Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes upgrade problem on WinXP SP1

• 15-09-2008 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

hello all,

I have an older version of itunes installed on a pc with XP SP1. I downloaded the latest version of itunes onto a USB stick, and tried to install it on the pc, but it tells me I need SP2 to download, so at the moment, if I plug in a new ipod, it won't read it, as it seems too "new" for the itunes I have on it.

So, one thing I could do is move itunes and it's contents onto my laptop. Is this hard to do. Could I just copy every tune in the itunes library on the XP machine onto an external hardrive and just paste it into itunes on the laptop? Or is not as simple as that. I tried copying all the files onto an extrenal hard drive, but don't think I did it properly. If I could just copy all the song files, it would be easy, but I'm not sure...

any help appreciated, thanks.
    barry

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BarryCreed wrote: »
    hello all,

I have an older version of itunes installed on a pc with XP SP1. I downloaded the latest version of itunes onto a USB stick, and tried to install it on the pc, but it tells me I need SP2 to download, so at the moment, if I plug in a new ipod, it won't read it, as it seems too "new" for the itunes I have on it.

So, one thing I could do is move itunes and it's contents onto my laptop. Is this hard to do. Could I just copy every tune in the itunes library on the XP machine onto an external hardrive and just paste it into itunes on the laptop? Or is not as simple as that. I tried copying all the files onto an extrenal hard drive, but don't think I did it properly. If I could just copy all the song files, it would be easy, but I'm not sure...

any help appreciated, thanks.
    barry

Why do you not want to download SP2?

Moving your music is not big deal - install i tunes on the laptop - then just copy the music folder (where itunes stores your music - the default is usually My Music) - to an external drive; then when you have the external drive connected to your laptop go into itunes under File and choose 'add folder' direct itunes to the copied music folder on the external drive and it will start adding the files to your itunes library - however! and it is a big however before you start importing that folder you must go into the itunes preferences and under the advanced tab make sure that the option to 'copy files to the itunes music folder' is clicked otherwise your actual music will stay on the external drive and the itunes library will just have them recorded as being there.

Always remember that the itunes library is nothing more than a list of shortcuts and your music can be on anything and so long as it is attached to the computer itunes will play it! but as soon as the source is removed the short cut is useless - so thats why the option to add the music must be chosen.

Hope that makes sense and good luck with your transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

thanks for that. It makes sense. I'll give it a try later..

I didn't realise it could be as simple as downloading SP2. The computer with the old itunes has no internet connection at the moment, so hopefully putting SP2 on a USB won't be a big deal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You can download sp2 on another computer then copy it over and install:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

cheers azezil, will do it tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Go for SP3 while you're at it.

downloaded the service pack, and so far so good...

Advertisement