Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham: Just what is happening to them?!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On a general note, I don't think the lack of PL experience is a bar to paying the asking price...would you say no to Buffon for that price? Casillas? I'm not comparing him to them in any way, just examples.

I think he ment EPL, European League Experience, could be wrong thou.

Still not a reason not to sign a player thou, Torres would not have gone to Liverpool or Tevez to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs probably broke about even, did they?

If the bid from Sunderland for Tainio/Malbranque/Chimbonda/Kaboul was £23m and assuming that we got that between the moves to Sunderland and Pompey then the club made a profit of £10m this Summer.
    boggles wrote:

I'm pretty certain you are, unless I imagined Gomes' four Dutch league titles and CL campaigns (including a run to the SFs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »

Still not a reason not to sign a player thou, Torres would not have gone to Liverpool or Tevez to United.

Tevez played for West Ham. Turned out to be a bit of a big story to, surprised you missed it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tauren wrote: »
    Tevez played for West Ham. Turned out to be a bit of a big story to, surprised you missed it.:D

I know I was refering to th EPL not PL, I'm confused what do these letters mean? Stop using abbreviations FFS!! :D

EDIT: English Premier League. Got it! ;) Ignore my mad ravings please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

On a general note, I don't think the lack of PL experience is a bar to paying the asking price...would you say no to Buffon for that price? Casillas? I'm not comparing him to them in any way, just examples.

Yeah but Buffon and Casillas are playing in leagues that are far more comparable to the EPL, and have proven their class and experience for years now.

I just think that £8 million is a steep price to be paying for a goalkeeper from the Dutch league. Shay Given is believed to been valued at £9 million by Wise and Swiss Tony, so I think that puts in perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villa were one of the biggest NET spenders, ie they sold pretty much no one.

Spurs probably broke about even, did they?

spurs made money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Helix wrote: »
    spurs made money

And to them, that's VERY important :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boggles wrote: »
    Ignore my mad ravings please.

Don't worry, been doing that for months ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Yeah but Buffon and Casillas are playing in leagues that are far more comparable to the EPL, and have proven their class and experience for years now.

So had Shevchenko.

Craig Gordon cost £9m and he played in a league about the same standard as the Dutch (only he'd not featured in the latter stages of the CL)

Petr Cech cost Chelsea £7m and was signed as an understudy to Cudicini.

It's all a bit meh tbh, the one position I would place little or no emphasis on PL experience (or similar) is in goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

a good keeper is a good keeper. doesnt matter what league you play in coz the style of play doesnt affect the job a keeper has to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

have to say i agree with recklessone, having PL experience is of little to no relevence when it comes to goalkeepers.

however, this new lad doesnt look too decent from wat i've seen, only saw him in the CL a few times previous, including games against Liverpool, and he never really stood out.

the comparrison with Gordon aint too fair either though Recklessone, Gordon is British, which rightly or wrongly increases the price, and is also a couple of years younger.

So had Shevchenko.

Craig Gordon cost £9m and he played in a league about the same standard as the Dutch (only he'd not featured in the latter stages of the CL)

Petr Cech cost Chelsea £7m and was signed as an understudy to Cudicini.

It's all a bit meh tbh, the one position I would place little or no emphasis on PL experience (or similar) is in goals.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

Last season Tottenham let in 60 goals in the EPL and scored 66. So what do they do, get rid of the attackers and keep most of there defense. I know some of the players may have wanted to leave but Ramos should have recognised their frailty was in defense and not in attack. Is Corluka (who I've never rated too highly) the only defender they bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I honestly think Spurs are one player away from being close to the top 6.

They need a enforcer who will sit in front of the back four. It would steady up the defence and still give 5 players the opportunity to go forward and not be as afraid to try them risky passes.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I honestly think Spurs are one player away from being close to the top 6.

They need a enforcer who will sit in front of the back four. It would steady up the defence and still give 5 players the opportunity to go forward and not be as afraid to try them risky passes.

The also need another striker if Bent and Pav can't play together. Another quality CB is needed, as they are forever being let down by King's fitness.

Also, one of these 3 new players really needs to be a leader and motivator, as they are really lacking any sort of leadership on the field.

Also, one of these 3 new players really needs to be a leader and motivator, as they are really lacking any sort of leadership on the field.

That would be the defensive midfielder. It's just very hard to find one. Where's Makelele actually? He retire?

SantryRed wrote: »
    That would be the defensive midfielder. It's just very hard to find one. Where's Makelele actually? He retire?

PSG.

With Pompey's finances (or lack thereof), and Spurs wonga, I would imagine that Diarra could be snapped up.

Doesn't talk enough though.

Makelele would of been worth a punt in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

PAV is just a commie Kevin doyle...just a commie kevin doyle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pav is also out for three weeks.

Where are Spurs' goals going to come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Time to put your faith in Campbell I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Or they will offer 60mil for Berbatov now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Couldnt help laughing at this post from RedCafe..... :D

Spurs finally win a game...

spurswin.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

think Spurs should move for Cana from Marseille for midfield. Quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

well it can be taken as either as a compliment or an 'insult'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Spurs got overconfident.

No club can have the level of player turnover that Spurs have and expect to compete.

How long is it since spurs had a starting frontline that played the majority of consecutive seasons together? When they get two players who work together, they sell them both.

And they wonder why they aren't scoring goals. Relegation will maybe get rid of the people who are making crazy decisions at the club and do them some good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

eagle eye wrote: »
    Eh its four games into the season. They have one point, United have four points and are 14 on goal difference, 18th has 4 points as well. I don't hear anyone getting too worried about them.

This is a silly thread, far too early in the season, this is rubbish.

Had to smile at this post tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Alan! Time to come home! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement