Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another roundabout lane question - non-standard markings

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

You know how for a regular roundabout, with two lanes , you enter on the left-hand lane if taking first or second exit and right hand lane if taking an exit that is after 12 o'clock.

However, some roundabouts have non-standard markings on the approach roads (for example, a big one near Dundrum shopping centre in Dublin) the approach road has two lanes, the left-hand one is marked left-hand only and the right-hand lane is marked with the straight-on and right arrows. If you want to go straight through, i.e. take the second exit, should you then follow the road markings and enter the roundabout in the righthand lane, and switch to the lefthand lane when you pass the first turn? Or should you just use the righthand lane on the approach road and move immediately to the outside lane to go around the roundabout (as you normally would).

Sorry if that's not making any sense, let me know if I can clarify it. And, just to appease my logical mind, has anyone any ideas why they would change the markings in this way; I can't see any advantage to it at all?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Is there two lanes at the exit if there is then you can turn off the roundabout from the right lane.

As for the markings, I would strongly suggest that you follow them. Alot of roundabouts have similar markings and by deciding to follow your own rules it can lead to confusion with other other and an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes, you must follow the markings on the roundabout even if they are not "standard", so in that case you would go into the lane marked with the straight and right arrows and move into the left hand lane once on the roundabout, then completing your manoeuvre by leaving the 2nd exit of the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Follow the markings.

Is it a uniquely Irish thing not to have said markings until you are so close to the junction it is often too late to get in the correct lane?

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    Is there two lanes at the exit if there is then you can turn off the roundabout from the right lane.

As for the markings, I would strongly suggest that you follow them. Alot of roundabouts have similar markings and by deciding to follow your own rules it can lead to confusion with other other and an accident.

The law states that road marking approaching a roundabout override the standard rules, it's not an issue that can be "strongly suggested" it's the law and failing to follow these rules can result in serious accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 corkconian

fiona-f wrote: »
    Hi,

You know how for a regular roundabout, with two lanes , you enter on the left-hand lane if taking first or second exit and right hand lane if taking an exit that is after 12 o'clock.

However, some roundabouts have non-standard markings on the approach roads (for example, a big one near Dundrum shopping centre in Dublin) the approach road has two lanes, the left-hand one is marked left-hand only and the right-hand lane is marked with the straight-on and right arrows. If you want to go straight through, i.e. take the second exit, should you then follow the road markings and enter the roundabout in the righthand lane, and switch to the lefthand lane when you pass the first turn? Or should you just use the righthand lane on the approach road and move immediately to the outside lane to go around the roundabout (as you normally would).

Sorry if that's not making any sense, let me know if I can clarify it. And, just to appease my logical mind, has anyone any ideas why they would change the markings in this way; I can't see any advantage to it at all?

Thanks.
    We have the same situation on the N20 at Mallow. In fact Garda have pulled motorists who stay on the left lane which is for town centre if they are going on to Cork,even though technically they are taking up the correct position. The reasoning apparently is to move on traffic and prevent two lanes blocking instead of one .. if that make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

corkconian wrote: »
    even though technically they are taking up the correct position
    They are not technically in the correct position if the road marking indicate otherwise.

One must obey the markings on a roundabout. If there are no markings, the standard rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks for the answers. I know that the road markings take precedence over the normal roundabout rules, but it is a bit confusing because (a) the marking is only literally just when you arrive at the yield line for entering the roundabout, and so unless you are familiar with the road you can easily find yourself in the wrong lane with very little time to correct it and (b) only two of the four approach roads have this marking, the other two don't have any indications so I guess normal rules apply there!

The question I'm still not sure about is, if I'm taking the second exit, do I only move over to the left hand lane AFTER I have passed the first exit or do I do so straight away (once I'm on the actual roundabout and no longer on the approach road)? Added confusion caused by the fact that not all the approach roads have this special lane marking so if I am entering at 6 o'clock road, a driver entering at the same moment at the 3 o'clock road (which has no markings, so presumably the normal rules apply) may assume that I am not going to take either my first or second exit and act accordingly. So once I'm on the roundabout, when do I best move into the left-hand lane, particularly in order not to confusion about my intentions for drivers that are coming from the other approach roads that don't have the non-standard markings?

Again, sorry if that makes no sense whatsoever! Happy to try to clarify if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fiona-f wrote: »
    if I'm taking the second exit, do I only move over to the left hand lane AFTER I have passed the first exit or do I do so straight away (once I'm on the actual roundabout and no longer on the approach road)?
    If the roundabout has a dedicated 'left only' (first exit) lane it usually has a three lane approach. It you are taking the second exit, you approach and enter in the centre lane. This lane usually leads automatically onto the left lane on the roundabout itself (as the dedicated left lane will have extinguished).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

At least there is markings on the roundabout.. up here in the wild northwest I think they drop roundabouts from a plane and see where they land.. markings? 3rd exits? they would be nice ! Heres an example....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055369160:confused:

Advertisement