Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

loyatemu wrote: »
    they were given planning for the stadium as it is, if they wanted to expand they'd have to apply for new planning. Presumably this would be easier if there were no residents immediately behind the north stand to object.

There is an underground water system at that end too which was part of the reason it had to be lower there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Not sure if the roofing and cladding was designed with a future extension in mind.

Any expansion of the stadium would have to be paid from the extra revenue those new seats earn, I couldn't see a business case for it ever making sense.

You'ld have what 3 rugby matches a year and 2-3 soccer which would fill it and thats being generous to the soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any expansion of the stadium would have to be paid from the extra revenue those new seats earn, I couldn't see a business case for it ever making sense.

You'ld have what 3 rugby matches a year and 2-3 soccer which would fill it and thats being generous to the soccer.

4 or 5 Irish rugby matches, Leinster European games, European final, concerts, bigger Irish soccer matches. A bit of form in the team would improve attendances no end.

It should definitely be extended if possible. There is always a massive demand for 6 nations tickets. The IRFU could have sold 80,000 tickets handy for Sunday. A 60000 stadium would be much more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

6N - 2 or 3
    Autumn Internationals - 2 or 3
    FAI Qualifiers - 2 or 3
    plus the odd ERCC match depending on how the provinces are doing.

I'd say 8 sellouts a year average is realistic.

Would also open up the possibility of hosting the Champions League final (possibly, seems to be some debate as to whether 60K or 70K is the minimum capacity for this).

It wouldn't make any difference for concerts as you have to put the stage at one end and they already use the northern end for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Deedsie wrote: »
    4 or 5 Irish rugby matches, Leinster European games, European final, concerts, bigger Irish soccer matches. A bit of form in the team would improve attendances no end.

It should definitely be extended if possible. There is always a massive demand for 6 nations tickets. The IRFU could have sold 80,000 tickets handy for Sunday. A 60000 stadium would be much more suitable.

Pretty sure there is a 82K capacity stadium in the city already:)

Best solution would have been to have built a 50K capacity stadium that could accommodate Gaelic games instead of effectively banning them by building a stadium with a small pitch.

Then we could have had the sensible solution of having the England / France & occasional Autumn international in Croke Park when demand required it and the GAA could have played some games in the 50K stadium.

Surely this would have been a much better solution that the joke of a stadium that is the new Lansdowne Road. Has ever a stadium cost so much (€410m) and delivered so little.

• Advertisement

Best solution would have been to have built a 50K capacity stadium that could accommodate Gaelic games instead of effectively banning them by building a stadium with a small pitch.

Then we could have had the sensible solution of having the England / France & occasional Autumn international in Croke Park when demand required it and the GAA could have played some games in the 50K stadium.

Surely this would have been a much better solution that the joke of a stadium that is the new Lansdowne Road. Has ever a stadium cost so much (€410m) and delivered so little.

then you'd have had 2 stadiums that were great for watching GAA in and lousy for every other sport because of the disparity in pitch sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

They barely fit the current pitch into the footprint on Lansdowne rd so it would have only been possible to fit a GAA pitch in if they made the south end as small as the north end.

The social history on this island impacts upon the practicality of stadium usage. Maybe in the future this will change but for now things won't work that way here. Lansdowne Road stadium is actually brilliant now, I was there Sunday and it's actually a beautiful stadium from outside. I just think IF it was ever possible the stadium should be extended at the Havelock Square end. Just to even out the stands at either end of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

The IRFU don't own the stadium. It's 50% owned by the FAI and they definitely don't need (or could they afford) a stadium expansion.
    So mis-informed.

The IRFU own the land.
    The FAI have a 50% share of the stadium for its 'lifespan'. After that the FAI own nothing.

Hackery wrote: »
    They barely fit the current pitch into the footprint on Lansdowne rd so it would have only been possible to fit a GAA pitch in if they made the south end as small as the north end.

Pointless discussing it but the stadium could have been built over the back training pitch with the dodder at one end and the dart line at the other. But we have enough GAA stadiums at this stage. We needed a rugby/soccer stadium.

• Advertisement

then you'd have had 2 stadiums that were great for watching GAA in and lousy for every other sport because of the disparity in pitch sizes.

Were the 2 greatest rugby sporting moments not in Croke Park, namely Ireland England 2007 & Leinster Munster 2009 H-Cup semi final. Don't recall either lacking atmosphere. Atmosphere in new Lansdowne has been generally terrible.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Pointless discussing it but the stadium could have been built over the back training pitch with the dodder at one end and the dart line at the other. But we have enough GAA stadiums at this stage. We needed a rugby/soccer stadium.

Just needed to turn the pitch through 90 degrees and use the back pitch but too short sighted. Plenty of club rugby pitches in D4 that are under utilised.

We needed an intelligent solution that could have accommodated both. Instead we got a dismal stadium that cost a fortune but looks pretty from the outside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stojkovic wrote: »
    So mis-informed.

