Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to medicine

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

This might be a really stupid question but ive just started first year arts but really really want to do medicine instead. I didnt put it down on the cao but I got 580 pts and have fulfilled all the subject requirements.

Im just wondering if theres any hope I could possibly transfer into premed this year? or will i have to drop out and reapply to the cao next year??

Does anyone know someone who has done this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Go down to your programme office in Arts and ask there. I suspect you may have to wait til next year, but if you decide soon enough to do it you won't be liable for any fees. If you do more than 3 weeks in Arts you'll be liable for some fees if you switch thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I suppose you can take heart from the fact that your points should be more than enough for medicine (touch wood). I would imagine that reapplying is the only option at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reapply and go back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

And in your year out go travel and see the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

are people forgetting the entry requirements for entry to medicine in 2009 are completely changed.

OP try your hardest, explain the situation about next year and just hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

You might have to sit the new aptitude test - entry requirements are changing for entry in 09/10. Dont think you can enter just on your points alone, though you're probably in a good position since min entry points are like 480/490 or so. They dont seem to have updated the website, though this was on the School of Medicine link: http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/undergraduate/undergrad_entry_medicine_2009.pdf

Advertisement