Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI Booster

Options
  • 15-09-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a wifi connection via router in the garage (as it is via fastcom antenna so line of sight from garage roof). The connection into the house is very poor so I was sold a wirless n kit from PC World. This only slightly improves the signal but not getting nowhere near the connection I can get from the garage. What is my best option?

Would it make a difference to put the router in the garage in the attic and do the same in the house with a wifi access point?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times before I have been reading the forum but not getting too far (dont want to buy something else I don’t need)

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Homeplug/Powerline stuff sends the data over the mains wiring . Often works better in something like your setup

http://www.netgear.com/Solutions/HomeNetworking/PowerlineNetworking.aspx

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=357093

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was looking at another thread with that as an option but the garage is on its own fuseboard although the power afaik comes from the house. I wonder can it still be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Those Network over lines stuff have be on the same circuit so they wont work - Tried a wireless AP Repeater?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

To be honest have seen these (powerline adaptors) work in many a situation where they say they shouldn't. Your garage is on the same ring main as your house which is the important thing so I'd be more than surprised that it didn't work.

Can always bring it back saying it not working for you....

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

To be honest have seen these (powerline adaptors) work in many a situation where they say they shouldn't. Your garage is on the same ring main as your house which is the important thing so I'd be more than surprised that it didn't work.

Can always bring it back saying it not working for you....

MC

The garage has its own circut board but it is also on a trip switch in the houses circut board so I wonder would that mean its on the same circut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes that means it is getting its power form the house -> is on the mains circuit of the house so powerline "should" work for you.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Yes that means it is getting its power form the house -> is on the mains circuit of the house so powerline "should" work for you.

MC

You have a couple of options from my point of view!

1. Ya ethernet over power should work in theory as MC said - But I would borrow one first to play with to test it out then spend the money as you need to buy a good set - cheaper brands are failing after a while.

2. Buy a AP with WDS repeater function and just make it boast your signal

3. the cheapest way is If your garage is attached to the house why not run a length of CAT5E cable to your main attic/a room and place your wireless router there!?

Advertisement