Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Rubbish.

There will of course be general sale of non premium level seats for concerts.

Sorry yes, concerts should be excluded, Soccer and Rugby only. I'd imagine some fixtures won't fill the ground and there'll be general sale for the odd match - but anything else comes off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    got a few pics, will throw them up tomorrow.
    Any chance?

Any chance?

Lost the bloody cable for my phone - will keep looking. Just looking at them (it was my dad using the camera), theyre a bit shíte tbh :P

Some pics of it that I took on that tour yoke on the 13th March '09. Guy said the estimated completion date is April '10 which is ahead of schedule.

More.

• Advertisement

And more. It's just my camera phone so the quality obviously isn't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

amazing pics of the stadium just wondering how far down the road is the stadium from completion(percentage wise) i know its opening in April 2010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm very interested in the arrangement at the DART side of the stadium. Are they doing the right thing and making it so the punters don't have to walk across the tracks anymore as they enter and exit the stadium?

Dónal wrote: »
    And more. It's just my camera phone so the quality obviously isn't fantastic.

Cheers Dónal, pretty much covers everything that was in my pics also. Still haven't found the fúcking cable! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i read on another website that according to some of the workers on site, some of the seats will have obstructed views of the pitch because of the roof design.judgin by some of the pics the roof really comes down at a tight angle.if its true its a terrible flaw in the design.can you imagine a game of rugby when the ball is in the air!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Here is the planning application.

All the plans and elevations along with tons of correspondence can be found on the 'Documents' tab.

Hmmm....I see from the above that they have been buying up a lot of properties at Havelock Square and O'Connell Gardens...and Lansdowne road for that matter....

conspiricy theory anyone?

If they completed the bowl it would hold c65,000. Probably the optimum capacity.

Stupido wrote: »
    Hmmm....I see from the above that they have been buying up a lot of properties at Havelock Square and O'Connell Gardens...and Lansdowne road for that matter....

conspiricy theory anyone?

If they completed the bowl it would hold c65,000. Probably the optimum capacity.

Are you really suggesting they'll knock the low-capacity end and rebuild?

Not in the next decade, anyway.

yeah, won't be any time soon, but it gives them the option to do it in the future

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Are you really suggesting they'll knock the low-capacity end and rebuild?

Not in the next decade, anyway.
    The capacity of the upgraded stadium will probably be fine for at least a decade, but I think this should be long term goal.

I actually asked that question on the tour, and the FAI guy said it'd be nearer to 60,000 if it was completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

New pics up.

That roof's a tough piece of engineering. First bit went up in Jan and they're not even half way yet.

dat's cos it was built in Venice....takes a while to get to D4.

It does look dramatic tho, I must admit.

People are going to have to get used to some of the trusses being below eyelevel for the upper parts of the stadium (a la Wembley). should be no prob for soccer but a few garryowens may disappear from sight for a few thousand!

.....still think its too small.....moan...groan...:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

dat's cos it was built in Venice....takes a while to get to D4.

It does look dramatic tho, I must admit.

People are going to have to get used to some of the trusses being below eyelevel for the upper parts of the stadium (a la Wembley). should be no prob for soccer but a few garryowens may disappear from sight for a few thousand!

.....still think its too small.....moan...groan...:mad::mad::mad:

For soccer its the perfect size. Don't forget the doomed Eircom Park was due a capacity of no more than 45,000 seats. A 50,000 capacity means it will be full for most games.

For rugby on the other hand 50,000 is too small, especially in the current climate with the popularity of rugby at an all time high.

It's a pity some permanent arrangement with Croke Park could not be agreed for the "bigger" games. With Aviva as a sponsor of the name of the ground then this is off the agenda for a least the next 10 years.

yes but there is a management issue over what is acceptable to what is desirable.

The pricing structure for soccer is very bad when compared to other countries. You can't expect to fill a stadium charging premium rates for games against second tier opposition.

That said, the attandences recently at croker (including Georgia and Cyprus games) have all exceeded the capacity for Lansdowne road by about 10,000. So there is a demand there, despite ticket prices. If the FAI priced the games better those games would have been sold out.

The IRFU pricing structure is worse, but they have a winning team and they are getting the games sold out as a result. They can't continue to do this if the team goes back to the losing ways of the 1990's.

So it is all relative. There is a big demand for both games, and ticket price is key. I don't think the games should ever become the sole preserve of those who can afford to pay €50-€100 a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

would they not continue to use croker for the bigger rugby and soccer matches? it would be ideal to eventually complete the full ring around lansdowne.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    would they not continue to use croker for the bigger rugby and soccer matches? it would be ideal to eventually complete the full ring around lansdowne.

When you sign a deal for 10 years worth 40 million Euro's for a company to put their name on the stadium they are not going to be happy if you move the bigger games to another stadium.

It will be 10 years a least (if ever) before we might see the possibility of some games going back to Croke Park.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    it would be ideal to eventually complete the full ring around lansdowne.
    They need to do a bit of buying up of houses.

they have already!

they have already!
    Eh....that was my point - the attachment above shows the outline of what is under the ownership of the LRSDC, it shows the footprint of their ownership.

Stupido by name.... :)

your image is out of date. They own more. :D

your image is out of date. They own more. :D
    My image is from a planning permission document from April 2009.

What have they bought since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

After seeing, Wimbledons new roof, it reminds me that landsdowne road (I refuse to call it anything else) stadium should have a roof on it, making it more usable for concerts etc., and when it buckets down for matches to save the turf and fans.
    If they did it in cardiff(millenium stadium), amsterdam(arena) and now wimbledon (Centre Court) surely they could have done it.

Heck even if we win the eurovision in the future, rte wouldn't have far to go to broadcast it from there like the russians did on saturday

After seeing, Wimbledons new roof, it reminds me that landsdowne road (I refuse to call it anything else) stadium

I am sure the FAI and IRFU won't mind what you call it with 40 million Euro secured for the name safely in their pockets!

I bet you will be calling it the Aviva Stadium after a while, sure look what happened with O2 and the Point. No one calls it the Point anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Koloman wrote: »
    I bet you will be calling it the Aviva Stadium after a while, sure look what happened with O2 and the Point. No one calls it the Point anymore.

I do. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Thee Owhat? I like The Point and its makeover...
    And I still call it the point....

Advertisement