Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice

Options
  • 15-09-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

My girlfriend is fed up working in a bank and wants to change jobs. The only problem is she's not 100% on what she wants to do or what options are open to her. Is there anywhere in Dublin that provides career advice, that might be able to guide her into an alternative career path.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would a session with a life coach be of any help to her?

Visiting a Fas Advisor might be a good idea.
    They have a cool website....www.careerdirections.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

nouggatti wrote: »
    Would a session with a life coach be of any help to her?

Eh we have those in Ireland? I thought they were only an american thing.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Visiting a Fas Advisor might be a good idea.
    They have a cool website....www.careerdirections.ie

Hmnnn I didn't know Fas had advisors. I might see if I can get her to pop in there.

From talking to her just now, and from her mentioning it in the past she seems somewhat keen on teaching english. She's from poland and has a very high standard of spoken english. She seems to be under the impression that something like Tefl is only for native speakers, I don't think this is the case. Am I wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eh we have those in Ireland? I thought they were only an american thing.

We do :)

I can't recommend one, if you do a google search you'll get plenty of details.

Hmnnn I didn't know Fas had advisors. I might see if I can get her to pop in there.

From talking to her just now, and from her mentioning it in the past she seems somewhat keen on teaching english. She's from poland and has a very high standard of spoken english. She seems to be under the impression that something like Tefl is only for native speakers, I don't think this is the case. Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong, I've recently done a course with my local Adult Literacy Agency to teach English and they have a wide range of different courses that they offer, both Adult Literacy and English as a Foreign Language, and expect that one has a good standard of English, nothing more.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

nouggatti,

do you have details on signing up with the adult literacy agency to teach?

Thanks

• Advertisement

JG1 wrote: »
    nouggatti,

do you have details on signing up with the adult literacy agency to teach?

Thanks

If you contact your local adult literacy group (usually within your local VEC., or check out www.nala.ie for details, or google Adult literacy and the county you live in :) ) then they will take your name, and once they have enough people to run a course, they will contact you.

the course I did was three Saturdays and three Wednesdays with some homework and an essay to be done.

HTH and good luck :)

Advertisement