Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

dugganm07 wrote: »
    is that a big screen i can see being erected in some of the ground pictures?

Certainly looks like it. A bit early to be putting in the big screens don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Lansdowne, but none of them mention restricted-view seats. Link please?

See earlier posts for all the links. The consensus seems to be that there won't be any seats whee you can't see the full playing area, but that in the top of the upper tier your view will be mostly room beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

I was really looking forward to the new aviva. Have to say I am a little disappointed so far. In my opinion I think that the north end drop looks very severe compared to the grand scale of the rest of the stadium. It reminds me of Croke park - unfinished. Apart from that end the rest looks pretty impressive. A shame they couldnt get it 100% right. But I guess we should be grateful we are finally getting a new stadium. It may take a little time but we the green army will make it a fortress once again you can count on that! I would have thought the big screen would have been one of the final things to be put in place after seats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Ive seen all the photos. Ive walked around the outside of it. Ive even walked around the inside of it and that north end is an unmitigated disaster. Its a similar size to the west stand in Tallaght stadium with a wall of glass behind it. Better than what we had, but I can already here the sniggering from foreign media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

I was there last week on a site visit. I took loads and loads of photos but i cant post them up with out the clients permission.

There is a fully fitted out corporate box, which we went into also, savage views from there, theres also an 800 seater restaurant going in with another circa 500 seater restaurant going in too. The disabled are really well catered for here, and to be honest have probably the best area viewing wise. Plenty of toilets around too. The seats are slightly bigger in the stadium then those of Thomond park or Croker. This option cost them 5000 seats overall though.

The pitch is not big enough to hold a senior hurling game just in case down the line you never know. There are 8 seats without full view, this currently means that 8 seats cant make out one corner flag thats all, the rest of the pitch can be seen. There is one giant tv, bigger than the one hanging up in corker in at the moment with one more to go in.

The north end of the stadium is a complete disaster in my opinion. We now have a lovely horse shoe as a stadium as the north end is quite frankly tiny. You can see straight into the back rooms of the resident houses they are that close. Its an awful pity that they couldnt buy them out but such is life.

The stadium doesnt encroach on the Dart stop as CIE own the airspace above the lines. To facilitate this they rotated the stadium 14 degrees i think it was. The polycarbonate louvers are pretty cool, i remain unconvinced that they are self cleaning though, i suppose time will tell.

There is 10,000 corporate tickets, 20,000 premium tickets and 20,000 regular tickets available. There are plenty of bars and the place is well setup for everything outside of games to include concerts, weddings etc.

• Advertisement

A good bounce on a trampoline and you would be over that north end! The more I look at it the more ridiculous it looks. There is a house clearly visable from the latest ground shots. I understand they were restricted with planning etc but surely they could have achieved a design that does'nt look like they ran out of material! The old north stand was no where near as low as this. Will this dead end suck the atmosphere out of the stadium? I think so. Does anyone think the roof looks a bit odd? Or is it just me!

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Does anyone think the roof looks a bit odd? Or is it just me!

What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Koloman wrote: »
    What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me!
    its a fecken joke.thats whats wrong.if i was a skier id love the slope all the way down to the north stand [pole].

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have to say the roof structure bugs the hell out of me :mad:
    it is a similar design to The Emirates Stadium except it over hangs !
    don't know the reason for it but it looks ridiculus !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

cronin_j wrote: »
    There is 10,000 corporate tickets, 20,000 premium tickets and 20,000 regular tickets available. There are plenty of bars and the place is well setup for everything outside of games to include concerts, weddings etc.
    Where are you getting this from?

There are 10,000 premium level seats, 1,300 box level and 38,700 general seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from?

There are 10,000 premium level seats, 1,300 box level and 38,700 general seats.

Just relaying what the PM said to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Fair enough, it's incorrect though. The stadium is made up of the above.

