cannot emerge through the gum in the normal way. The impaction may be caused by an overlying bone, or because the tooth has grown in such a way that it has become wedged in against another tooth.

Claims for Non-Routine Dental Treatment
    An individual claiming relief for non-routine dental treatment must obtain form Med 2 - Dental Expenses - Certificate by Dental Practitioner (PDF 107KB) completed and signed by their dental practitioner. This form should not be submitted with the claim. The individual should retain the form for a period of six years as the claim may be selected for verification at a later point. The possession of this certificate does not guarantee the availability of tax relief for the costs of all or any of the treatment shown.

Dental treatments for which tax relief is allowable:
    Crowns: These are restorations fabricated outside the mouth and are permanently cemented to existing tooth tissue.
    Veneers/Rembrant Type Etched Fillings: These are a form of crown.
    Tip Replacing: This is regarded as a crown where a large part of the tooth needs to be replaced and the replacement is made outside the mouth.
    Gold Posts: These are inserts in the nerve canal of a tooth, to hold a crown.
    Gold Inlays: These are a smaller version of a gold crown. (Only allowable if fabricated outside of the mouth).
    Endodontics - Root Canal Treatment: This involves the filling of the nerve canal and not the filling of teeth.
    Periodontal Treatment: Root Planning is a treatment of periodontal (gum) disease. Currettage and Debridement is part of root planning. Gum Flaps is a gum treatment. Chrome Cobalt Splint if used in connection with periodontal treatment. (If it contains teeth, relief is not allowable).
    Orthodontic Treatment: This involves the provision of braces and similar treatments.
    Surgical Extraction of Impacted Wisdom Teeth: When undertaken in a hospital or a dental surgery, relief is allowable.
    Bridgework: Dental Treatment consisting of an enamel-retained bridge or a tooth-supported bridge is allowable.
    Note: Tax relief is not available for the cost of scaling, extraction and filling of teeth or the provision of artificial teeth or dentures.

Personally I'd be slow to travel abroad for a lot of dental work, as I'd be worried getting follow up treatment if I needed it in a limited timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skygirl

I have been told by a local dentist that my teeth are a total mess, i.e I may need heaps of fillings and possibly some extractions etc, This will cost me an arm and a leg in this country and I do not have any dental cover here. I believe it is much cheaper to go abroad for dental work, ie Hungry, Romania etc, anyone tried it?

OK take some time off yr present Job, get a Job in a callcentre up in Northern Ireland working 30hrs per week, step 2, once you got the Job apply for Tax Credit thats available to anyone working on UK Min Wage, and register with a Doctoer to get an NHS number, once you have applied go to a NHS Dentist request NHS treatment and Declare you are claiming Tax credit and all your treatment will be free, you do not have to pay zilch!!! you do not even need a NI address, just so long as you have a Job there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

This deduction is allowable for treatment received worldwide so this point is moot. You will get back 20% or 41% of any amount over an initial E125. The procedures are listed at the bottom of this form:

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/med2.pdf

I got some work done in Bangkok earlier this year and the savings I made more than paid for my holiday. The clinic was more modern and hygienic than any I'd ever been in in Ireland and the staff were qualified from American universities. It's almost 9 months now and I've had no problems and my teeth and new fillings look better than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rebeccag1

Hi Latenia, I am writing to you from The Afternoon Show in RTE. We are doing an item on Dentistry North Vs South next week. I am looking for someone to come on the show to have a quick chat about their experience of dental treatment up north and we will also be carrying out price comparisons and advice. If you are interested in talking to me you could contact me on rebeccagaynor@greeninc.ie.
    Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks,
    Rebecca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

She said she had dental work done in Bangkok. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but Bangkok is not in Northern Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

rebeccag1 wrote: »
    Hi Latenia, I am writing to you from The Afternoon Show in RTE. We are doing an item on Dentistry North Vs South next week. I am looking for someone to come on the show to have a quick chat about their experience of dental treatment up north and we will also be carrying out price comparisons and advice.

When is this show being aired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Keep in mind that if you earn less and are on lower tax band, you only get about 20% back through tax relief.

Also keep in mind that if you go for treatment in an EU member state (Hungary, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, ...) you are still eligible to get tax relief on this - the foreign dentist will have to issue you with a MED2 form for this. Companies offering "travel dentistry" out of Ireland know this and will assist in getting it sorted for you.

Advertisement