Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cahir best town in tipp

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I'm not a big fan of Clonmel, I think the town is...missing something but I can't put my finger on what that is. I know the bowling alley is newish but it doesn't seem to have maximised on it's development.

Clonmel is a potentially pretty centre. The mountains, for instance, are quite impressive and give the town a backdrop missing from most inland towns. The quay is ok too. And there is some fine architecture all round, Main Guard, west Gate etc. And history.

whats missing? Bad local planning. The positioning of far too many huge shops along the periphery which causes the centre to be run-down and a bit dowdy. get the centre of town pedestrianised for the love of God, the two main drags are not that big and there are ways into town via the bypass and the quays. So what if people have to walk a bit into a small town?

the other thing that lets it down? there is a skanger element.

In general South Tipp ( which I know because an ex was from there - I am an outside) has a fair amount going for it. Castles, historic towns, mountains ( particularly if you include North Waterford - the Comeraghs which are best accessed from Carick and Clonmel but also KnockMealDowns and SlievenmMon). Compared to other inland spots thats golddust. Let down by bad local councils, and bad locals.

Cahir is lovely. Cashel has the rock etc. Carrick - the least pretty - has the mountains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Just wanted to make the pedantic point about the "Swiss Cottage" in cahir, it is not necessarily an example of a swiss cottage, the name is the swiss cottage.

Is retarded a point as can be made, but i am that anal sorry!

Advertisement