Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I am currently using 3 modem, but find it is far too slow when I want to use it, I find that the best time to use it is when everyone is at work or in bed, which really does not suit me as I am either at work or in bed also.

I want to get in a phoneline in order to get broadband, but my question is:

Is it possible to get the phoneline through eircom and immediately transfer over to BT or Perilco as Eircom says that Broadband is not in my area even though three houses (I know for diff have it maybe more) on my road already have it through Eircom. :confused: ???????

any help would be most appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

If Eircom cannot give you broadband,then neither Perlico nor BT will be able to do so.It is the same service coming down the eircom line. Since you do not have a line yet it seems strange that Eircom can say it is not in your area. Do you perhaps live further from the exchange than the people you know have BB. There are several factors which come into play, mostly distance from exchange and quality of the copper wires in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MTG Ros

rugbyman wrote: »
    If Eircom cannot give you broadband,then neither Perlico nor BT will be able to do so.It is the same service coming down the eircom line. Since you do not have a line yet it seems strange that Eircom can say it is not in your area. Do you perhaps live further from the exchange than the people you know have BB. There are several factors which come into play, mostly distance from exchange and quality of the copper wires in the area.

Two of my immediate neighbours have it, yet the reason I say Eircom say it's not in the area as they have said that to the person living in the house between them. there is less than a hundred yards between the 4 houses. I know that another neighbour switched to BT after being told the same story and received Broadband

Ment to say that my house is the first on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Eircom have no minimum contract on their line rental, so you connect to eircom and if the line test is ok, switch to bt etc immediately. You will probably end up paying a connection fee and one month of rental.

Thanks a million Onikage,
    what do you recon on my chances though of getting broadband through Eircom

Thanks Rugbyman
    How do I find out the distance from exchange or would I just have to ask Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

It seems not even Eircom know that! I can tell you my story, though. One month ago I applied for the phone line. They couldn't guarantee I could receive broadband, but said it was available in my area. It was activated remotely within 24hrs, but when I checked there was no dial tone. Eircoms online broadband checker said, yes, I could receive broadband. I put in a fault report. While I waited for a linesman, I checked again and it said broadband not available. The guy came and fixed the line, I checked a third time and it said broadband maybe available. At this point I figured I was already paying a minimum of one months rental anyway so I went off and ordered utv cs. The modem arrived yesterday and I'm using it now. They may be having problems at the moment but it knocks the stuffing out of 3 and I'm confident it'll be settled in a matter of weeks.

So, it took one month of waiting and cost just over €50 to migrate from mobile to fixed broadband. But 3 was annoying me so much, that it was worth the risk. Now I have a stable connection, my own ip address and 3MB that seems about 10x faster than 3's supposed 3.6MB. I know what I'd do if I were you.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a familiar story around here. some being told they can get it others that it is not in the area. I am getting increasingly fustrated with 3. even though tonights connection aint too bad, prob everyone watching bout cromwell!

thanks again. I will prob go ahead and order

Advertisement