Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Learning final year project

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Need to get a proposal in for my final year project and Ive decided to do something to do with E-Learning.

Im brutal with code of any sort, so Im looking to make it mainly web based and simple as possible interface wise.

Research and ideas is where Im gonna bulk things up.

Have any of yous done something similar before or does anyone have any ideas as to what I could incorporate?

Id love any ideas from anyone at all. It would be very greatly appreciated. It would honest to god be a huge help to hear anything you have to say at all...

Thank you everyone:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp & Tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Been a while since I´ve done anything in this field but the last time I looked there were a huge amount of standards in this area. Maybe check out the details of SCORM, AICC and see what would be best to incorporate? With the current proliferation of mobile devices you could also look into turning these into eLearning platforms using some of the newly arrived technology from Adobe or Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Need to get a proposal in for my final year project and Ive decided to do something to do with E-Learning....

What course is this for? What are you being graded on?
    Research and ideas is where Im gonna bulk things up.

Not being smart here, but you've done no research and you've no ideas. I think you need to think this through a bit more.

Everyone seems to think eLearning is something new but around for years and its been done every which way, including on the iPhone and even second life! Video, Flash, what hasn't been done?

Why not contact a few elearning companies and see if theres anything they'd like researched. Or perhaps look at your own course and see what material could have been enhanced by delivery through elearning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

a friend did the same for her 4th year project.

Best advise i can give is do some research.

have a look at solutions like Moodle :http://moodle.org/

do you know the structure of e-learning systems? and how to code DDA?

We covered e-learning system design & implementation in detail in my final year last year, if you've any questions or anything your not sure about pm me and I should be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I used to be a snr PM at a major e-learning company and I am currently involved in a major training project that is delivered through webcasting and e-learning so i have a bit of previous in the area.

You need to put a bit more thought into this, I think. As mentioned above technology based training has been around for decades and e-learning has been the next big thing for at least 15 years, if not more. Because of that most clever angles have already been looked at. Not being negative about the idea - it's as good as any other! - but think about which area of e-learning you are interested in.

One potential area could be in LMS' - Learner Management Systems - that incorporate results, schedules, profiles, etc from both TBT, webcasts and traditional training. It's a little bit more niche and you could do a web delivered solution that wouldn't require much of a snazzy interface. Maybe you could braoden it out beyond the scope of the traditional LMS environment (which is corporate / academic) and look at a recreational market. Sports clubs for example might want to track member and instructors training so an interface allowing them to build skills matrices, upload profiles, identify skills gaps, group common learners together, identify critical gaps, etc all in a very simple way might make a useful project.

Any questions or ideas you have bounce them up, I'm sure we can answer them for you!

[edit] This could be quite tricky actually as there is a lot of assumed training knowledge built into e-learning and LMS'. You might have to learn a lot of theory about training management (skills matrices, Learner Needs Analysis, Competancy Gaps) or learning theory to do this project in any way well. It might be a lot more complex than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have to say I never liked moodle. Its like something from the 70's!

Advertisement