Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which driveway surface finish to use?

• 15-09-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

not sure where to put this so move if ness.

having recently built our story and a half house in the country we are now at a lossas to what to do the drive in.

currently its that rough stone thats been compacted down temporarially but we now want to get somthing perminant.

OH wants to get tarmac and has been quoted quite a good price but im just wondering what are the other options, and price ranges.

my ideal would be macrete (imprinted comcrete) but for the area we are talking about it would be hugely expensive. anyone has any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

There should not be a massive difference bewteen the tarmac and the macrte so I would be wary of the pricing for both: get second quotes.
    IMO neither look well in a rural setting and I would go for a decorative gravel finish: dead easy to do once the existing hard core settles well.
    Just get a light layer of matching blinding first and an inch or so of the gravel will do grand.

ps what finish is the house and boundary walls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Oh has said that macrete is by far more expensive, i agree that tarmac dosnt look great in a rural setting and definately not in a longish driveway like ours. the house is story and a half cottage style with render wall and red brick coinstones. there is kerbing done aroung the verges and this in in a redish cobbleblock (not really sure what its called)

gravel is not really an option for us althought the look of it is lovely it is just not condusive to children and bikes/buggies etc. also there is a square at the side of the house leading to the garage that will eventually be blocked off with walls, this will need a harder surface as oh drives work vans and trailers etc. problem is you could do it in two finishes but if gates (eventually) were open it would look kind of bity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

How bout cement alone? Many the farmer has a pure cement driveway :)

How bout cement alone? Many the farmer has a pure cement driveway :)

:P cheek! would of done it long ago but cant stand the dang hoof prints:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

if the site is level - why not gravel it ? cut down on surface water run off

Hey Goneshootin - we don't want a "Highway to Hell" . Don't want to turn it into "Sin City" or get "Shot down in Flames" or get stuck with "Down Payment blues" ..... I love ACDC too !

• Advertisement

gravel is not really an option for us althought the look of it is lovely it is just not condusive to children and bikes/buggies etc. also there is a square at the side of the house leading to the garage that will eventually be blocked off with walls, this will need a harder surface as oh drives work vans and trailers etc. problem is you could do it in two finishes but if gates (eventually) were open it would look kind of bity.

as above?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

Tarmac rates will vary, but for 50mm stone blinding and 60mm tarmac expect to pay anwhere from €20 to €25/m2.

Printed concrete, far more attractive.....but at a cost.......expect to pay anything from €65/m2 to €90/m2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

What about tar and chip?

with grey chippings it can look better than tarmac. kinda harsh surface if kids come off said bikes though.

I'm thinking about using tar-n-chips as well, any idea about costs m2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Report in today's Indo that the Environment minister is planning on restricting hard paving in developments in an attempt to aleviate flooding (I guess its because concrete and the like doesn't absorb moisture). This could be used by zealous councils to ban cobble lock, concrete and tar etc on driveways where the run off might contribute to flooded roads and paths.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Report in today's Indo that the Environment minister is planning on restricting hard paving in developments in an attempt to aleviate flooding (I guess its because concrete and the like doesn't absorb moisture). This could be used by zealous councils to ban cobble lock, concrete and tar etc on driveways where the run off might contribute to flooded roads and paths.

cobble lock can be designed to be permeable...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/flood-law-to-ban-garden-paving-1480411.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Glulam

I'm thinking about using tar-n-chips as well, any idea about costs m2 ?

Is this the same thing as tar dust???

I've seen this stuff installed and its every bit as durable as tarmac. However it does need to be steam rolled in to get the stuff compacted properly.
    I have a massive driveway to do so I would definitely be interested in the cost and availability of this tar-n-chap

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

heard on the last word the other night that the greens are planning on bringing in legislation so that concreting/tarring over of areas will require planning permission. it's at the public discussion stage at the moment so not finalised. this could impact on what people can use in their driveways

would this cover rural areas or just city developments? any links to this tar and chip surface? ive not ever seen it i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Tar and chip is what's used on Irish roads all the time. They'd usually use a finer chip on private jobs. Looks o.k. but need to be swept of excess chippings when it's well rolled in. I'd go for washed gravel. Looks the part in the country and makes that lovely crackling sound when you drive on it. Cheaper too. Just rake it back even every now and then and get a big bag to refresh it every few years. :) Not ideal for kids, but you can't have it every way.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

We used washed gravel and it looks great. Once put down correctly, there should only be one inch of gravel which will compact quite quickley, there is no problem re kids. Our son (4) has no problem on the surface in his toy tractor and bike. Another friend of mine put down too much on his drive and tyres etc just dig into the gravel and so not good for kids.
    The trick is to make sure the subsurface is left for a period of time to setttle before putting the gravel down. By the sound of things though you have that done already and all you will need to do is give it a quick level, and roll. IMO if done correctly, not a problem for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

keving wrote: »
    We used washed gravel and it looks great. Once put down correctly, there should only be one inch of gravel which will compact quite quickley, there is no problem re kids. Our son (4) has no problem on the surface in his toy tractor and bike. Another friend of mine put down too much on his drive and tyres etc just dig into the gravel and so not good for kids.
    The trick is to make sure the subsurface is left for a period of time to setttle before putting the gravel down. By the sound of things though you have that done already and all you will need to do is give it a quick level, and roll. IMO if done correctly, not a problem for kids.

Any chance of a photo? where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

No problem, camera actually broke a few weeks ago but in process of geting another :D Will post picture when done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Hi all just came across this thread , <SNIP> i may be able to help .

Decorative gravel ranges from €80 per ton up , ton will cover 8m2

Tarmac supply and lay 50mm of wearing course € 12.50 m2 will cover 9m2 approx

Stone mastic asphalt which is permeable and hard wearing €15 m2 for 50mm

Concrete you more than likely will have to excavate, to lay a minimum of
    120mm , so it will cost you about €50 m2 and going up every month.

Brick paving from €60 m2 up depending on type .

<SNIP> these are guideline prices as every area depending on transportation and quarry costs etc are different.

<SNIP> .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

macadam wrote: »
    Hi all just came across this thread , <SNIP> i may be able to help .

Concrete you more than likely will have to excavate, to lay a minimum of
    120mm , so it will cost you about €50 m2 and going up every month.

Brick paving from €60 m2 up depending on type .

<SNIP> these are guideline prices as every area depending on transportation and quarry costs etc are different.

<SNIP> .
    Please have a read at the forum charter and this extract in particular.
    The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services.

You are more than welcome to contribute to the community here but only if your posts conform to the charter.

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    Hi all just came across this thread , i may be able to help .

Is stone mastic asphalt the same as "tar & chip" the stuff used on rural roads? if not what is the approximate cost of "tar & chip". I would be looking at doing a driveway of some 500m2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Is stone mastic asphalt the same as "tar & chip" the stuff used on rural roads? if not what is the approximate cost of "tar & chip". I would be looking at doing a driveway of some 500m2.[/quo

Dolanbaker,

No SMA is a macadam based material with a Paper fibre that soaks 60% more bitumen and is workable at about 120degrees , where as tar and chips is liquid bitumen sprayed on and 6mm chips spread over its what you see the council doing to the back roads , it has alife span of about 3yrs and cost (as i dont do tar and chips and i am not advertising my services)
    €5.50+ per m2 for 1 coat . if you have any overhanging trees on your drive they will create a pot hole with rain drops in about 4 months.

Happy to help anyone

Advertisement