Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I had a look at the outside of Landsdowne Road and Croke Park from the train this morning. It seems that the Fai and Irfu took the approach of having a stadium that looks lovely from the outside, while compromising the inside views some amount, while the Gaa have all their structural work holding up the roof outside the stadium, and not compromising the view.

However the roof in Croker isn't up to much when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

However the roof in Croker isn't up to much when it rains.

That's for sure, don't think I'll ever forget the Kerry v Galway Quarter Final in 2008....the lower tiers emptied!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I care about it as it could have been avoided.

Would have to agree with you here, seating with any type of obstucted view in a new modern stadia just should not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i hate the irish mentality of "ah sure its grand, itll do."

the stadium is good yes, and is 100 times better than what was before it, but its not 100%. For the money it cost in these times we should only accept the best in my opinion.

Next years Europa League Final:
    "Due to UEFA rules against corporate sponsorship outside the federation, for the final the stadium will be referred to as the "Dublin Arena"

ygyuu.jpg
    v4x7af.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

dublin arena?

what the hell's wrong with lansdowne road?

what sort of dick came up with that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ofjames wrote: »
    dublin arena?

Michel Platini?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

ofjames wrote: »
    dublin arena?

A similar Dick to the many that greenlit this stadium and continue to believe it is world class, when it isn't even close. (unless you are either an FAI/IRFU drone or a very naieve supporter thats been conditioned by years of spin into believing that this stadium is fantastic.

Its not.

The Sponsorship issue is old news, but I guess we are so deprived in Ireland that we embrace it as controversy.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

DWCommuter wrote: »
    A similar Dick to the many that greenlit this stadium and continue to believe it is world class, when it isn't even close. (unless you are either an FAI/IRFU drone or a very naieve supporter thats been conditioned by years of spin into believing that this stadium is fantastic.

Its not.

In your opinion

Its not.

The Sponsorship issue is old news, but I guess we are so deprived in Ireland that we embrace it as controversy.:rolleyes:

If the north end was the same as the rest of the stadium would you be happy?
    Forgetting about site restrictions etc for a min, if you were to choose any stadium in the world to replace the new stadium with, which would you choose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Forgetting about site restrictions etc for a min, if you were to choose any stadium in the world to replace the new stadium with, which would you choose?

Twickers is pretty nice, don't what's wrong with Croker myself. Could have saved us a few euro

If the north end was the same, I'd be happy.

As for what stadium I'd replace it with, well I'd choose the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Twickers is pretty nice, don't what's wrong with Croker myself. Could have saved us a few euro

No doubt the new stadium cost a hell of alot of money, IMO Croke was too big and clumsy for football & rugby. I believe a 65,000 seater would have been spot on. Would it really have been a travisty if they sold the LR site, moved to another site where they could have built what was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

No doubt the new stadium cost a hell of alot of money, IMO Croke was too big and clumsy for football & rugby. I believe a 65,000 seater would have been spot on. Would it really have been a travisty if they sold the LR site, moved to another site where they could have built what was required.

I wouldn't have a sentimental attachment to Lansdowne Road but I can't see how a alternative site could be found. Croke Park and Lansdowne Road both have great locations because they are so easily accessible. Somewhere like Wembley is a nightmare in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Would it really have been a travisty if they sold the LR site, moved to another site where they could have built what was required.
    Only to those who have a commercial interest in having a stadium where it is.
    Enbee wrote: »
    I can't see how a alternative site could be found.
    How much would the Lansdowne site have made at the time and how much would the Irish Glass site have cost? That is less the extra €100m the DDDA paid ontop of the next highest bid at the time. The site would have allowed more revenue enabling steams to be build on it too.
    Somewhere like Wembley is a nightmare in comparison.
    You can't compare London and Dublin and expect it to be a fair comparison.

Couldn't agree with that at all. Public transport access to Wembley Stadium is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Couldn't agree with that at all. Public transport access to Wembley Stadium is excellent.
    The Tube is amazing alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Having been at it twice last year I agree fully.

Very easy to get there and back from central London along a number of alternative routes at minimal cost and fuss.

The public transport to Wembley isn't bad but there's a lot to be said for siting a stadium within walking distance of a city centre.

Wasn't Docklands proposed as a potential site years ago but then dropped?

As for what stadium I'd replace it with, well I'd choose the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Good choice, quality stadium.

I found Wembley very accessible, no hassle at all in getting there.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Only to those who have a commercial interest in having a stadium where it is.

I know it wont happen for a long time but I do think the new Lansdowne will eventually be expanded to a four sided stadium.
    IMO I think the north end of the ground was designed with a view to future development.
    Apparently most of the material used (glass & steel) on the roof at the North end can be dismantled quite easily and possibly re-structured for use as part of a new roof at this end of the ground.

• Advertisement

but there's a lot to be said for siting a stadium within walking distance of a city centre.

Why?

Why?

Where would you rather be before and after a game? Dublin city centre or, for example, Citywest?

Where would you rather be before and after a game? Dublin city centre or, for example, Citywest?

It doesn't matter. If Dublin had a proper transport infrastructure, then Citywest would be fine. The siting of stadiums is not about being close to your traditional watering hole. As we were talking about Wembley, it has been on that site for many many years and functions fine with a fabulous atmosphere. People accept that you get there via a wide range of reliable public transport options. (in many cases quicker than the walk you describe to Landsdowne from Dublin city centre)

I don't buy into all this traditional bull****. If your going to build a stadium, you do it right. If it can't be done on the existing site, you go elsewhere. When the players step out on the pitch they really don't give a flying **** if the fans have raced up the road from Donehy & Nesbitts in time for kick off.

Huh? A central location has nothing to do with tradition. Tradition would be wanting to preserve the Lansdowne Road cottages or Wembley towers.

You've said IF the public transport links were good enough to Citywest it'd be fine. IF! They're not so it isn't - otherwise I'd have said that it was a viable site and that the stadium should have been built there instead of a compromised design being shoehorned into an inadequate central site. The same applies to just about every green field site outside of Dublin city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

So long as the actual pitch is in good standing (compared to Wembley's mess of a surface), there's not much to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Stadiums form part of at least two major city skylines in Canada - BC Place in Vancouver and Skydome in Toronto. Croke Park and Lansdowne by contrast are difficult to appreciate except from above or from nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Craig Fay

dowlingm wrote: »
    Stadiums form part of at least two major city skylines in Canada - BC Place in Vancouver and Skydome in Toronto. Croke Park and Lansdowne by contrast are difficult to appreciate except from above or from nearby.

Seen Landsdowne from near Three Rock Mountain two days ago. It looks like a fantastic big blue blob in the middle of the city... cool though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dowlingm wrote: »

But these are cities which appreciate architecture instead of trying to hide everything new in with everything else.

Craig Fay wrote: »
    Seen Landsdowne from near Three Rock Mountain two days ago. It looks like a fantastic big blue blob in the middle of the city... cool though :cool:

Interesting! Take a pic next time please!

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    But these are cities which appreciate architecture instead of trying to hide everything new in with everything else.

Here's another - Calgary Saddledome (20,000 seat (ice) hockey arena)

Advertisement