Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Fan belt for Rover 45

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:07pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All!

I need to do something with the fan belt on my 45 (I think it needs replaced, but somebody mentioned it might need adjusted??). It's making the tell-tale whining sound and tis getting worse. I was just wondering does anyone know how much this would cost me and how long it would take, roughly. I've been trying to ring around garages in work, but have been so flat out I've only managed to make one call, and the mechanic I spoke to was supposed to call me back but never did.:( Is it a simple job, like is there somewhere I could call in on a saturday and get it done while I wait, or will I need to leave the car in? I'm on the southside of dublin. Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know there's a Rover garage in Blanchardstown. They're called Ryans try and give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Minor job. €5 for the belt and depending on layout of car, 30 euro plus to fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If it's just whining you can adjust them on most cars, then spray on some silicone lube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

With the engine stopped you should be able to check the amount of slack / deflection in the belt.

Its possible you don't even need a new belt, the old one has stretched a little and needs to be tensioned.

If it's a straight forward V-belt these are typically tensioned by pivoting / moving the alternator slightly. In terms of difficulty I'd say this would be a 1 spanner job in the Haynes manual ;)

If its a serpentine belt it may also be spring tensioned, some times the spring tensioners give up after a good while... the tensioners are mad money either...

Advertisement