The IRFU own the land.
    The FAI have a 50% share of the stadium for its 'lifespan'. After that the FAI own nothing.

On the contrary, I am not mis informed. The land my be owned by the IRFU (which I was fully aware of), but the stadium (which is what we are talking about) is owned by a joint venture company between the FAI and IRFU. At the end of the lifetime of 50 - 60 years the stadium will be due for redevelopment / demolition. Until then the FAI own 50% of it and have a say on any developments that take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

On the contrary, I am not mis informed. The land my be owned by the IRFU (which I was fully aware of), but the stadium (which is what we are talking about) is owned by a joint venture company between the FAI and IRFU. At the end of the lifetime of 50 - 60 years the stadium will be due for redevelopment / demolition. Until then the FAI own 50% of it and have a say on any developments that take place.
    So you agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Here are some interesting early CGIs from the feasibility stage showing the pitch rotated 90 degrees.

Terribly bland design though!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Atmosphere in new Lansdowne has been generally terrible.

Perhaps you missed this news report: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2015/0217/680811-aviva-stadium-is-second-loudest-six-nations-venue/

No doubt that result will be improved upon as a result of the England game last weekend.

I have been to many stadia over the years. By far the greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced was Ireland vs. New Zealand in the new Lansdowne Road in 2013. No other stadium I've visited has been able to replicate an atmosphere like that one in my experience.

number_1 wrote: »
    Perhaps you missed this news report: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2015/0217/680811-aviva-stadium-is-second-loudest-six-nations-venue/

No doubt that result will be improved upon as a result of the England game last weekend.

I have been to many stadia over the years. By far the greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced was Ireland vs. New Zealand in the new Lansdowne Road in 2013. No other stadium I've visited has been able to replicate an atmosphere like that one in my experience.

I was at it, an exciting friendly, nothing special.

Old stadium was far better. £20 odd for North terrace, much better atmosphere. Current piped music is an embarrassment and cringeworthy. I only go these days if I get free tickets.

Vanquished wrote: »
    Here are some interesting early CGIs from the feasibility stage showing the pitch rotated 90 degrees.

Terribly bland design though!

regardless of the design, they should have rotated and built bigger - too late now though. I think Lansdowne RC didn't want to lose the back pitch and they presumably have some influence within the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

regardless of the design, they should have rotated and built bigger - too late now though. I think Lansdowne RC didn't want to lose the back pitch and they presumably have some influence within the IRFU.

Really it's far too late for this debate now.

This was done to death at the time.

The stadium is built and it's not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

6N - 2 or 3
    Autumn Internationals - 2 or 3
    FAI Qualifiers - 2 or 3
    plus the odd ERCC match depending on how the provinces are doing.

I'd say 8 sellouts a year average is realistic.

Would also open up the possibility of hosting the Champions League final (possibly, seems to be some debate as to whether 60K or 70K is the minimum capacity for this).

It wouldn't make any difference for concerts as you have to put the stage at one end and they already use the northern end for this.

according to this
    the FAI had 5 full houses from 2010 to mid 2013

This suggests only 45k for big club/internationals

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

according to this
    the FAI had 5 full houses from 2010 to mid 2013

This suggests only 45k for big club/internationals

Rebuild Dalymount in to 20K seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

I was at it, an exciting friendly, nothing special.

You are being deliberately obtuse to try and deflect posts which suggest that what you say may be wrong.

PS. Nice job ignoring the first part of my post, the bit with the objective anecdotal evidence!

You are being deliberately obtuse to try and deflect posts which suggest that what you say may be wrong.

PS. Nice job ignoring the first part of my post, the bit with the objective anecdotal evidence!

ah yes.....this brilliant bit of journalism.....:rolleyes:

1. Millennium Stadium (Wales v England)
    LAeq summary average - 92.0dB
    Highest point LAeq recorded throughout the measurement - 100.0dB after Rhys Webb's early try
    2. Aviva Stadium (Ireland v France)
    LAeq summary average - 89.8dB
    Highest point - 101.0dB at full-time
    3. Twickenham (England v Italy)
    LAeq summary average - 88.4dB
    Highest point - 91.1dB immediately after the anthems
    4. Murrayfield (Scotland v Wales)
    LAeq summary average - 88.0dB
    Highest point - 96.0dB after Stuart Hogg's early try
    5. Stadio Olimpico (Italy v Ireland)
    LAeq summary average - 86.1dB
    Highest point - 92.8dB after Kelly Haimona's late disallowed try
    6. Stade de France (France v Scotland)
    LAeq summary average - 85.1dB
    Highest point - 90.2dB as the crowd began singing the anthem after Camille Lopez's late penalty

but sure you also ignored the first part of my post.....but lets not get petty...

"Were the 2 greatest rugby sporting moments not in Croke Park, namely Ireland England 2007 & Leinster Munster 2009 H-Cup semi final. Don't recall either lacking atmosphere."

before i wrote "Atmosphere in new Lansdowne has been generally terrible"

Advertisement