Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog vs. Cat

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

My 8 month old terrier is chasing my neighbour's cat and pinning her down by her neck.
    This cat is 13-14 years old and isn't putting up much of a fight but I'd be worried that he'll kill her.
    She does allow me to hold her and I've tried to get him to be nice to her and it works to a degree but the second I turn my backhe's chasing her down the garden and would normally catch her.

Does anyone know of anything I could do? My parents are getting worried about the poor cat as we feed her and like her a lot.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

My dogs do the same to my cat. . . . they play a bit rough though.Consistent discipline is the only option i can see here:confused:
    So far,nothing has happened to my cat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Watch out,
    You might start getting vets bill from the nieghbour!
    Sadly terriors do those things so you cant do much about it
    Poor cat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

ricky91t wrote: »
    Watch out,
    You might start getting vets bill from the nieghbour!
    Sadly terriors do those things so you cant do much about it
    Poor cat :(

Aye I feel awful about it and I've tried to teach my dog but his prey drive is just to strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Does the cat make noise? If the dog is very young, it could be play - and the best way to identify that is whether or not the cat is howling. Silent cat = play. Yowling cat = not play. Either way, tell your dog "NO!! LEAVE IT!!", and then turn the garden hose on him IMHO. (The hose because it's the only way you can really admonish him at a distance, when his blood is up and he's excited - and it won't hurt him but it's unpleasant for him and will make him drop kitty.) Once he starts letting go of the cat at just the sound of your voice and the THREAT of the hose, then don't squirt him, just call him back to you and praise him hugely.

(I live with a nine year old, food aggressive, selectively deaf, snappy, history-of-biting, sly, bolshie jack russell terrier cross. He isn't my dog. He and I underwent some relationship adjustment via the garden hose, because he just did not give a monkeys what I said or did, and he has already killed a neighbours kitten - on their property, with their kids watching - and tried for one of the chickens. These days, the chickens free range around the garden and he just watches them, but every so often the hose, or threat of it, has to come back into play - usually when he snarls at me because he's decided to test the 'who is top dog' boundaries again.)

Advertisement