Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving form sydney to melbourne to portland and back again

Options
  • 15-09-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey,
    I'm making my first trip to OZ in a couple months and I intend to hire a car and drive from sydney to melbourne and then up to portland on the great ocean road and back again to sydney. I've given myself 8 days for the full journey. I have no idea on roads, timings, places to stay etc etc so I'm guessing at the moment. I'll probably stay in a b&b in melbourne and then camp/hostel/b&b up to portland.

Would 8 days suffice to see plenty of stuff and get a taste for the place? I'd love to do it on a motorbike but have to settle for a car :o

thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

8 days would be enough to drive that journey but not if you wanted to make any stops and spend time. If you only have 8 days i advise just driving back to Melbourne on the return leg and flying to Sydney. For the sake of a couple hundred bucks airfare you will get much better value for your 8 days.

Also if i were you i would only go as far do the Great Ocean Road as Port Campbell. Than you can go inland and make it back to Avalon Airport south of Melbourne in about 5 hours.

Its an awesome trip, but you really need to free up as many hours as possible to get the most out of it.
    Are you doing it alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 invisiblewill

pucan wrote: »
    8 days would be enough to drive that journey but not if you wanted to make any stops and spend time. If you only have 8 days i advise just driving back to Melbourne on the return leg and flying to Sydney. For the sake of a couple hundred bucks airfare you will get much better value for your 8 days.

Also if i were you i would only go as far do the Great Ocean Road as Port Campbell. Than you can go inland and make it back to Avalon Airport south of Melbourne in about 5 hours.

Its an awesome trip, but you really need to free up as many hours as possible to get the most out of it.
    Are you doing it alone?

Well I'd prefer not to fly, I'm there for 3weeks but I'll have 8 days (maybe more) by myself so I'd like to see some sites. I dont mind driving like a madman to melbourne and taking my time along the great ocean road. Port Campbell seems closer so I can settle for that. I will be doing it alone so I don't know if its a good or a bad thing. I've never done a trip like this before!
    Any tips on campsites/b&bs etc? I assume they're plentiful.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

I'm recommending flying on the way back only rather than waste over a day driving the same route twice. As in, drive down the coast from sydney to melbourne, out the great ocean road, back to melbourne inland, than fly to sydney. There's bugger all to see on the inland road from melbourne to sydney.

Anway, things to see:

NSW:
    Jervis bay - whale watching among other things
    Batemans Bay
    Eden
    Lakes Entrance

Vic:
    Phillip Island, Penguin Parade.
    Swim with Dolphins in Queenscliff
    There's tons of beautiful beaches to stop off at for a swim on the great ocean road.
    Bell's Beach if you're a surfer
    12 apostles between princetown and Port campbell.

If you are travelling on your own you should stick to hostels in the towns, if you want to meet other people that is?

Advertisement