Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are still those amongst us that think match atmosphere is dependent on a street load of boozers in close proximity to the ground. Considering how easily the Irish people have rolled over and died in the face of change elsewhere in society, I find the notion that a greenfield site would be detrimental to stadium atmosphere, to be hysterically funny, irrelevant and mired in a traditional mindset.

For example. The best thing about the GAA is tradition. While the worst thing about the GAA is tradition.

Go figure.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    The atmosphere in Munich doesn't seem to be affected tonight considering the stadium is pretty much in the middle of nowhere outside Munich, on a motorway network half way between the airport and city.

For the record the atmosphere in Croker has been dire for 90% of the football games, but I do take your point and agree with it partially.

As an Ireland fan who goes to all the home football games, I would be horrified had they built a satdium in Abbotstown. It's in the middle of nowhere and would have been a pain in the ass to get to. Ballsbridge is far easier for fans. And the area has a bit of life to it with bars etc etc. I for one would always pick a smaller redeveloped Lansdowne Road over a bigger Abbotstown stadium.

Thanks god the Bertie bowl was shot down. One of the only good things the PD's did.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Any progress updates on Eircom Park????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What now?

Google search: Oh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Lol, that would have actually been in a good spot, near the railway in or around Balgaddy there. would have been easy for peeople to meet in the city, have a couple of pints then hop on the Dart at St Stephen's green and whizz out to Eircom Park...oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murphaph wrote: »
    Lol, that would have actually been in a good spot, near the railway in or around Balgaddy there. would have been easy for peeople to meet in the city, have a couple of pints then hop on the Dart at St Stephen's green and whizz out to Eircom Park...oh wait.

Well actually it was to be built in Citywest and the new luas line is right next to the site. You're thinking of Owen whathisnames stadium in Clondalkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Might also be thinking of the Bertie Bowl possibly?

MYOB wrote: »
    Might also be thinking of the Bertie Bowl possibly?

I thinks its Clondalkin alright. Thats where Balgaddy is and Owen O'Callaghan a Cork based developer was planning to build a stadium there. The site is alongside the Mainline from Heuston and ironically, Kishogue station backs onto it. At one stage there was an attempt to relocate Wimbledon FC to it and even launch a team called Dublin FC in the English Premiership!

The other proposed stadium was on the site of the phoenix park racecourse.

After all the ambition and craziness, we ended back up in Lansdowne anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Could they not have paid the residents off? no doubt a good pay off would have shut them up!

Paying off residents is a tricky business. As soon as you start that, where do you stop? The people who haven't been paid off start objecting vigorously until you have to pay them off. You're talking all the Residents of Lansdowne Road, Shelbourne Road, Newbridge Ave, Herbert Road, Havelock Square, O'Connell Gardens, Bath AVenue, and that's just for starters.

I know personally of two roads not far from Ballsbridge where a developer decided to pay off residents adjacent to his (now built) development, but he ended up having to pay off all the residents on both roads, even though the ones at the far end of the road would have not been affected at all by the development. Crazy situation, but my friend wasn't complaining when he was send a cheque for many thousands of Euros.

It is one thing a private developer paying off residents when he knows he is going to make a killing on a load of apartments at the height of the boom, but different for a project funded by the government to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

The Allianz built for £250 million, what a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If only there was a large green field site close to Lansdowne Road that would have accommodated a stadium with no compromises, yet continued to allow people to partake in their pre and post match traditions.

• Advertisement

As an Ireland fan who goes to all the home football games, I would be horrified had they built a satdium in Abbotstown. It's in the middle of nowhere and would have been a pain in the ass to get to.

Horrified you may have been, but I bet you would have still went.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

As an Ireland fan who goes to all the home football games, I would be horrified had they built a satdium in Abbotstown.
    As an Ireland fan who hasn't been accommodated by the new stadium despite an increase of 15,000 capacity and despite being on the waiting list for many years, I am horrified that they didn't cater for demand. I presume that case is even more relevant for Rugby fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I would be horrified had they built a satdium in Abbotstown. It's in the middle of nowhere and would have been a pain in the ass to get to.

What part of dublin are you from? For most fans like myself it would have been much easier to get to.

Just heard Gerry Ryan in the backround saying something about Thierry Henry and the Aviva, the word opening was also mentioned. I couldn't catch the rest of it, anyone know what it's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Just heard Gerry Ryan in the backround saying something about Thierry Henry and the Aviva, the word opening was also mentioned. I couldn't catch the rest of it, anyone know what it's about?

Have a look at your calender!

Silly me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If only there was a large green field site close to Lansdowne Road that would have accommodated a stadium with no compromises, yet continued to allow people to partake in their pre and post match traditions.
    You mean Ringsend? Bit more of a hike from the DART though, which means a lot more street closures I'd have thought?

Not so nice for the overhead helicopter TV shots either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Yeh it looks great. Cant wait to go to a game

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Looking good indeed. I especially like the picture from inside the ground looking towards the lower Havelock Square end where you can see through the structure above the seating.

The approach to the stadium from Lower Grand Canal street (as you cross the canal) is also quite spectacular as you can see in over the lower section into the stadium itself.

While I know there is a general agreement that the capacity is too low, I do think its an amazing piece of infrastructure and one to be admired. I can't wait either to get to a game there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I think it looks very impressive.

I never had any doubt! Nice to see some sceptics coming round!wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Its a great kooking stadium, ok for soccer depending on who we are playing, deffo not big enough for rugby, shame we did'nt make it a 65,000
    seater it would of been perfect.

Koloman wrote: »
    I never had any doubt! Nice to see some sceptics coming round!wink.gif

Yeah admitted my thoughts were a tad hurried during construction.
    Cheers Kolo! :p
    At the time I paniced a wee bit with the North end but now everything seems to just fit.
    When you take into account the major limitations that were on hand here you cannot but be impressed with the result.
    I think the roof looks great.
    No more wet windy nights in Lansdowne! As great and memorable as they were!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

The fact is that under the current granted planning application for a 50,000 seater stadium, 50,000 unrestricted seats are being provided, NONE are obscured by the roof.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7107294.ece

@ Bluetonic - Seems there are restricted view seats.

Latest from inside the stadium, take a look :D

http://www.youtube.ie/watch?v=kjqFGGOa09U

What do you think?

Steviemak wrote: »
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7107294.ece

@ Bluetonic - Seems there are restricted view seats.

Don't get this!
    When they say extra seats, was their more than 50,000 seats put in then? Or is their really only 49,000 seats with the other (restricted) 1,000 for cops and stewards?wtf:eek:

Don't get this!
    When they say extra seats, was their more than 50,000 seats put in then? Or is their really only 49,000 seats with the other (restricted) 1,000 for cops and stewards?wtf:eek:

If we end up with a stadium with a smaller capacity (Previously - 49,500) it would be one of the most demoralising projects ever undertaken in Ireland. Up there with evoting if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭REFLINE1

Don't get this!

Yes there was more than 50,000 seats installed.
    There are 50,000 unrestricted viewing seats.
    The seats with slightly restricted views will not be sold to general public.

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Yes there was more than 50,000 seats installed.
    There are 50,000 unrestricted viewing seats.
    The seats with slightly restricted views will not be sold to general public.

Have you a reference for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭REFLINE1

Deedsie wrote: »
    Have you a reference for that?

There was an article in the Tribune a while back when the issue first arose after installation of the roof trusses with Martin Murphy stadium director.
    Ill try and dig it out for you this eve.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/may/10/roof-at-new-lansdowne-road-may-obscure-views/?q=lansdowne

Advertisement