Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inductions 2008

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Heya Guys,

For those of you who have started this week, what were your inductions like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bistrosidecar

I only registered today, do you have to go to orientations all week?

Really dont want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Mine's tomorrow. Hope I'm not the oldest person there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The-Artstar

Mine's tomorrow.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Yazz

mine too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

Mine was today!.. was fun but ya know when you go into a place and you know noone so you end up chatting to people about ****e that noone REALLY cares about! lol... and also there was sooo much to take in!!.. but appreciated all the free stuff! and the talks from the student union were really good too:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭claret

Sparxx wrote: »
    Mine was today!.. was fun but ya know when you go into a place and you know noone so you end up chatting to people about ****e that noone REALLY cares about! lol... and also there was sooo much to take in!!.. but appreciated all the free stuff! and the talks from the student union were really good too:p
    haha i know exactly what you mean mine was yesterday and today. The most boring part was the talk on financial tips for students. It was just a woman from the financial regulator droning on about things we already knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

im going for my induction tomorrow for DT228 but it says 2pm should i really go in for 9:30am or is that for a different class?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

I went for mine today and it was fun at the like DITSU meeting...signed up for an Ulster Bank Account lol :D

And Student ID pic NOT IMPRESSED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

JohnG18 wrote: »
    And Student ID pic NOT IMPRESSED

Its a DIT tradition to surprise you with that.Your there looking, thinking."When is it going to go?", and then Bang!! A photo of you looking the wrong way.

I was in today to get some things done and decided to collect my card.And to my delight and surprise he said I could take another photo( Usually they just reissue you a new card with the same photo each year).Unfortunetly in this photo, theres just a big yellow blur where my face is, so its worse than ever.

Have to say do, SU/DIT really pulled out the stops this year.There was Free cans(Coke,Sprite,Orange), Freddo's, Chomps, Sambos, Chips, Bread pans and bottles of Kopparberg
    (non-alcoholic)
    .And Music from an half decent band as well.
    Jaysus, I almost envy you freshers........almost.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Mine was today too. Was good craic. (DT228 - But actually an advanced entry second year student, was advised to go to get a feel for the place)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The-Artstar

Ours was god today.

We found The Shine and that was the afternoon.

9:30 again tomorrow for induction part 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

Anymore opinions on what Inductions week was like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

How long do they last? I've got mine on Monday and then my registration in the afternoon and I'm hoping to move house inbetween!

Any advice welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I had mine today in Kevin St. (Biomedical Science) It was a good day! The whole induction thing wasn't new to me though as i had done 1st year of a different course in DIT already.

I found the Kevin St. induction was much better than Cathal Brugha St., a lot more effort was put in! Registration & ID went very smoothly too. I agree with Joeybloggs regarding the food, ditsu & dit went all out! At our coffee break there was piles of stuff and then again in the afternoon lunch was supplied too.

Long day though 9-3!

Just a thought, i think it would be great if more courses made the effort that Environmental Health in Cathal Brugha St. makes to get people to know each other. In October every year the entire 1st year class (43 of us!) & lecturers spend a few days down in Wicklow together (The Environmental Health Soc even subsidised it) - everybody gets to know each other in depth in a matter of days and it's a brilliant laugh. The town expects the college down every year, the manager in the hostel knows all the lecturers and the local pub throws a party on the first night! We came back as if we all knew each other ages even though a month had only gone by!!!

Gazza22 wrote: »

Just a thought, i think it would be great if more courses made the effort that Environmental Health in Cathal Brugha St. makes to get people to know each other. In October every year the entire 1st year class (43 of us!) & lecturers spend a few days down in Wicklow together (ditsu even subsidised it) - everybody gets to know each other in depth in a matter of days and it's a brilliant laugh. The town expects the college down every year, the manager in the hostel knows all the lecturers and the local pub throws a party on the first night! We came back as if we all knew each other ages even though a month had only gone by!!!

Just to clarrify, as both a 4th year Env Hlth Student and the site rep for DITSU....ditsu didn't and don't subsidise class trips....however...DIT Societies will!!!! The Environmental Health Society subbed the students in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Just to clarrify, as both a 4th year Env Hlth Student and the site rep for DITSU....ditsu didn't and don't subsidise class trips....however...DIT Societies will!!!! The Environmental Health Society subbed the students in this case!

Sorry yeah my mistake it actually was the Environmental Health Soc!

Gazza22 wrote: »
    I found the Kevin St. induction was much better than Cathal Brugha St., a lot more effort was put in!

The CBST induction was class!!!!!!
    I was a bit late but it was still funny and cool
    Tracey and Peter(did i get the name right i think i did i dunno) were both really enthusiastic and informative

Cheers John!

You got mine and traceys names right!!!! LOL

I felt sorry for Tracey the amount of woohoos she did id say she was wrecked :P

LOL...

we had Induction on Wednesday night in Bolton Street for all the erasmus Students....whenever she said "WooHoo" they'd all chant it back....and the room was 259 in Bolton Street which is massive tiered room and it was packed.

Later on in the pub if anyone said woohoo they'd all woohoo back or if tracey was walking around she get woohoo'd at!!!!

Erasmus students are fupping cool!!!!

• Advertisement

Im gonna to sound stupid but what is/are eramus students theres one in my course she seems real nice :D

Erasmus students are those that come from other European Countries to Ireland to study for either one Semester or two.

Because DIT is modularised Erasmus is able to happen.

Each module is worth 5 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) Credits.

To pass a year you must gain 60 ECTS Credits

To gain a Honours (Level 8) Degee you must gain 240 ECTS Points.

By completeing modules here in Ireland, they can be added to the points they have at home. But they also gain a social and cultural understanding of Ireland...and likewise for Irish students who go abroad!

Oh thats pretty cool!! Are there alot of Erasmus students?

250 Students turned up to the meeting the other night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

My induction week lasted for five days!!! FIVE! I didn't make the last two..

College should be fun though!

tasha1 wrote: »
    My induction week lasted for five days!!! FIVE! I didn't make the last two..

College should be fun though!
    I thought my two was bad. What course are you doing?

I couldn't believe it when i saw the timetable!

I'm doing marketing!

that's ridiculous. What could they possibly have to say to you in five days that they couldn't do in two!!

Well they were very generous with the amount of breaks we received therefore half the time gone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement