Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Koloman wrote: »
    OK, since you have a bee in your bonnet at the moment about the north end it might be appropriate for you to watch the video below and count for yourself! Pause it at around the 46 second or 1:03 minute mark and have a count!

If this video doesn't impress you then you must be without any emotions. I can't wait to go to a game at what will be a fantastic stadium!

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog.aspx

You're like a cheerleader for Lansdowne Road! They should employ you for their PR... I'm glad you love it but can you please allow other people to express a different opinion without dissing them?

Great video, really gives a feel for the place, it's good points and it's bad points. It looks to me like the number of rows of seats at the northern end goes from around 10 at the corners to about 16 behind the posts... not very many unfortunately. I'm glad to say that with the seats installed the attention is very much diverted from the funny shaped trusses which looked terrible up against the bare concrete in previous images.

Also at about 2:17 another of the problems of the stadium shows up - the truss being so low that you can only just about see the opposite edge of the pitch when you are high up on the upper tier of the east stand. Pity the designers forgot that the ball is in the air now and again when theres a rugby match on...:rolleyes:

Credit where it's due though, an awful lot about the stadium looks really fantastic. I just wish they hadn't dropped the ball with the Northern end...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Don't get your knickers in a twist koloman! Talk about bees in bonnets!:rolleyes: I'm glad you love it anyway, good for you!
    Those seats went in very quickly! Plenty of emotion, brings a tear! What could have been! I do hope it will have a good atmosphere! Maybe it will grow on me in time, I really hope so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

citycentre wrote: »
    You're like a cheerleader for Lansdowne Road! They should employ you for their PR... I'm glad you love it but can you please allow other people to express a different opinion without dissing them?

Excuse me? I have not dissed anyone for expressing an opinion and how have I prevented anyone from expressing their views?confused.gif

I'm sorry if my liking of the stadium has upset some of you!

Someone posted not too long ago something about people in the know over in England talking up the design of the aviva..anyone have any more info on this? 81,000+ @ croker today..50,000 I just don't get it!

This:
    If this video doesn't impress you then you must be without any emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Good piece from Matt Cooper yesterday on his radio programme.

Click on the the Last Word 5 pm hour Tuesday: 16/3/2010. It starts just before the 33 minute mark.

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Setanta_og wrote: »
    The stadium is a great testimony to the progress of the country in every aspect.

I would have said the stadium is a great testimony to the lack of vision and ambition displayed by the powers that be during the wealthiest period in the states history. Furthermore it is yet another victim of political interference that has dogged many other infrastructural projects.

Ive been in the ground throughout construction and believe me, its only when you see the seats at the Havelock sq end, that you fully realise how stupid it looks. Its better than what we had before. Its new and modern. But I guarantee that it will become the butt of many jokes internationally. It is far worse that the Orlando and Milan examples, because the stadium did not have to be built on the original site and was part financed by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭REFLINE1

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I would have said the stadium is a great testimony to the lack of vision and ambition displayed by the powers that be during the wealthiest period in the states history. Furthermore it is yet another victim of political interference that has dogged many other infrastructural projects.

Ive been in the ground throughout construction and believe me, its only when you see the seats at the Havelock sq end, that you fully realise how stupid it looks. Its better than what we had before. Its new and modern. But I guarantee that it will become the butt of many jokes internationally. It is far worse that the Orlando and Milan examples, because the stadium did not have to be built on the original site and was part financed by the state.

In what role...........

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Thanks for the link Koloman Liebskind’s views on the rebuild of Dublin are high praise indeed coming from someone of his standing.

No doubt DW the New Lansdowne Road Project manager will question his enthusiasm for progress.

Good piece from Matt Cooper yesterday on his radio programme.

Click on the the Last Word 5 pm hour Tuesday: 16/3/2010. It starts just before the 33 minute mark.

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx

Cheers for that Koloman, Good man Martin! We'll stick the away fans down at the north end!:p
    He didnt get over excited when Matt asked about the atmosphere down there! "Interesting to see how that pans out", not exactly the response you would be hoping for! I hope it works out though!
    No doubt their are state of the art facilities for both players and fans.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I don't understand this post. The stadium would not have been given permission, had compromises (North End) not been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what would the capacity be if the north end was the same as the south end? Do you not reckon that so many people would be desperate for the cash they would be damn quick in accepting an offer from the IRFU to buy out the houses and complete the north end? Its not like its 2006.2007 anymore! We have gone from one extreme to another!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what would the capacity be if the north end was the same as the south end?

Close to 65k

Do you not reckon that so many people would be desperate for the cash they would be damn quick in accepting an offer from the IRFU to buy out the houses and complete the north end? Its not like its 2006.2007 anymore! We have gone from one extreme to another!

I don't necessarily think they would just jump at any offer from the IRFU or anyone else just because times are hard. I'm sure those houses
    would always make a tidy sum of money because of where they are, and they probably are well aware of that.
    Anyway just say for example 20 houses were needed if they approached all 20 owners and 19 were interested in selling and just the one was not no matter what was on offer, that would throw everything out the window!
    I did hear somewhere that they had bought up alot of houses near Havelock Square..don't know if this is true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

what would the capacity be if the north end was the same as the south end? Do you not reckon that so many people would be desperate for the cash they would be damn quick in accepting an offer from the IRFU to buy out the houses and complete the north end? Its not like its 2006.2007 anymore! We have gone from one extreme to another!

It was 2006 / 2007 when they started construction, it's a bit late now.

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    In what role...........