Perhaps your information is in the context of the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

:eek:
    What the jaysus would Gordon Brown know about it and how come you're on such good terms with him?

biffoman wrote: »
    its a fecken joke.thats whats wrong.if i was a skier id love the slope all the way down to the north stand [pole].

I think some people are over-analysing this! It will be a fantastic new stadium and a least that "slope" that some are going on about will give it a bit of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

There are 8 seats without full view, this currently means that 8 seats cant make out one corner flag thats all, the rest of the pitch can be seen.

How many seats will have restricted views when O'Gara takes a penalty or kicks a high one down the line landing just inside the corner flag. Definitely takes away from the enjoyment if you have to look at the screen to get a proper view.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

biffoman wrote: »

They had to keep that end low for planning, not sure what you expected them to do?

Koloman wrote: »
    What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me![/quote

It just looks like it hangs over alot. But it will prob look ok when complete. Maybe when it is finished and with a capacity crowd the stadium as a whole will blend well and have a nice feel about it regardless of the missing presence at the north end. I certainly hope so anyway. We have waited for this for so long I really hope it will be an arena to be proud of.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

copacetic wrote: »
    They had to keep that end low for planning, not sure what you expected them to do?

Build a proper stadium somewhere else if it couldn't be done on the current site.

copacetic wrote: »
    they had planning to make the SLOPE less.ie "the north stand could be taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Joey Joe-Joe Jr Love that IP address U use clever or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Yes. The GAA need to sort out that missing chunk of Croker...

Lansdowne is already starting to look great btw...
    You could do with getting back that chunk of your brain thats missing
    Eaten bread is soon forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Build a proper stadium somewhere else if it couldn't be done on the current site.

Derek - I take it your not a rugger bugger or you would not utter such heresy! Lansdowne Road is the home of Irish rugby - always was, and always will be, long after the FAI have gone into receivership and Aviva a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Steviemak wrote: »
    How many seats will have restricted views when O'Gara takes a penalty or kicks a high one down the line landing just inside the corner flag. Definitely takes away from the enjoyment if you have to look at the screen to get a proper view.

if it's only ROG's kicks you are worried about, worry not. He'll never play another game of rugby in Lansdowne Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

if it's only ROG's kicks you are worried about, worry not. He'll never play another game of rugby in Lansdowne Road.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten! ROG will be back and so will MUNSTER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Derek - I take it your not a rugger bugger or you would not utter such heresy! Lansdowne Road is the home of Irish rugby - always was, and always will be, long after the FAI have gone into receivership and Aviva a distant memory.

I don't subscribe to all that traditional baloney JD. Tradition holds back progress. Think trains!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

I must be the only one that's not looking forward to this, ffs the cap. is only going to be 50k
    When the frog eaters hit town, we will defo sell it out (80k seats in croker)
    Surely 50k is too small no ?

I must be the only one that's not looking forward to this, ffs the cap. is only going to be 50k
    When the frog eaters hit town, we will defo sell it out (80k seats in croker)
    Surely 50k is too small no ?
    I agree it is a bit small @ 50,000, it would have been perfect if they had permission to build up the north end, would have brought it close to 65,000, its a shame but its a massive improvement on what we had!

a blody tub of paint would be an improvement.what a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No way that they will finish that in 'early' 2010 , none . A very impressive stadium if ultimately too small and with rubbishy transport links . Shame the local nimbys got their way, had it 65000 capacity it would be much better but the transport links are not there. I can still see demand for Croke Park even though it is optimally a summer daytime dry weather venue .

Then again Leinster Rugby has cleverly peaked at just the right time , they should be able to fill that maybe 6 times a year if they maintain Munster levels of consistency in group qualification .

Had anyone told us that a 'club' rugby team in Dublin would occasionally need a 50000 capacity stadium in 1990 ...how we would all have laughed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

We were doing fine with the old ground which didn't even have a capacity of 50,000. Why everyone is giving out I don't know. As someone who has been to every home game in the last 6 years, I cant wait to get back to Ballsbridge. So much easier to get to for an evening kick-off than Croker.

Advertisement