Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

curtains to heavy for walls

Options
  • 15-09-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Have just moved into a new house where the walls are insulated on the inside also, starting from the exterior there is plaster,block,insulation,block,insulation with plasterboard attached.

my problem is that i have been told that the plasterboard/insulation wont hold the weight of curtains/curtain pole.

What can i do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

One solution is to fix say a 2 by 1 strip of timber all the way across where the curtain rail will be using these
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm

If u put them say every 8 inches should be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

use anchor bolts to hold them to the block rather than the plaster board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

One method :

use this type of fixing :

http://www.fwb.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/FWBGroup/435MZH/63640

Replace the bolts with ones that are long enough to pass through the plasterboard and insulation and the fixing.Get some washers that fit the bolts too.

Next find some steel tube that the bolts will just slip inside.(B&Q have short lengths)

Drill holes for the bolts

Measure how far it is from the inside face of the block to the face of the plasterboard ( poke a pencil etc down the hole).

Cut the tube to the length you just measured less 2 X thickness of the washers .

Remove the original bolt from the fixing and re-assemble in this order with new bolt:

Fixing --washer ----bolt ( with tube slipped over it) ----washer--bracket--|
                      |
    ######|==========||-|
                      |

Reason for minor extra effort :

If you don't use the tubes , the bolts will just pull the plasterboard harder into the wall and not tighten up properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

On insulated walls you could use "frame fixers". these are heavy duty screws with wral plugs. You could use 75mm x 8mm frame fixers, just buy yourself an 8mm masonary drill bit about 150mm long..
    they go straight through to the concrete block and hang from that..

I've used these for curtain rails, shelves, radiators... all on insulated walls...
    Never any problems...

Local hardware store will stock them, cheap as chips...

Cheers
    bam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

proper platerboard fixings will hold curtain pole no problem - have them up all over my house.

these are probably the best to use:
    http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Thanks all, will let ye know how i get on.

Advertisement