Not construction related. After that I'd rather not say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

citycentre wrote: »

Great video, really gives a feel for the place, it's good points and it's bad points. It looks to me like the number of rows of seats at the northern end goes from around 10 at the corners to about 16 behind the posts... not very many unfortunately. I'm glad to say that with the seats installed the attention is very much diverted from the funny shaped trusses which looked terrible up against the bare concrete in previous images.

Also at about 2:17 another of the problems of the stadium shows up - the truss being so low that you can only just about see the opposite edge of the pitch when you are high up on the upper tier of the east stand. Pity the designers forgot that the ball is in the air now and again when theres a rugby match on...:rolleyes:

Credit where it's due though, an awful lot about the stadium looks really fantastic. I just wish they hadn't dropped the ball with the Northern end...

i know for a fact a mistake was made at design stage on the roof so
    you cant see all of the pitch! I worked on installing it!

donvito99 wrote: »
    I don't understand this post. The stadium would not have been given permission, had compromises (North End) not been made.

Thats why Im saying that it should have been built on a greenfield site elsewhere. But political interference at Government level gave us the half baked stadium we are getting. I.E. The progressive democrats, when in Government (and existance:D) made it a condition of the programme for Government in 2002 that the stadium be built on the site of Landsdowne Road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Can you finish up your politically motivated rant? The low-rise Havelock Sq end looks tremendous - I didn't know they were going to extend the trusses over it, I thought it was going to be open - but instead they've wonderfully integrated it with the rest. Fantastic. Croker made a big mistake not replicating this. They've also solved the problems the old stadium had interfacing with the DART line. Stadium has a huge sense of scale and wonderful facilities and will be a credit to us internationally.

Haven't you ever heard of the Bertie Bowl? Surely the lesson learned there was that Dublin didn't need 3 massive stadiums and one would be a white elephant? So redeveloping Landsdowne was the right thing to do? I thought everyone agreed with that. But you still think we should have built a new Landsdowne Rd on a new site - which would give us 3 stadiums! :rolleyes: In addition - if overcapacity of stadium seating space was an issue back then - why are you saying 50,000 is too small?

As for buying the houses and extending the stadium, what part of "It's really hard to buy up and destroy an entire street" do all of you people not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

getting away from the above bickering.

did anyone see in the irish times today that the pitch has been seeded?

i would have thought they would have just transported in the rolled already-grown turf and laid it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i have to agree with some folks here - that end looks rubbish

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can you finish up your politically motivated rant? The low-rise Havelock Sq end looks tremendous - I didn't know they were going to extend the trusses over it, I thought it was going to be open - but instead they've wonderfully integrated it with the rest.

I'm glad some people are easily impressed... Personally I think the "Bus Shelter" looks pathetic...

Haven't you ever heard of the Bertie Bowl? Surely the lesson learned there was that Dublin didn't need 3 massive stadiums and one would be a white elephant? So redeveloping Landsdowne was the right thing to do? I thought everyone agreed with that. But you still think we should have built a new Landsdowne Rd on a new site - which would give us 3 stadiums! :rolleyes: In addition - if overcapacity of stadium seating space was an issue back then - why are you saying 50,000 is too small?

As for buying the houses and extending the stadium, what part of "It's really hard to buy up and destroy an entire street" do all of you people not understand?

Oh dear god almighty.:rolleyes: How out of touch are you. BERTIE BOWL was meant to be the venue for both the IRFU and the FAI. The progressive democrats objected to it and favoured a redevelopment of Lansdowne road. (based on cost) So either way it was still going to be only TWO stadiums. I won't bother explaining the sequence of events again.

The rest of your post is obviously directed at others as it isn't relevent to anything Ive said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Look, there was another option - rotate the pitch through 90 deg.

This would have taken the pressure off the residential at the north end. Straightening and perhaps even grade separation of Lansdowne Road itself could have been on the table depending on the stadium footprint.

I think the tenancies of Lansdowne and Wanderers (in particular) complicated that - even the single back pitch remaining post-new-stadium would have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Aviva written in the seats?!? Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Daysha wrote: »
    Aviva written in the seats?!? Ugh.

Well it won't matter if anyone is sitting on them...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

ofjames wrote: »
    did anyone see in the irish times today that the pitch has been seeded?

i would have thought they would have just transported in the rolled already-grown turf and laid it that way.

Seeding promotes a better grass. It usually isn't done in stadiums due to time pressures. But in this case time isn't a problem with the first match not due to be played until August i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭REFLINE1

i know for a fact a mistake was made at design stage on the roof so
    you cant see all of the pitch! I worked on installing it!

Paddy James-strange name for an Italian! seeing as ALL the roof erectors were Italian :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 WhatadayDerek_

The low-rise Havelock Sq end looks tremendous - I didn't know they were going to extend the trusses over it, I thought it was going to be open - but instead they've wonderfully integrated it with the rest. Fantastic.

I agree I think they did a top notch job considering.
    I'm glad they did'nt leave the north end open and unfinished like croke park which was very possible considering the major restriction that was on hand. Good job Paddy James..yeah right!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,475 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't understand the begrudgery on this thread.
    Compare the stadium that is there now to the antiquated cow shed that was there before.
    Lived in Holland for a few years, and came home for the epic Dutch game (Go on McAteer!) in 2001,and had some Dutchies with me and they just laughed when they saw the state of the staduim.

People are forgeting that the design was compelled to fit in with strict planning restrictions and I therefore think they did they best they could and at least the staduim looks complete. Much better than the Hill 16 abomination in Croke Park which just looks ridiculously unfinished to me and does not complete the look of a modern stadium.

Also, I think everyone should reserve complete judgement of the stadium until it has actually been used for a match day.

Advertisement